WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chickens have rights too.

+2
Stephanie
SamCogar
6 posters

Go down

Chickens have rights too. Empty Chickens have rights too.

Post by SamCogar Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:49 am

And this is no yoke.

IF we're going to eat eggs, I think the chickens that lay them should be able to stretch their wings, stand up and turn around and not be caged.

If we want our chickens and other livestock to live in decent conditions, we need a more radical change to our food system than this, or any ballot initiative, can deliver.

(ya gotta read the latest from a Journalism major at the University of California at Berkeley, so click below)

http://www.dailymail.com/Opinion/Commentary/200807100132

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Chickens have rights too. Empty Re: Chickens have rights too.

Post by Stephanie Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:15 am

Sam,

Why wouldn't you want the hens treated humanely? I buy free range eggs. Smile
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:24 am

Good for you Steph.

We have a place here that has hormone and anti-biotic free meats.

I get hams from there for Xmas presents.

If I still had the farm I would raise natural meats.

I think lots of people are starting to realize we are what we eat.

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:45 am

I see no reason not to treat our livestock with a little dignity and decency. It's better for us too. Chickens that endure deplorable living conditions are much more likely to spread disease to people than those who just be chickens.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:49 am

Well Steph do you believe there should be laws and regulations to accomplish that?

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:16 am

I believe there should be laws to prevent animal cruelty, including livestock, sure. Even that has become a slipper slope. Look at what's going on in Charleston, or is that all of Kanawha County. Now it's illegal to keep your dog tied up more than a couple of hours a day. For crying out freaking loud, give me a break.

I've had dogs for years, although not as long as cats. I have two very active, primarily outside dogs now. I have tried a kennel, but my experience has been that with a kennel the dogs are sort of wallowing in their own waste. At some point I'd like to put up a fence adequate to keep them in the yard. For right now they are on runs. I'm sure that wouldn't be "legal" either.

All I know is they have shelter from the heat, sun, rain, cold, and other elements. They have a good supply of fresh water and food. They have lots of room to run around......a kennel capable of providing that kind of mbility would be too costly and would require a lot of maintainece to keep my pooches from stomping around in filth. We also make sure they are free for a couple of hours a day.

They are my dogs and they are well cared for
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:45 am

Stephanie wrote:Sam,

Why wouldn't you want the hens treated humanely? I buy free range eggs. Smile

Steph, just how much "free range" do you think each of these chickens should have?

Chickens have rights too. Chicfarm

And Steph, whatever size "free range" you decide upon, ..... multiply it by a minimum of 284,000,000 to get an idea how much real estate is needed.

To date, there are approximately 240 egg producing companies with flocks of 75,000 hens or more. These 255 companies represent about 95% of all the layers in the United States.** In 1987, there were around 2,500 operations.** (Number of operations in 1987 include some contract farms and divisions.)

• In 2007, the average number of egg-type laying hens in the U.S. was 284 million. Flock size for June 1, 2008 was 280 million layers,remaining the same from a year ago. http://www.unitedegg.org/useggindustry_generalstats.aspx

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:48 am

Do the chickens have large talons?
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:50 am

Someone needs to tell the raccoons and feral dogs around my house that chickens have rights. I have lost 6 in the past week.

They broke down the run-fence (the dogs) in one case and chewed through the wire (raccoons) in another.

"And the mice voted to bell the cat." - Aesop

The war is on, now, particularly with the dogs as I don't want the pack to pull a child down.

By the way, whomever (and I'm sure it wasn't any of the fine people that normally post here) dropped off a pregnant bitch out on Dry Branch Road, if I get my hands on you, you are going to wish you had been more responsible...

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:11 am

Dry Branch Road off of Kelly's Creek? I was out there yesterday on my bike. Nice ride.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:23 am

Dry Branch Road off of Kelly's Creek? I was out there yesterday on my bike. Nice ride.

It is.

It is also a prime spot for the irresponsible to drop off their unwanted pets.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:28 am

Whoever has goats on the right when your're coming down Dry Branch from Kelly's Creek had one outside the fence trying desparately back to mommy.

And if someone dropped off an unwanted pet, I'd say it's probably someone that lives close by. Not many people will drive that far out Kelly's Creek and then turn down Dry Branch to drop off a pet. Not when they pass a hundred suitable spots before they ever get to Dry Branch.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:38 am

And if someone dropped off an unwanted pet, I'd say it's probably someone that lives close by

No "if" about it. I have picked up young dogs and cats along that road five or six times, usually about halfway between Kelly Creek Rd. and what is that road... Harmon's Creek, I think.

I'd say that you are likely right about it being someone in the area.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:24 pm

Look, they shouldn't have their little beaks shaved and be kept in tiny cages stacked on top of each other. That is very bad for them. They have feelings too.

I don't like chickens. They are rather dirty, nasty, annoying birds but they shouldn't be abused. This was easier for me to deal with back home because I had friends with an egg farm who were extraordinarily good to their chickens. They supplied eggs to several area retailers and I didn't even have to trek out to the farm for eggs. Here I don't know where these eggs are coming from or how the chickens are treated so I usually buy them from a neighbor who has a few dozen hens. When I do an lot of baking and require more eggs than she can sell me, I buy free range ones and pay through the freaking nose. ugh
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:36 pm

What about the delicious bass? Do they have rights, too?
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:08 pm

And about those delicious fried clams.

My gawd, ... ripping them out of their shell ..... and slicing n' dicing them while they are still alive, ...... then rolling them in batter and popping them into hot oil to fry golden brown like a French Fry.

Damn they are fine tastin ...... and the only place I can get them now is at Long John Silvers. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

And I usta luv Howard Johnson's "all yu can eat" Friday nights.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:23 pm

ohio county wrote:What about the delicious bass? Do they have rights, too?

Yes. They shouldn't have their fins clipped.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:30 pm

SamCogar wrote:And about those delicious fried clams.

My gawd, ... ripping them out of their shell ..... and slicing n' dicing them while they are still alive, ...... then rolling them in batter and popping them into hot oil to fry golden brown like a French Fry.

Damn they are fine tastin ...... and the only place I can get them now is at Long John Silvers. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

And I usta luv Howard Johnson's "all yu can eat" Friday nights.

I can't imagine you're getting fried clams at Long John Silvers. I believe I inquired once and they serve clam strips. You're missing the best part of the clam that way and I find them unenjoyable.

When I eat fried clams they are rolled in batter whole...no slicing no dicing. I do not believe a clam has the sense of awareness a chicken does. I've never heard of a clam "farm". Now they will seed beds for clams, but then the clams just do what clams do.

For several years I didn't eat meat, but would eat fish and shellfish. When I became pregnant again I just couldn't resist meat. I hopped right back on the cheeseburger wagon after 6 years! I don't approve of the way livestock is treated. You guys are going to have me living on peanut butter and freaking beans if this conversation continues too much longer. The seafood thing was expensive enough in New England......I'd break the bank if I tried that here.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:57 am

There ain't much anything better than Chesapeake Bay oysters ……. dipped in egg batter and rolled in cracker crumbs ……. and fried to a golden brown.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:41 am

I don't care for oysters......except for the way the Wilcox Tavern prepares them in an appetizer.

http://www.wilcoxtavern.com/

It's one of my favorites places to eat back home!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down