WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marshall coal to gas deal not free...

4 posters

Go down

Should the State be involved in this?

Marshall coal to gas deal not free... Vote_lcap100%Marshall coal to gas deal not free... Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 2 ]
Marshall coal to gas deal not free... Vote_lcap0%Marshall coal to gas deal not free... Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 2

Marshall coal to gas deal not free... Empty Marshall coal to gas deal not free...

Post by shermangeneral Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:03 am

http://sundaygazettemail.com/News/GeorgeHohmann/200808160516?page=2&build=cache

Well according to George Hohmann in today's Gazette/Mail, the highly touted Marshall County coal project is another example of state government being pro-active and working to help our economic position.

Looks like wv taxpayers are ponying up about 25% of the cost.

So I wondered how my rugged individualist friends on the right feel about it.

Is it a good thing to spur economic development or not?

Enquiring minds needs to know...

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Marshall coal to gas deal not free... Empty Re: Marshall coal to gas deal not free...

Post by SamCogar Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:16 pm

shermangeneral wrote:
Looks like wv taxpayers are ponying up about 25% of the cost.

So I wondered how my rugged individualist friends on the right feel about it.

Is it a good thing to spur economic development or not?

Enquiring minds needs to know...

Well Shermmy, ....... how in hell would anyone in WV know ...... if they are not old enough to remember back 77+ years to when the Democrats were not in control?

Is that the reason you asked?

Because even you can't remember the Dems ever spurring any ED.

BETCHA you can remember the "hundreds of tries" over the years ........ and who got all the MILLION$ of taxpayer money to stick in their pockets, ....... RIGHT.

Sherm, how much is that 25% of taxpayer money going to be ......... and which one(s) of the good ole boy Democrats ....... is/are "NEXT IN LINE" to be getting that Grant money?

lol! lol! lol!

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Marshall coal to gas deal not free... Empty Re: Marshall coal to gas deal not free...

Post by shermangeneral Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:45 pm

Well Sam if you really want to know the details, read the link.

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:21 pm

So is this anything like the state spurring economic development like they did at the stamping plant in South Charleston AFTER it failed miserably as a stand alone company?

Perhaps if the democrats in the state would stay out of the economic sector, the state would be better off!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:31 pm

I'm thinking that state and local governments have more leeway with regard to creative financing. State and local governments are closer to the voters than the federal government and have, therefore, greater freedom in financing. It's a whole lot easier to buttonhole a county commissioner than it is a Congressman.

This shopping for a more favorable tax base is making the whole game a lot harder to play. We should have a little more confidence in the fact that we have the largest coal reserves and don't have to give away the whole county.

I'd rather they stay out of the economy,too. But they're a whole lot closer to the people that do all the earning, spending, and dying.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down