WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could be great news for wv...

+2
ohio county
sodbuster
6 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 Empty Re: Could be great news for wv...

Post by Aaron Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:12 am

I would agree that Ziggy has a motive behind him saying he wants coal mined underground. We all know were it up to him, he would shut the industry down.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:34 pm

Why don't you two psychic experts get your heads together and come up with a common psychic reading of ole' Ziggy. As it is, you are just competing to see which one of the two of you can spread around the most of that horseshidt Sam mentions.

I would never be so disrespective of accomplished psychics such as yourselves to suggest so, but a casual observer might think that your respective vastly divergent diagnostic oredictions would indicate that you might not know you arses from a hole in the ground.

Last edited by ziggy on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:40 pm

It doesn't take a physic to read what you put out Ziggy.

Understanding it is why I don't agree with you.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:46 pm

Well Aaron most people are opposed to mtr, remember?

That means me and zig are in the mainstream and you are way out on the right flank on this issue....

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:49 pm

And are you likewise opposed to ALL mining as Ziggy is Sod? Do you wish to see an end to the entire practice of coal mining?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:23 pm

No and I dont think ziggy is either.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:38 pm

When you propose taxing or regulating something into bankruptcy and out of existence, that seems like pretty clear evidence that you oppose said action.

In my 2+ years of reading Ziggy's writings, I've not one time seen him put forth any obtainable manners in which coal mining can be a profitable entity.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:45 pm

More than half the coal mined in West Virginia is still by underground mining. Are you telling us that more than half the coal mined in WV is mined by unprofitable methods?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:46 pm

No. I'm saying that at one time or another, you've wailed against that mining as well as MTR.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:07 pm

sodbuster wrote:Well Aaron most people are opposed to mtr, remember?

That means me and zig are in the mainstream and you are way out on the right flank on this issue....

And just when was MTR'ing put up for a vote by the people, Shermmy baby?

Save that horseshidt for Ziggy's mushroom growers, ok.

You do want that ED to succeed, ........ don't you, ........ or do you have something against mushrooming?

Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 249131 Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 249131 Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 249131

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:12 pm

He's basing his statement on a nearly 5 year old study paid for by the OVEC Sam in which they ask leading questions so they could get their desired answers.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Shermmy loves to perpetuate the "untruths" of such devious dastardly acts.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:35 pm

Aaron wrote:No. I'm saying that at one time or another, you've wailed against that mining as well as MTR.

No I haven't, other than to say it should be conducted in accordance with applicable laws- and which you have said you agree with me about. I don't think you and I have any significant disagreement about how underground mining is or should be conducted.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:21 pm

So then you agree that MSHA as well as other government agencies share as much, if not more, blame and many of the ills of the mining industry, particularly in Aracoma?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:38 pm

Aaron wrote:So then you agree that MSHA as well as other government agencies share as much, if not more, blame and many of the ills of the mining industry, particularly in Aracoma?

Maybe, but not necessarily so. The "as much, if not more" blame sharing may or may not be accurate.

But we don't have to agree on those precise degrees of fault to agree that underground mining is a reasonable way to extract coal, and that it should be done as the laws allow and requires and as putting safety first demands.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:01 am

I think mining should be abide by all safety, environmental and other applicable rules.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:27 pm

http://wvhighlands.org/wv_voice/?p=895

Well Aaron I dont think you have weighed in on windmills, have you?

Here is an interesting situation close to home that might interest you...

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:45 pm

Yes, I have weighted in on wind mills and I support them even though are still a somewhat unreliable source of energy. Hopefully one day experts will find a manner in which to store the energy, at least enough to keep them turning on windless days.

My question on Coal Mountain would be, is feasible to install the wind mills if underground mining took place?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:12 pm

http://wvhighlands.org/wv_voice/?p=902

Well this reforestation project seems like it is something that could be started right away.

I figure they would like to have a couple dozen healthy young men for the summer.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:41 pm

Hopefully one day experts will find a manner in which to store the energy, at least enough to keep them turning on windless days.

There is ongoing work taking place to that end:

Published Nov 27 2005 by Energy Bulletin
Compressed air wind energy storage
by Bryce Finley
Certainly, two of the hurdles to relying on wind power for producing energy are the intermittent nature of the wind itself, and the fluctuating prices producers get for feeding the resulting power into the grid.

One minute the wind is blowing (at a high enough rate to make power) and the next it isn’t. Worse, sometimes when the wind is blowing, power is selling for the lowest possible price, and when the turbines are still, power is worth the most. It’s enough to make a wind farmer or utility pull its hair out.

While wind power generation may be the fastest growing segment of the renewable energy business, and the raw materials used to make energy are ostensibly free, the whole business is a virtual Garden of Eden: paradise, but with some flaws.

Building wind farms is expensive, and relying on them to generate either a sufficiently steady source of power for the world - or revenue for the operator - is a sketchy affair.

But work is being done to counteract these two negative pressures on the industry.

Systems for storing wind energy created when the going is good and releasing it for use when the turbines aren’t humming are being worked on now. But to date, industry sources say that there is not one operating wind farm in the world with this ability, although energy storage systems have been in use in other branches of the energy generation business since 1978.

Catching up with an old idea

In a 2003 paper entitled “Large Scale Energy Storage Systems”, six students of engineering at Imperial College London noted that compressed air energy storage (CAES) systems typically relied on plants burning fossil fuels to compress the air stored in large underground caverns, which then used this air to produce energy at peak hours.

Also, besides burning fuel to complete the compression work in the first place, this air was mixed with natural gas and itself burned in a turbine to create the electricity.

The researchers also noted that another approach, called compressed air storage (CAS) would hold the compressed air in man-made vessels, but that “current technology is not advanced enough to manufacture these high-pressure tanks at a feasible cost. The scales proposed are also relatively small compared to CAES systems.”

A few years later, this is exactly the road now being taken by the industry, and by at least one technology developer.

Earlier in 2005, a Vancouver, B.C. company, Encore Clean Energy Inc., released news about a system it is working on that will allow wind energy producers to store energy in the form of compressed air in underground steel tanks or pipes, and release it through a special generator to create electricity when it is needed.

The company’s CEO, Dan Hunter, says his firm aims to be the first to build this kind of system for a wind producer and will use its unique technology to do it.

Encore will make use of its core technology, the Magnetic Piston Generator (MPG), as the turbine for its wind energy storage systems.

The MPG is a unique pressure-driven linear engine designed to generate electricity with higher fuel efficiency and lower emissions than conventional internal combustion engine-powered electric generators or even hydrogen fuel cells, according to the company.

The MPG can use many different sources of energy - one of them the compressed air from these proposed wind energy storage facilities - to generate the pressures required to propel the MPG's "Magnetic Piston" at high velocities, back-and-forth, through a linear alternator to generate power according to Faraday's Law of Induction.

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/11252
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:28 am

Very interesting.

Thanks Ziggy
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:17 pm

Well I have not seen their studies so can't vouch for them.

But they say the development of viable green energy will create lots of good jobs.

So WV should get in line and be first to say we are fired up and ready to go when Obama starts passing out funding for green energy projects.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:22 pm

The problem with all these viable green jobs is that each has their very own problems. Wind is not consistent and when there are none, it takes an outside source to start the turbines up and they don't have a method of properly storing the energy. Solar takes up SO much room that it's not going to happen in WV. The only place that would be viable for solar panels in WV are former MTR sites.

Are there other viable green jobs that we don't know about? Perhaps you could elaborate.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:40 pm

Well for one, a lot of batteries will be needed to store the energy till it's needed.

Somebody needs to make the batteries.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:32 pm

Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 33948 Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 33948 Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 33948 Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 33948 Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 33948 Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 33948 Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 33948 Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 33948 Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 33948 Could be great news for wv... - Page 3 33948

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next