WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OOOPS!!! Must have been another accident!

3 posters

Go down

OOOPS!!! Must have been another accident! Empty OOOPS!!! Must have been another accident!

Post by Stephanie Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:02 pm

Israeli troops kill U.N. truck driver at Gaza crossing

By Shashank Bengali | McClatchy Newspapers
JERUSALEM — Israeli soldiers opened fire Thursday on a truck attempting to deliver humanitarian aid to the beleaguered Gaza Strip, killing one United Nations-contracted driver and seriously wounding another, U.N. officials said.

The shooting occurred at the Erez checkpoint, the main entrance used by relief agencies to funnel badly needed food and medical supplies into Gaza, where Israel is waging a devastating, 13-day-long military campaign against the militant Islamic group Hamas.

U.N. officials said that they had contracted the truck to deliver supplies into Gaza, and that the Israeli military had approved the delivery. But Israeli ground troops, which control the Erez checkpoint, fired on the truck. It wasn’t clear what caused the Israeli soldiers to open fire, and Israeli military officials weren't immediately available for comment.

Relief officials said that as a result of the shooting, Israel closed the Erez checkpoint. It was unclear whether any relief trucks would be allowed to enter Gaza on Thursday, despite what humanitarian agencies describe as a worsening humanitarian crisis.

"It's a tragic example of how impossible it’s becoming to deliver assistance here," John Ging, the top U.N. refugee official in Gaza, told the Al Jazeera television network. "We cannot continue in these circumstances where aid workers…are being killed and injured, even when they are in direct coordination with the Israeli liaison people, who are supposed to ensure their safety."

It was at least the second time in recent days that Palestinian relief workers contracted by the U.N. had been killed. On Monday, Israeli shells landed near the parking lot of a Palestinian company contracted by the U.N. World Food Program to deliver food supplies in Gaza. Two employees were killed and three severely wounded, according to WFP spokeswomen Barbara Conte, who said that the relief workers were not the target of the Israeli strike.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

OOOPS!!! Must have been another accident! Empty Re: OOOPS!!! Must have been another accident!

Post by SamCogar Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:12 pm

The ONLY REASON Israeli soldiers would open fire on a truck attempting to cross the border at the Erez checkpoint ..... is if it attempted to cross without first being inspected.

Or unless the driver DID SOMETHING STUPID that made the Israeli soldiers think he was reaching for a gun, a gernade or a bomb.

There is no Hamas Orders forbiding a "suicide bomber" from pulling the "string" at a border check-point.

Stephanie, I am willing to donate a little bit to fund a "7 day trip" for you to visit Gaza.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

OOOPS!!! Must have been another accident! Empty Re: OOOPS!!! Must have been another accident!

Post by Stephanie Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:28 pm

My husband forbids me to go. We have discussed it. He says our son is too young for his mother to put herself in such peril. He is, of course, correct. Thanks for the offer though.

The UN claims they had been in contact with the Israelis and had permission for that truck to pass. Are you saying they are lying?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:57 am

Stephanie wrote:My husband forbids me to go. We have discussed it. He says our son is too young for his mother to put herself in such peril. He is, of course, correct. Thanks for the offer though.

I agree. And but for that, I would join Sam in helping to support such a trip.

The UN claims they had been in contact with the Israelis and had permission for that truck to pass. Are you saying they are lying?

Even with permission, they should be expected to stop at checkpoints. I don't know that they didn't, but Sam brings up a good point.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:07 am

Stephanie wrote:

Not to pass UNINSPECTED ....... I betcha.

And what I am now saying is that yesterday on Fox news they were showing PROHIBITED military items that was trying to be smuggled in inside one of those trucks crossing the border at that time. The spokesman said he didn't know if it was the same truck that was involved in the shooting incident.

Now that was another opportunity for someone to be lying ....... but the stacks of PROHIBITED Hamas type military items they had ..... was not a lie. They consficated them somewhere along that Border.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:38 pm

So now, in addition to having drivers too stupid to stop for inspection, the UN is in the business of smuggling arms into Gaza? Is that your contention?

Yano, Shermy is right about one thing at least.....

Lovin' eyes never see.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:11 am

Stephanie wrote:So now, in addition to having drivers too stupid to stop for inspection, the UN is in the business of smuggling arms into Gaza? Is that your contention?

You remember that highly intelligent Reporter that attempted to drive her car rapidly through a US Military check-point in Iraq, ....... don't you.

She got her ass shot full of extra holes also.

And I thought Ziggy was the only one that thinks ...... no one has to obey orders.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down