WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Independent Candidate?

+2
Keli
Stephanie
6 posters

Go down

Independent Candidate? Empty Independent Candidate?

Post by Stephanie Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:47 pm

http://ap.washingtontimes.com/dynamic/stories/2/2008_INDEPENDENT_CANDIDACY?SITE=DCTMS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-12-30-18-41-34

Perhaps Keli should consider booting Senators Hagel and Danforth from his beloved GOP!

Dec 30, 6:41 PM EST

Independent Candidacy Weighed

By TIM TALLEY
Associated Press Writer

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and other potential independent presidential candidates are joining prominent Republican and Democratic centrists at a meeting that will consider the merits of a third-party bid for the White House.

The Jan. 7 event was organized by former Democratic senators David Boren and Sam Nunn, and about a dozen prominent figures are expected to participate, including Bloomberg, former Republican senator John Danforth of Missouri and Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., each of whom has been mentioned as a possible independent candidate.

Boren said the meeting will serve as a form of "shock therapy" to the major-party candidates to stop bickering and provide Americans with a blueprint for bipartisanship in Washington. The event will be at the Norman campus of the University of Oklahoma, where he is president.

"We used to work together across party lines and we used to cooperate with each other," Boren said of his relationships with current and former senators who plan to attend. "It is a message to the two parties: Please rise to the occasion. If you don't, there is always a possibility out there of an independent."

The meeting comes one day before the New Hampshire primary.

"We need statesmanship, not politics," Boren said. "The meeting in itself implies there could be other possibilities" than a two-party contest.

Plans for the meeting were first reported by The Washington Post.

A Dec. 18 letter from Boren and Nunn to participants asserts that the political system is "at the least, badly bent and many are concluding that it is broken at a time where America must lead boldly at home and abroad. Partisan polarization is preventing us from uniting to meet the challenges that we must face if we are to prevent further erosion of America's power of leadership and example."

"As the letter says, we've literally become a house divided," Boren said. "We really need a government of national unity."

Bloomberg, once a Democrat, then a Republican and now an independent, has denied any interest in running for the presidency even while keeping speculation alive that he might.

Like the meeting's organizers, the mayor has criticized the tone of the campaign as one of overbearing partisanship. He said last month the country "needs somebody that says, 'I'm going to get the best from both parties.'"

Boren said some of the presidential candidates want to embrace a bipartisan platform but fear being attacked politically if they do so. "Many of the major issues are just not being addressed," he said.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Independent Candidate? Empty Re: Independent Candidate?

Post by Keli Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:15 pm

Stephanie wrote:http://ap.washingtontimes.com/dynamic/stories/2/2008_INDEPENDENT_CANDIDACY?SITE=DCTMS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-12-30-18-41-34

Perhaps Keli should consider booting Senators Hagel and Danforth from his beloved GOP!

Dec 30, 6:41 PM EST

Independent Candidacy Weighed

By TIM TALLEY
Associated Press Writer

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and other potential independent presidential candidates are joining prominent Republican and Democratic centrists at a meeting that will consider the merits of a third-party bid for the White House.

The Jan. 7 event was organized by former Democratic senators David Boren and Sam Nunn, and about a dozen prominent figures are expected to participate, including Bloomberg, former Republican senator John Danforth of Missouri and Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., each of whom has been mentioned as a possible independent candidate.

Boren said the meeting will serve as a form of "shock therapy" to the major-party candidates to stop bickering and provide Americans with a blueprint for bipartisanship in Washington. The event will be at the Norman campus of the University of Oklahoma, where he is president.

"We used to work together across party lines and we used to cooperate with each other," Boren said of his relationships with current and former senators who plan to attend. "It is a message to the two parties: Please rise to the occasion. If you don't, there is always a possibility out there of an independent."

The meeting comes one day before the New Hampshire primary.

"We need statesmanship, not politics," Boren said. "The meeting in itself implies there could be other possibilities" than a two-party contest.

Plans for the meeting were first reported by The Washington Post.

A Dec. 18 letter from Boren and Nunn to participants asserts that the political system is "at the least, badly bent and many are concluding that it is broken at a time where America must lead boldly at home and abroad. Partisan polarization is preventing us from uniting to meet the challenges that we must face if we are to prevent further erosion of America's power of leadership and example."

"As the letter says, we've literally become a house divided," Boren said. "We really need a government of national unity."

Bloomberg, once a Democrat, then a Republican and now an independent, has denied any interest in running for the presidency even while keeping speculation alive that he might.

Like the meeting's organizers, the mayor has criticized the tone of the campaign as one of overbearing partisanship. He said last month the country "needs somebody that says, 'I'm going to get the best from both parties.'"

Boren said some of the presidential candidates want to embrace a bipartisan platform but fear being attacked politically if they do so. "Many of the major issues are just not being addressed," he said.

Believe me, Stephanie! I would like to boot Hagel and Danforth from the GOP! Good riddance to bad rubbish!
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:05 am

One name in the bunch I see promise in.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:32 am

A Dec. 18 letter from Boren and Nunn to participants asserts that the political system is "at the least, badly bent and many are concluding that it is broken at a time where America must lead boldly at home and abroad. Partisan polarization is preventing us from uniting to meet the challenges that we must face if we are to prevent further erosion of America's power of leadership and example

Obviously, the whole bunch know little of what the founders intended. The idea isn't to unite, but to be divided. The divisions and polarization is what has kept the politicians from making a bigger mess than has already been created.

The whole idea of our government is not to create new laws, but to avoid such. If they really wanted to do something, they would be demanding that we go back to a time when the senate was not elected by popular vote, but appointed by the state legislatures. That way we would have one house that was close to the people, one that was had some seperation. Merit would have some bearing and the danger of governing by the polls would be lessened greatly. One house might still be governed by polls, but one would be removed from the polls effects. Since it takes both to pass legislation, many bills would die as they should, instead of being passed becasue the polls said the public liked the bills.

But alas, that isn't to be, I guess. I thnk it is too bad they don't do a better job of educating students about our republic and how it was established and why.

Cato

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:03 am

deleted post

Last edited by on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:16 am

Why would the government address the alleged "growing divide between rich and poor"? That's not an issue for the government to intervene. Neither is health care. If corporate "bandits" are breaking the law that would be a proper use of the force of government. You want government to do things it was never intended to do.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:45 am

ohio county wrote:Why would the government address the alleged "growing divide between rich and poor"? That's not an issue for the government to intervene. Neither is health care. If corporate "bandits" are breaking the law that would be a proper use of the force of government. You want government to do things it was never intended to do.

That is the entire point, right there. Our government was never intended to mess int he economic affairs of its citizens, or in healthcare, or retirement. Thoses issues belong to the people and are the people's responsibility. We should be smart enough to see what government intervention has accomplished. Healthcare has been priced out of reach of the average person. Jobs are being sent overseas, and social security with all its perks are destined to bankrupt the nation.

So are as I'm concerned the people that want government to provide these things are mere parasites who lack the wherewithal to care for themselves. Instead they want the government to steal from productive people and give it the them as a handout.

Cato

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Independent Candidate? Empty welcome/smackdown

Post by shermangeneral Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:02 am

Well first OC let me say welcome to the new forum.

(I guess that is a proper greeting, although I realize you were here before I was. Anyhow I am glad we both are here and I hope the others find their way.)

But as to whether the pursuit of economic parity is within the proper purview of government, I stand with old Honest Abe Lincoln.

I can't dig the quote out of my brain right now but to paraphrase he said to secure that each worker receives the whole benefit of his own labor, as nearly as possible, is a worthy subject of any good government.

Honest Abe would not be well received in the current GOP, run by the grab it and run bunch that has grabbed control of that once upright institution known as the Republican Party.

It does indeed benefit us all, as a Nation, to have a prosperous and thriving working class, with reasonable access to education, health care, and the basic creature comforts of life.

Please know you remain in my thoughts and prayers and I will hold out hope of a late life political conversion for you. Very Happy

May God Bless Wild Bill, and dispatch Angels of Love and Mercy.

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:11 am

When the government decides what each worker deserves then we can no longer secure the blessings of liberty, your opinions of the republican party notwithstanding.

I'm glad to see you here, too. It would be a pretty dull forum if there weren't somebody with whom to argue.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:24 am

shermangeneral wrote:but to paraphrase he said to secure that each worker receives the whole benefit of his own labor, as nearly as possible, is a worthy subject of any good government..

Well then, all Governments, ...... Federal, State and local, ...... should be making damn sure all their employees ......... are actually paid what they are worth ...... and are doing what they are being paid to do, ....... and quit hiring more and more people that "have nothing to do".

Razz Laughing lol!

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down