WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manchin Grandstanding

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Manchin Grandstanding Empty Manchin Grandstanding

Post by ziggy Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:57 pm

October 3, 2008
Manchin eyeing lawsuit vs. Wall Street firms, execs
CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Virginia may sue investment firms at the center of the national financial crisis over millions of dollars in losses to the state's multibillion-dollar investment portfolio.
By The Associated Press

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Virginia is considering suing investment firms at the center of the national financial crisis to recoup millions of dollars in losses to its multibillion-dollar portfolio.

Gov. Joe Manchin has asked his staff to research possible legal action following a briefing last month from the state's the Investment Management Board. The board manages the portfolio, the bulk of which reflects public employee pension funds. Its returns also fund retiree health benefits, workers' compensation, insurance for cities and counties and prepaid tuition programs.

"I want somebody to pay,'' Manchin said.

Complete article at: http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200810030142

If Manchin really wanted someone to pay, he'd be contacting Atty. General McGraw- who has a track record on making them pay BIG TIME- in the billions.

But instead he asks "his staff" to "research legal action".

Petty pre-election grandstanding is all it is.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Manchin Grandstanding Empty Re: Manchin Grandstanding

Post by Aaron Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:24 am

Perhaps he is afraid McGraw won't turn any winnings over but will instead give 40% to political contributors/contracted lawyers and use the rest to pay for election junkets.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:40 am

I remember when all the political insiders opposed McGraw's suit against Big Tobacco and said he could never win, waste of money, etc.

But when ol Darrell came out a winner grinning ear to ear they all came running with their hand out.

He got million$ and million$ for the state despite the political insiders fighting against him every step of the way.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:15 pm

It's not McGraw's to give to anyone with their hand out, including his contracted lawyers/campaign contributors. Given that Darrell is the states lawyer, the money should have went into the treasury for the duly elected legislature to distribute accordingly, not McGraw.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:53 am

He got million$ and million$ for the state despite the political insiders fighting against him every step of the way/

For the state? The state got none of that money. Show me how it was spent. You're proud of him, aren't you?
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 am

Well you are the one saying the state got none of the money.

I should not have to do your research.

You got a bigger computer than I do.

But as I recall he got well over a billion $ to be paid in annual installments and wv chose to take a lump sum and paid down a big chunk of the unfunded liability in state pension plans.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:03 am

Sodbuster, sometimes it seems that some folks would rather let the corporate crooks and thieves get off scott free and to continue their plunder than to allow the Attorney General credit for collecting even $1.00 for West Virginia from such corporate crooks and thieves.

Previous Attorneys General mostly ignored those corporate crooks. Some folks would rather just go back to business as usual like when the Attorney General advised the governor on how to enable more corporate larcenies.

Where are guys like former state AGs Barron, Robertson and Browning when a corporate enabler like Joe Manchin really needs 'em?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:20 am

You're wrong and you know it Frank which is what makes your post pure unadulterated tripe. You know as well as I do that both Jimmy and Stephanie have given McGraw credit for going after those who do West Virginians wrong.

What galls you is that they, as well as I, don't condone his illegal activities and we don't kneel at his partisan throne. Just like the Supreme Court, the AG position should not be political but McGraw has done nothing but politicize his office by spending millions of tax payers dollars he has no business spending on re-election junkets and he awards cases based on political campaign contributions.

I find it ironic that on the national level you cry about campaign finance reform and you claim it's been your work for the past 20 years but then you turn around and excuse the most flippant abuser of the system there is.

PA-FREAKING-THETIC!!!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:30 am

Well I wish someone with one of those warp speed computer internet connections would look up and verify what I think I remember about the tobacco settlement money.

OC does not usually shoot from the hip like some do but I think he may be wrong on this one.

But I have been wrong before.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:48 am

This was one proposed settlement allocation formula. But the state legislature has changed it several times since 1999.

WV Tobacco Settlement Medical Trust Fund 50% into endowment, the interest is for public employees insurance, Medicaid &
capital construction 50% no proposals

WEST VIRGINIA
Total: $1.7 billion
1st year: $21.3
million
2nd year: $ 56.8
million

http://www.wkkf.org/DesktopModules/WKF.00_DmaSupport/ViewDoc.aspx?fld=PDFFile&CID=162&ListID=28&ItemID=1622898&LanguageID=0
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:54 am

That doesn't tell how much Darrell paid illegal contingency fees to his campaign contributing, junket buying lawyer buddies for their efforts Frank. Any idea how much they received and how much of that was illegally funneled back to McGraw?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:02 pm

ohio county wrote:
He got million$ and million$ for the state despite the political insiders fighting against him every step of the way/

For the state? The state got none of that money. Show me how it was spent. You're proud of him, aren't you?

Well Aaron the allegation was that the state "got none" of the money.

Now the above post from zig indicates otherwise.

And I still think I remember they worked a deal to take it as a lump sum and settle for less.

And the bulk of it was used to pay down the unfunded pension liability.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:06 pm

That doesn't tell how much Darrell paid illegal contingency fees to his campaign contributing, junket buying lawyer buddies for their efforts Frank. Any idea how much they received and how much of that was illegally funneled back to McGraw?

You are the one making the charge. So bring it on.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:09 pm

You know, any citizen can appear before a grand jury and testify about alleged criminal activity.

You who are so convinced that this and that is "illegal", why don't you march right down there and tell 'em all about it?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:14 pm

ziggy wrote:

You are the one making the charge. So bring it on.

You don't know or your not saying?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:28 pm

ziggy wrote:You know, any citizen can appear before a grand jury and testify about alleged criminal activity.

You who are so convinced that this and that is "illegal", why don't you march right down there and tell 'em all about it?

Why would I when the Supreme Court won't hear the case after some lackey democratic judge finds for McGraw. It’s West Virginia politics as usual. You know how it works as you've been playing the game and excusing the McGraw's of this state for how long Frank!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:48 pm

Tell that to former state Senator Randy Schoonover who was senteneced to 18 months for accepting a less than $ 3,000 illegal bribe.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:57 pm

Why do you not understand that I don't want any goddamn crook from any political party to steal money that belongs to the state? This bullshit you guys push of corporate versus the little guy is a smokescreen. What little guy got the tobacco settlement cash? What little guy got a freakin' nickel from Oxycontin? You are sorry excuses for citizens. All I want is balance. If he can sue coporporations and win that's wonderful. We won't have jobs or goods or services here but whatever. I want the money to go the Treasury like it is supposed to. The Attorney General does not have spending authority. Stop making excuses for a crook!!!
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:59 pm

Well I have come up with the following statement re Att. Gen. McGraw

Dated August of this year.

This gives a breakdown of the tobacco settlement monies as well as some other settlements won by Gen. McGraw on behalf of the citizens of WV.

In Defense of the Attorney General
Attorney General Darrel McGraw has given us 16 years of unparalleled public service protecting the citizens of West Virginia by providing consumer education and when necessary, fighting the unscrupulous businesses that attempt to prey on senior citizens, consumers, and other businesses in the state.

Since being elected in 1992, Darrel McGraw has through the Consumer Protection Division of his office collected more than $110 million from businesses that have broken the law and $1.8 billion in the tobacco settlement case. A true public servant and defender of the citizens of West Virginia.

It is perhaps understandable when the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and other out-of-state corporations spend millions in negative advertising attacking him when many of these law breaking businesses contribute to its operations,. However it is very perplexing why the West Virginia Chamber of Commerce likewise spends several hundred thousand dollars in the same manner. Is our state chamber against protecting our own people? One would think that they would be supportive of efforts to “clean up” those businesses that market harmful products and especially those that commit consumer fraud against our West Virginia citizens and other businesses, as well. Perhaps their funding comes in large part from some of these same sources with their unscrupulous business practices.

Some of the negative ads accuse McGraw spending monies that is the perogative of the legislature. Well, the legislature has spent the vast majority of the funds collected by office of the Attorney General. Over 95% of these funds have been used by the legislature to promote the best interests of the citizens of the State.

Some monies have been directed by the court to be used in specific ways. In the case of the Purdue Pharma settlement because of illegally advertising the drug oxycontin, also known as “hillbilly heroine“, Purdue Pharma insisted that the money should be used to finance community programs addressing drug abuse, law enforcement efforts at reducing abuse, and medical education to further reduce substance abuse.

The legislature has spent: $24 million to set up the Physicians Mutual Insurance Fund, which has kept our doctors in West Virginia; in 2007 the legislature authorized the sale of the tobacco settlement proceeds which generated over $800 million to pay down the debt of the Teachers Retirement System; paying down the Worker’s Compensation debt an additional $500 million; and $250 million to the Governor’s Rainy Day fund, which is used to help rebuild from devastating floods and other natural calamities in West Virginia.

The most recent settlement against Visa and MasterCard includes $11.6 million going to the WV treasury to offset a sales tax holiday so West Virginia consumers can more affordably purchase energy efficient products. The Governor first proposed this holiday in his 2008 State of the State address and the West Virginia Legislature enacted the terms of the settlement.

The office of the Attorney General consists of 69 lawyers serving the needs of seven different divisions including the: the Consumer Protection and Antitrust Division, the Civil Rights Division; the Appellate and Opinions Division; the Health and Human Resources Division: the Administration and Public Safety Division; the Tax, Revenue, Education, Arts and Transportation Division; and the Employment Programs litigation Unit. In the course of a year the Attorney General’s office will work on thousands of cases and other matters that come before his overworked staff. Occasionally, he must contract outside his office to hire the expertise in a particular legal matter in the best interest of the citizens of West Virginia.

Naturally, he turns to lawyers who are familiar with representing and protecting consumers in these matters. He certainly wouldn’t be looking for corporate lawyers, who’s financial interests are opposite of the consumers.

Again, negative advertising raises its ugly head to defame the success of the Attorney General and the consumer lawyers. I have known many consumer lawyers and find them to be decent, honorable men and women. Their first interest is that justice be served and in this case, that our senior citizens, consumers, and small businesses are protected from the abuse of out of state corporations. There fees usually run 25% to 33% of any award given by the courts. These fees are used to cover their costs of litigating, investigating, paying staff, and other costs associated with a business. Their business just happens to be “seeing that justice” prevails.

In conclusion, I firmly believe that Darrel McGraw is an honorable, decent, and honest human being. He takes his constitutional responsibilities very seriously. I truly believe, that he has the best interests of the citizens of West Virginia at the center of his work. He has been the most successful Attorney General in the history of the state of West Virginia. Unfortunately, what comes with that is a target from out-of-state business interests determined to take advantage of the senior citizens, consumers, and small businesses in our state.

Randy White
West Virginia Senate

One would think that fiscally prudent citizens would be appreciative of Gen. McGraw's efforts on their behalf.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:04 pm

sodbuster wrote:One would think that fiscally prudent citizens would be appreciative of Gen. McGraw's efforts on their behalf.

Fiscally prudent citizens would likely be more appreciative if McGraw would simply follow the law and the constitution, turn the money over to the legislature and stop illegally hiring political campaign contributors as payment for purchasing his re-election junkets.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:00 pm

..................... and stop illegally hiring political campaign contributors as payment for purchasing his re-election junkets.

Once again we have the spectacle of campaign contributions being at the root of allegations of curruption.

And it's not going to change until we change the way election campaigns are financed.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:43 pm

ziggy wrote:
..................... and stop illegally hiring political campaign contributors as payment for purchasing his re-election junkets.

Once again we have the spectacle of campaign contributions being at the root of allegations of curruption.

And it's not going to change until we change the way election campaigns are financed.

Is there a reason you condone it with McGraw, if not favor and encourage it while with others you ridicule the practice?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:04 pm

I don't condone it with anyone. I think the campaign finance laws should be changed for everyone- outlaw campaign contributions, treat them as the bribery they are, and implement public funding for election campaigns.. But until the campaign laws are changed, I see no good in saying what's OK for some is not Ok for all to go by the same laws.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:44 pm

Well you guys let blind political partisanship negate in your hearts and minds that Gen McGraw has won for the citizens of this state nearly $2 billion.

That is a lot of income tax working wvians wont have to pay.

I cant believe you guys would rather have a do nothing flunky AG than someone who is clearly doing an outstanding job.

If not for McGraw you would be coughing up more tax $ to make up for the $2 billion he has collected from corporate crooks.

In your heart you know I am right.

But you would rather see these lowlife cheats and swindlers left free to ply their "trade".

I am done with this thread.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:14 am

IF, and that's a big if, but IF McGraw was abiding by the law by turning over all settlement money and hiring outside employees legally and going after only companies that are wronging West Virginians, what would his opponents have to complain about?

Like it or not, he is the one giving them ammunition to shoot at him. If he wants it to stop, all he has to do is what he demands from companies operating in West Virginia; adhere to West Virginia law.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next