WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OH …. MY ……. GAAAAAAAAWD

5 posters

Go down

OH …. MY ……. GAAAAAAAAWD Empty OH …. MY ……. GAAAAAAAAWD

Post by SamCogar Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:19 am

I don’t believe I read this correctly.

Would someone else read it and tell me what I read ….. was what I read.

Outside Insiders will surely be badmouthed for "spilling the beans". Razz Razz

Boy ole boy, ..... will ole Karl catch hell now.

lol! lol! lol!

When teacher groups unite, look out

The last time the American Federation of Teachers and the West Virginia Education Association played footsie, they were going against a poll of their own members that supported criticism of evolution. The time before that they combined for a statewide teacher strike. Previous history of WVEA and AFT collusion is foreboding for West Virginia citizens.

Now, a perfect storm is stirring on the educational front. The ingredients are teachers angry over pay, an entrenched left-wing agenda, lack of moral standards (the Nitro book issue for example), low student performance and a dangerous environment.

Teacher quality probably is distributed on a bell curve.

Some teachers are wonderful and deserve a six-figure salary. On the other end of the scale are teachers who should receive a little above minimum wage. Some of those should not be in the profession and rely upon teacher union protection.

Good teachers punish themselves by being in unions that lock them into a non-performance pay system. If the talented teachers ever start entrepreneurial schools, the public schools will face the results of competition.

Sadly, teachers remain in teacher unions that promote a left-wing agenda that most teachers deplore. The excuses of "insurance" and "grievance representation" are not valid. There are other options. If anyone should have felt threatened by administrative reprisal, it would have been me. I had no need of the WVEA/AFT for the last several years of my career.

On State of the State night, teachers chanted (one with a bullhorn) for more pay. I agree with the AFT/WVEA that West Virginia faces a crisis. However, the crisis is not due to the level of teacher pay.

For the second year in a row, Gov. Manchin called for tougher anti-bullying rules. I taught for 35 years and we never had to designate a special anti-bullying category. The ever-present bullies were regulated by general school rules. The difference now is that "anti-bullying" is really code for "homosexual agenda."

I personally witnessed state government stealth tactics to implement a pro-homosexual program in Kanawha County Schools. That agenda is fully supported by teacher unions. If Gov. Manchin does not have a hidden agenda, his remarks should still cause concern for parents.

In the governor's own words: "I am determined to ... give our teachers every possible tool they need to take back their classrooms." That means that children are in serious danger of physical or verbal attack. From my experience in the public schools, he is right.

Parents cannot be assured that their children will have excellent teachers in every classroom. As long as parents submit to state controlled education slavery, they cannot avoid a proselytizing teacher, or even a pedophile, at the front of their child's classroom. The only safe shelter is in the home.

A homeschooling pioneer, John Holt, got it right in the early 1970s. At that time many homeschoolers were closer to hippie than holy. Holt declared that public schools try fashionable innovations to get the federal government money attached. As a former schoolteacher, he finally concluded that it was impossible to reform public schools.

Ranging from the 1955 "Why Johnny Can't Read" to the 2002 "Let My Children Go," there have been several books (many by former educators) warning parents of the storm gathering around their children. Fortunately, parents have the ability to get their children out of that storm.

Teaching is not a mystical art. Good teachers overcome college courses in education and learn how to teach by teaching. If you are smart enough to remodel your home, work on your vehicle or cook family meals, you can successfully homeschool.

During a public school day, a very small percentage of the time is spent in teaching activities. Think about it or go observe for a day. (While you are there, ask the principal for a printout of the school discipline referrals.) If a child is ill or injured, homebound tutors are provided. They certainly do not visit the home daily for seven hours.

Socialization in public schools is often detrimental to the values parents instill at home. Many young mothers discover their children learn to be disobedient while at school. Contrary to what is commonly thought, socialization should actually be a major reason to homeschool.

Folks who are already enjoying homeschooling have figured out how to overcome any obstacle holding back parents who are hesitant to find educational freedom for their children

If a siren were warning of an approaching storm, parents would do anything to assure the safety of their precious children. The siren has already sounded for the educational storm. In fact (figuratively speaking), the blowing debris is already swirling around and hitting their children.

Parents should seek shelter away from the public school storm.

Karl Priest, of Poca, is a retired teacher and state coordinator of Exodus Mandate-West Virginia, a group that promotes Christian education and homeschooling.

http://www.sundaygazettemail.com/Opinion/Op-EdCommentaries/200801260218

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

OH …. MY ……. GAAAAAAAAWD Empty Re: OH …. MY ……. GAAAAAAAAWD

Post by TerryRC Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:53 am

During a public school day, a very small percentage of the time is spent in teaching activities. Think about it or go observe for a day. (While you are there, ask the principal for a printout of the school discipline referrals.) If a child is ill or injured, homebound tutors are provided. They certainly do not visit the home daily for seven hours.

This is from someone that used his math instruction time to teach anti-evolutionism.

I don't take hypocrites seriously.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:33 am

He may be a hypocrit, but he does have some valid points.

Seriously, do you spend entire school days in a public school classroom? They don't spend much time on academics. Even at the high school level it amazes me how many times my daughter has come home telling me they watched Finding Nemo or The Incredibles. Sadly, I'm not making this stuff up.

Oh, then there is AlGore's Inconvenient Truth. Last year she watched that video in CATS 9. Last semester she viewed it in Earth Science. Her biology teacher told her last week they'd be watching it again this week. Shocked It's out of control.

If you don't believe that pedophiles aren't lurking in the shadows but leading classes in public schools you obviously aren't reading the newspapers. I seem to recall reading an article recently about the high number of teachers being punished for sexual misconduct right here in WV. This isn't something going on in some other school system, it's occuring here as well.

I don't disagree with him that "general school rules" could regulate bullies. They could if teachers and administrators would enforce them, but they don't.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:44 pm

TerryRC wrote:"During a public school day, a very small percentage of the time is spent in teaching activities. Think about it or go observe for a day. (While you are there, ask the principal for a printout of the school discipline referrals.) If a child is ill or injured, homebound tutors are provided. They certainly do not visit the home daily for seven hours."

This is from someone that used his math instruction time to teach anti-evolutionism.

I don't take hypocrites seriously.

But Terry, does that not CONFIRM his expertise of what he stated?

TRC, if you know he is a hypocrite based on the definition:

Hypocrisy is the act of condemning another person, where the stated basis for the criticism is the breach of a rule which also applies to the critic and of which the critic is in breach to a similar or greater extent. A person engaged in hypocrisy is called a hypocrite.

then you know what he said was truths and factual, right.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:58 am

...then you know what he said was truths and factual, right.

In some places, it likely is. Karl was not helping the problem, however. He was teaching bad science when he should have been teaching math.

Also, why didn't he speak out about these problems when he was a tenured teacher? This just makes him look like a sore-head with an ax to grind.

I have been very pleased with the schooling my two young ones are getting. Of course my wife and I supplement it, but I would do that even if they were attending the finest of private schools.

There is alot of P.C. bullcrap in schools, but I wouldn't presume to paint them all with the same brush.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:31 pm

I hesitate to direct traffic to his site but:

Karl's website

He is crazy and he knows NOTHING about insects. Hell, for a while the dude didn't know that there was more than one species of grasshopper.

Anyone that uses the word "evolutionism" should be drawn and quartered.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Are we in for an infestation of Emerald Ash Borers? What would that do to our hardwoods?
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Are we in for an infestation of Emerald Ash Borers? What would that do to our hardwoods?

Yes, and very little.

Statewide, ash is less than 3% of our trees. It would suck to lose those trees, but you wouldn't even notice the loss in most parts of WV.

Many present landscape trees will be at risk but nursery dealers in the state got out of stocking much in the way of ash a few years ago, likely in anticipation of this.

The oak splendour beetle is the one that scares me. It is a close relative to EAB (same genus) and will attack healthy trees. If it gets to the state, we are humped.

When port interceptions are done, most are only identified to genus. We could have it here in the country and not even know it.

Solid wood packing material (SWPM) is a real problem.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:59 pm

SWPM. Is that wooden crates?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:06 pm

SWPM. Is that wooden crates?

And pallets. And wooden reenforcers for cardboard boxes...

It is supposed to be kilned and certified insect and disease free but our toys aren't supposed to be painted with lead, either...

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:15 pm

I suspect the kiln-drying requirement gets more attention. I had rival pallet makers bad-mouthing each other with regard to EAB's and making charges and counter charges to the WV SOA. Both are Ohio companies but one has a mill in Tucker County.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:19 pm

ohio county wrote:I suspect the kiln-drying requirement gets more attention. I had rival pallet makers bad-mouthing each other with regard to EAB's and making charges and counter charges to the WV SOA. Both are Ohio companies but one has a mill in Tucker County.

I used to do business with the mill in Tucker County. I now buy from a company in Virginia. Do you make pallets Jimmy?
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:29 pm

I suspect the kiln-drying requirement gets more attention. I had rival pallet makers bad-mouthing each other with regard to EAB's and making charges and counter charges to the WV SOA. Both are Ohio companies but one has a mill in Tucker County.

Violations of domestic quarantines are problematic but more readily controllable.

It is what comes from other countries that gives me the shivers - not just because of the risk to forestry, but also because of the risk to agriculture. I have been involved with port inspections and the amount of imports coming into this country (that can't be inspected due to manpower issues) on a daily basis is incredible.

People do not realize exactly how tenuous a thing our food reserves really are.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Do you make pallets Jimmy?

No, sir. Up until August 15, I bought finished pallets. Darn fine ones, too, I might add.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:59 pm

ohio county wrote:
Do you make pallets Jimmy?

No, sir. Up until August 15, I bought finished pallets. Darn fine ones, too, I might add.

I think I had a different supplier coming in quoting me every other week. If there is one business that seems to be easy to jump into, pallets is it.

So what size did you buy?
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum