WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raw milk, …. like cigarettes, .. is deadly, .. will kill you

+3
ziggy
Stephanie
SamCogar
7 posters

Go down

Raw milk, …. like cigarettes, .. is deadly, .. will kill you Empty Raw milk, …. like cigarettes, .. is deadly, .. will kill you

Post by SamCogar Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:14 am

Health officials crack down on raw milk

Agencies step up effort to contain 'dangerous product' as demand grows

The case against McAfee is part of a crackdown on raw milk by government health officials who are concerned about the spread of food-borne illnesses. Lawmakers and law enforcement agencies are stepping up efforts to keep unpasteurized milk out of reach, even as demand for the niche product grows.

"Raw milk should not be consumed by anyone for any reason," said John Sheehan, head of the FDA's dairy office. "It is an inherently dangerous product."

But shutting down sales is tricky because the federal government has largely let states regulate the raw milk industry. The result is a hodgepodge of laws that confuse consumers, dairy farmers and regulators alike.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25101082/

Why I musta died 50 some years ago but no one bothered to tell me.

lol! lol! lol! lol!

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Raw milk, …. like cigarettes, .. is deadly, .. will kill you Empty Re: Raw milk, …. like cigarettes, .. is deadly, .. will kill you

Post by Stephanie Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:45 pm

Sammy,

My husband is a food safety NUT! He's extremely cautious when it comes to sanitation too. Dented cans? Throw them out. We keep a thermometer in the fridge. I use a dish cloth for washing dishes and counter tops etc.....must use a new one each and every day.

He lets his children drink raw milk. The government wants to micromanage every aspect of our lives at home now too. They're no longer satisfied with limiting themselves to public schools.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Raw milk, …. like cigarettes, .. is deadly, .. will kill you Empty Re: Raw milk, …. like cigarettes, .. is deadly, .. will kill you

Post by ziggy Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:31 pm

Where do you get your raw milk, Stephanie? Do you have a cow? Or maybe a neighbor with one and who sells the milk?

When I was very young, I liked a glass of warm milk fresh from the cow before going to bed. Warm milk was the sleep inducing agent of choice back then

Back on the farm we always had a cow. And when I was 12 and my two older brothers went off into the Army and Navy, I had to milk the damn thing twice a day. Looking back at it, that was probably the best job I ever had- even at no pay.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:57 pm

When my husband was a child they had a cow named Susie. They all loved her and still talk fondly of her. I've heard oodles of Susie stories over the years.

Hubs has friends with a cow in Craigsville. When we are down that way we get some. We even take a cooler. We've been asking around here to find someone willing to sell, no luck so far.

He would like a cow, but I don't want one. If I explained to you the "why" of it, you'd probably be calling the men in the white coats for me yourself. lol I have resigned myself to a lot.....but livestock is where I draw the line.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stinkyj Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:57 pm

Hmm, I saw a bottle of raw milk (from a dairy in PA) in the fridge at work last week.

I didn't touch it, but I would have if I had been getting some coffee at that moment.
stinkyj
stinkyj

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:35 am

Zig, you are just gonna hafta learn to construct your wrritin a little better than this, to wit:

ziggy wrote:When I was very young, I liked a glass of warm milk fresh from the cow before going to bed.

Cause I'se have a tough time refraining from making a "gotcha" reply to it. Raw milk, …. like cigarettes, .. is deadly, .. will kill you 49761

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:47 pm

That's Ok Sam. Go ahead and do your "Gotcha". I enjoy a good laugh as much as the next person does. So 'bring 'em on', as the little Bush man says.

My older sister and brothers milked the cow when I was maybe 7 or 8. They brought the milk into the house in a bucket while it was still warm. The ritual was that mom would pour a glass of that warm milk for me and my two younger sisters to drink before we went to bed.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:20 pm

Well now that is what I figured Ziggy, ........ that you were going to bed pretty early in the evenings. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:59 am

There is a reason we pasteurize milk.

Try Q-fever, just for starters. Of course, that is just one disease that can be spread by raw milk.

Why not follow your glass of raw milk with some raw pork?

It isn't as if there is any danger in eating untreated animal parts and products.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:17 am

Well I never did like it warm.

But I have also drunk it warm.

I dont think I ever had "store bought" milk until I started school and they had those little cartons that you got at recess for a nickel.

(those who had "milk money")

My favorite was fresh buttermilk with cornbread b4 bedtime.

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:08 am

Isn't that an oxymoron? fresh buttermilk? Isn't buttermilk just sour milk?
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:35 am

MY FIL will drink a glass of buttermilk. Eeewww

I use it in baking and in cooking, and I think it may have a culture or something added to it, like yogurt. Now yogurt is disgusting. I won't even use that in cooking. I can't stomach the smell of it.

Buttermilk must basically be sour milk, though. When I need buttermilk and don't have any in the house (which I don't unless I think in advace I'm making Texas Sheetcake or frying chicken) I add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk about 5 minutes before adding it to the recipe. Works like a charm every time.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:50 pm

GEEEZE, ya gotta have good buttermilk to make good cornbread, ..... it ain't fit to eat otherwise.

And some prefer it when making biscuits.

And I's luv the taste of a cold glass of buttermilk and I've only tasted yogurt 2 times I think.

And buttermilk came by its name .... naturally. Laughing

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:56 pm

Well OC that is a good point. I guess buttermilk that has just been churned might be a more precise description.

But anyhow I used to eat a lot of it with cornbread.

Matter of fact ladygeneral is fixing to go to town I think I will ride along and pick up a carton and have some this weekend.

I have not had any for ages.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:36 am

Nor have I had any whiskey. No, wait. I have...
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:19 am

Well OC I hope you were not having any at 5 am.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:25 am

Are you worried that I might have enjoyed myself?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:34 am

No I hope you did enjoy yourself.

I withdraw the comment.

Matter of fact I might have one myself.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:05 am

At 5:00 AM?

I don't bedrudge you your pleasures. But you guys are weird.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:11 am

It might have been the tail end of a bender and I was still up. I guess it is natural to assume a fella just woke up at 5:00 AM but things are not always what they seem...
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down