WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carter Zerbe commentary

+2
ohio county
ziggy
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Carter Zerbe commentary Empty Carter Zerbe commentary

Post by ziggy Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:04 am

"For a majority of Americans, the essence of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness centers on a relentless personal quest to acquire, to consume, to indulge and to shed whatever constraints might interfere."

http://www.wvgazette.com/comments?build=yes&ContID=200901260406
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Carter Zerbe commentary Empty Re: Carter Zerbe commentary

Post by ohio county Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:11 am

Don't try to open carterzerbelaw.com as I found it tries to run a diagnostic on my hard drive saying I have "malware and evidence of viruses".

The guy is a lawyer and is considered the premier DUI defender in WV. Like the commenters said, I need a money-grubbing lawyer to explain to me how greedy and superficial I am.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:44 am

Well, lawyers are people too. And since you focused on Zerbe rather than his message, I am complelled to ask myself why.

Utility companies and manufacturing companies and banks and government agencies employ hordes of lawyers- and pay them zillions of dollar for their services. So how are those lawyers not just as "money grabbing" as one who defends some poor schmuck who happens to have been charged with DUI? All criminals, including those charged with DUI, are entitled to legal representation, according to the the SCOTUS. So why is Zerbe any lower on the scale of lawyerly respect that the bank's attorney who advises the bank on how to forclose on a home, or the corporate attorney who tries to get some manufacturer off the hook for manufacturing a product that unnecessarily leads to the serious injury or death of its customer?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:04 pm

Perhaps if we had some kind of legal reform that would make it a little more difficult to file a lawsuit then to order an ice cream cone at Dairy Queen then we might not have the "hordes of lawyers" we do.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:13 pm

Aaron wrote:Perhaps if we had some kind of legal reform that would make it a little more difficult to file a lawsuit then to order an ice cream cone at Dairy Queen then we might not have the "hordes of lawyers" we do.

Or, more relevant to the discussion about the "money-grabbing" Carter Zerbe OC tells us about, to make it more difficult to charge someone with a criminal offense then, right? If civl lawsuits create an evil plaintiff's lawyers industry, then charging people with criminal offenses creates an evil "money grabbing" criminal defense lawyer industry, right? And so if the cure for one is to make it more difficult to file a civil lawsuit, then should not the cure for the other be to make it more difficult to file a criminal charge?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:16 pm

Well I may be sticking my neck out too far but I doubt Carter Zerbe has sued very many people.

If any.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:24 pm

His message was that Jimmy Carter was right - we are suffering malaise. Jimmy Carter didn't do well with the message either. I thought it was pretty standard dreck for the Gazette.

Frankly, the idea of a guy who makes his living by capitalizing on the misery of the hapless drunken driver telling me I'm a greedy fool is a little off-putting. You liked the article? Fine.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:36 pm

ziggy wrote:
Aaron wrote:Perhaps if we had some kind of legal reform that would make it a little more difficult to file a lawsuit then to order an ice cream cone at Dairy Queen then we might not have the "hordes of lawyers" we do.

Or, more relevant to the discussion about the "money-grabbing" Carter Zerbe OC tells us about, to make it more difficult to charge someone with a criminal offense then, right? If civl lawsuits create an evil plaintiff's lawyers industry, then charging people with criminal offenses creates an evil "money grabbing" criminal defense lawyer industry, right? And so if the cure for one is to make it more difficult to file a civil lawsuit, then should not the cure for the other be to make it more difficult to file a criminal charge?

No, not if there is reasonable suspicion and no constitutional rights are violated.

Courts are the instrument for determining guilt or innocence, not police officers.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:46 pm

Frankly, the idea of a guy who makes his living by capitalizing on the misery of the hapless drunken driver telling me I'm a greedy fool is a little off-putting.

So your problem is not what he said, but who said it?

I feel a little bit the same way about "global warning". I might take it more seriously if its chief public spokesperson were someone who, in my eyes, had more credibility than Al Gore.

But again, why do you pick on Zerbe's lawyerly personna when the SCOTUS says that all criminal defendents are entitled to legal counsel? Do you similarly despise garbage collectors or sanitation department workers?

Al Gore is a pompus ass in his own right. What do we know about Carter Zerbe that makes him any more of a "money grabbing" scum bag than some $100 an hour plumber?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:51 pm

No, not if there is reasonable suspicion and no constitutional rights are violated.

Courts are the instrument for determining guilt or innocence, not police officers.

And, constitutionally, Courts are the instrument to hear civil disputes on matters involving controversy in which the value exceeds twenty dollars. So why should it be any easier to charge a person with a criminal offense than to file a suit at common law?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Well I happen to know Carter Zerbe and he is not a money grubber.

And insofar as the content of his story it sounded like it could have been written by Cato or Sheik.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:01 pm

It's currently easier to file a lawsuit then to poop after taking a box of dulcolax.

Arresting someone is a wee bit harder.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:37 pm

So your problem is not what he said, but who said it?

I have a problem with that, yes. I also believe that I am among those who do most of the living, dying, celebrating, grieving, worrying, exulting, eating and sleeping.

I live in a house that's eighty-eight years old with worn-out carpet and kid-distressed furniture. I drive a car I bought used, is five-years old, and gets pretty decent mileage. My kids all are warm and have plenty to eat. I aspire to nothing more. I am not in malaise and am not defined by what I own. Mr. Zerbe ought to clean out his own garage.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:07 pm

I don't know Carter Zerbe, but I suspect I know his type.

If I could say one thing to him it would be, "Physician heal thyself."
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:47 pm

The biggest problem I have with the editorial is that liberals have no problem with imposing higher cost and restrictive policies on individuals that they pay for with increased taxation and regulations.

The problem they seem to have, imho, is they don't want money spent by individuals going to corporations; they want it to go to the government to fund their entitlement programs.

The first entity that needs to 'heal thyself' is the most fraudulent, wasteful one and that's our government, both federal and state.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:12 pm

Stephanie wrote:I don't know Carter Zerbe, but I suspect I know his type.

If I could say one thing to him it would be, "Physician heal thyself."

Well, you are right about the 1st part- you obviously don't know Carter Zerbe.

Last I recall, he drove a ratty 10 year or so old Ford with worn tires. When he travels outside Kanawha County he usually rides with a buddy of his- a retired school teacher who drives a 15 year old Toyota that's in serious need of, among other things, a paint job. He and his wife and their 6 or 7 kids live in an old row house in Charleston's each end.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:21 pm

"For a majority of Americans, the essence of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness centers on a relentless personal quest to acquire, to consume, to indulge and to shed whatever constraints might interfere."

My father said it a different way. He said that so many people keep themselves poor by trying to pretend that they are rich.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:24 pm

And that is each person's personal responsibility.

Perhaps if they didn't have to government to turn to every time the stumbled, they might make wiser decisions.

Seems big business learned their lessons well.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:57 am

"Inasmuch as you have done it unto the least of these, you have done it unto me"... Matt: 25-14

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:12 am

Within the infant rind of this weak flow'r
Poison hath residence and medicine pow'r.
Two oppos'd kings encamp it still in men as well as herbs -
Grace and Rude Will.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:24 am

ziggy wrote:to make it more difficult to charge someone with a criminal offense then, right?

What is it with Zigster always being so "up-tight and defensive" about criminals and lawbreakers being prosecuted?

Carter Zerbe commentary 249131 Carter Zerbe commentary 249131 Carter Zerbe commentary 249131 Carter Zerbe commentary 249131

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:07 am

I was just connecting the comparison's that OC and Aaron were suggesting, Sam.

If lawsuits should be more difficult to file because they breed evil plaintiffs' lawyers, then criminal charges should be more difficult to file because they breed evil defense lawyers.

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:13 am

But what you refuse to acknowledge Ziggy is the ease there currently is in filing a lawsuit. Anyone can do it at anytime for any reason simply because they can find a lawyer to work for nothing.

Getting arrested is not quite as simple as there is burden of proof before someone can be charged, fingerprinted, and booked.

Why do you refuse to acknowledge the difference?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:21 am

Aaron wrote:But what you refuse to acknowledge Ziggy is the ease there currently is in filing a lawsuit. Anyone can do it at anytime for any reason simply because they can find a lawyer to work for nothing.

Tell us which lawyers "work for nothing". I could use some legal advice now and then.

I thought part of the generic complaint against lawyers is that they are greedy, money hungry vultures.

Having it both ways again, eh?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:28 am

Aaron wrote:Getting arrested is not quite as simple as there is burden of proof before someone can be charged, fingerprinted, and booked.

Why do you refuse to acknowledge the difference?

You have it back asswards, again. The burden of proof part comes AFTER somone has been "charged, fingerprinted and booked".

Recently a WV state trooper charged a guy just for fartin' in his presence. What so-called "frivolous" civil lawsuits are any more frivolous than that?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next