WVU Coaching....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WVU Coaching....

Post by sodbuster on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:45 am

I hear lots of good things about Bill Stewart, and I hope it is all true.

I suspect there will be some grumbling about the Colorado and EC games and don't want to be a fair weather fan.

But does he sometimes look like a deer in the headlights as he wanders around the sidelines, or is it just me?

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: WVU Coaching....

Post by ohio county on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:29 am

No, it is not just you. The State's Newspaper had 84 comments before 8:00 AM. I've never seen so much hate and venom and vituperation. Billy is maybe the most hated man in the state today. He said if he couldn't win he'd just step down. Let's see...

ohio county

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2007-12-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:48 am

Well I have not read anything yet.

I will check it out.

I'm sure he feels like hail, but things are seldom bad as they seem.

sodbuster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:28 am

I don't hate him Jimmy but I do think he's in WAY over his head.

I just don't think a career assistant can suddenly wear the hat of a head man. It is two vastly different jobs and 25 years of doing one doesn't qualify you for the other.

Leadership is a quality that some instinctively have while others never acquire it. I'm just of a mind that if he were head coach quality, it wouldn't have taken him so long to get here. And when you add in his 3 years at VMI (8-25), I just don't think he's the man to lead this program.

That's taking nothing away from him as a person or a football coach.
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Randall on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:13 pm

Stewart definitely seemed over his head last night. He may be the nicest guy ever, but he made Joe Gibbs look like a time-management guru. I think it may have been a mistake to hire him in the drunken post-Fiesta Bowl euphoria.
Randall

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:18 pm

That folks here are self-effacing and careful not to malign Bill Stewart is a good thing, I think. There's definitely some hate going on out there. Michigan folks are particularly happy about it.

I can say first hand that Bill is a decent man. He and his brother were raised by a single Mom and she put the fear of God in them. I can say that he is still a decent man. I cannot say that he is an inspired leader of pampered athletes. I heard this evening from a mega-dollar booster that the negative aspects of coaching are being handled by Pat White. That is, Pat White went out on a limb for him because Bill was not a negative screamer. Now, Pat White realizes that negative reinforcement is a part of it and has taken it upon himself to make up for Bill's deficiencies. Sounds very dysfunctional to me but what do I know?

ohio county

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:52 pm

"Michigan folks are particularly happy about it."

Well OC probably not any happier than we are when Michigan loses... Smile

(if that's any consolation)

sodbuster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:59 am

I don't take any more pleasure from a Michigan loss, who plays in the overrated misnamed Big Ten (11 teams) then I did pre RR.

Granted, that's a lot but it's still not any more then it was before.

Very Happy
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:07 pm

I have no doubt that Bill Stewart is a great guy Jimmy.

Unfortunately, that's not one of the things that wins ball games in major college football, especially when the 100+ ball players have spent their entire college career's (minus freshman of course) playing for a loud demanding hands on coach and the nice guy is the exact opposite who is attempting to completely revamp the offense that all the returning players are intimately acquainted with.
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:14 pm

I would say that Coach Stu has earned at least one more year before being tossed off the Westover bridge. As I said earlier today's game was a good win that very well may have given eer fans a peek into the future.

The one thing I wanted to mention was I noticed in the box score, WV only had 1 penalty for 10 yards. That's a complete turn around from years past when they averaged double digit turnovers and you could always count on one or two a game that would just kill a drive. And most of all, the stupid penalties are gone. You don't see players shoving after a play or hitting out of bounds like they have in years past.

Seems Stu has done at least one good thing after all.
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:40 pm

It seems the end came before many thought it would. I must say, I was suprised. I thought West Virginia Athletic Director Oliver Luck would give him one more year.

West Virginia University has landed the services of Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen.

According to a source that asked to remain anonymous, Holgorsen will take over as the Mountaineer offensive coordinator next season and then replace Stewart as head coach in 2012-13.

Stewart has agreed to stay on next season.

According to the source, WVU defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel and the entire defensive staff will be retained. Current Mountaineer offensive coordinator Jeff Mullen is apparently out whether he lands the open Kent State head coaching job or not.

source
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:47 am

Well, it appears this saga has taken another sad twist...

Stewart's problems began earlier this week when he was accused of asking at least one former WVU beat writer to "dig up dirt'' on Holgorsen. The incident allegedly happened seven months ago, just after Holgorsen was hired from Oklahoma State to become West Virginia's offensive coordinator for the 2011 season and then as Stewart's replacement as the school's head coach in 2012.

Stewart is alleged to have asked a second reporter to do the same thing.

source

In addition to that, it appears Stewart and/or his wife is responsible for a string of stories that have been leaked to the media accusing Holgorsen of other public incidents, many of which have been proven false.

All of this comes in the wake of questionable actions by Stewart last fall that began with Luck informing him that offensive coaches would not be retained. Luck gave Stewart of informing the coaches or having Luck do it for him. Stewart said he would inform both coaches but never did costing both coaches other opportunities.

From there, when the story broke, Stewart repeatedly stated that he was not aware of Holgorsen, at one point claiming he didn't even know who he was even though Stewart had flown with Luck to Houston to meet Holgorsen just weeks prior.

At this point, it appears that Stewart will resign, likely by claiming his love for the University and the state and how he wants to save both of the egg on their face from the national media and allow the football team to concentrate on the upcoming season instead of being detracted by the coaching situation is the motivation for his resignation.

As I said before, I have no doubt Bill Stewart is a good guy but it appears all of the strain of the past few years has gotten the better of him and his actions over the last year or so are at the very least questionable.

I am curious and perhaps Jim can help me out on this as to how people are reacting close to his home in the northern panhandle.

Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:52 pm

I don't know. I was home before I ever heard anything about it. I'll know more tomorrow. You acknowledged Billy was probably a good guy. I'll acknowledge he probably never belonged at the helm of a BCS program with a shot at the title. Like the guy at the Gazette comments said, "You don't select a head coach at 3:00 AM after one win".

ohio county

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:03 pm

There now, my names on the Index page.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

View user profile