WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Schools betrayal of public trust

3 posters

Go down

Schools betrayal of public trust Empty Schools betrayal of public trust

Post by SamCogar Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:30 am

Tuesday January 29, 2008

Judy Wagoner: School theories can harm students

The latest hurts kids who aren't cut out for college

EDUCATIONAL bureaucrats are passionate disciples of change, as demonstrated by their arduous search for an educational utopia and their abandonment of tried-and-true teaching strategies.

They delight in rhetorical catchphrases such as "Writing across the Curriculum," "Every Child Can Learn," "Cooperative Learning," and most recently, "Twenty-first Century Learning."

"No Child Left Behind" is an example of a pretentious slogan that charmingly characterizes a public school system designed to elevate every student to a level of academic success and intellectual equity.

The lofty goal of NCLB is to help all students reach proficiency in English, language arts, reading and math.

As a middle school special education teacher, I would be thrilled if my students could become master readers and problem solvers.

But unlike the educational dignitaries who embrace theory rather than absolutes, I work directly with these academically challenged students, and I recognize their limitations.

I also observe their many talents, which, sadly, are neglected by our present curriculum.

Teachers unintentionally cast shame on students when they insist that the child comprehend a concept that is incomprehensible to that individual.

In reference to the educational battle cry that "Every child can learn," my peers often have unattainable expectations for low achievers.

Every child can learn, but in the real world every child cannot learn the same things, and she or he cannot necessarily learn in accordance with social, teacher, or parental expectations.

Prudent professionals do not demand an exceptional performance from a student with scholastic disabilities.

All children have instinctive abilities, but our educational system often smothers these intuitive qualities.

Educators celebrate multiple intelligences in theory, yet fail to apply the doctrine in practice.

Students suffering from academic difficulties in the traditional classroom experience the daily anguish and frustration of failure.

They become lighting rods for bullies, drug dealers and mischief makers.

Their deflated self-esteems are routinely nourished by a school system that discounts their natural talents, yet honors those who achieve what they cannot achieve - academic success.

Dropping out of school becomes a catharsis for the humiliation they feel during an insufferable schooling experience.

I can't alter the brain of a dyslexic child, but I can address the child's learning disability and help the child reach his or her potential.

I can also recognize the child's God-given talents and guide the student in a direction that will reinforce those talents.

Unfortunately, programs such as home economics, drafting and shop have been eliminated from middle school curriculums.

The upper echelon of educators has neglected to offer students an alternative to a conventional education. Children whose abilities exist outside the realm of academia are shortchanged.

Fifteen years ago, as a 9th-grade junior high teacher, I took my students on an annual tour of the vocational school, Ben Franklin. They were excited as they observed the many opportunities that would be available to them at Ben Franklin as 10th graders.

At that time, special education students could attend exploratory classes at the vocational school in 10th grade. After completing various courses, the students chose a vocational pathway for their 11th and 12th grade years.

Many of my students would go on to graduate and enter the work force with lucrative incomes.

Searching for the chance to prove their self worth, these book-weary students would struggle to pass 9th grade and attend Ben Franklin.

Now vocational programs that were once the saving grace for them are recommended for academically successful children. Academically challenged students are being denied the chance to be successful in programs that enhance their prospects for employment.

As high school graduation requirements continue to mirror college entry prerequisites, it becomes increasingly apparent that our educational system places a higher value on the student pursuing the college "pathway." It diminishes the worth of individuals who will likely hire into the blue-collar work force.

Educational trendsetters have adopted the buzzwords "Twenty-first Century Learning" as this year's feel-good expression. They claim they will prepare the children for the global economy.

They are disregarding the students who want to stimulate the local economy as plumbers, bricklayers, mechanics, etc.

Adolescents with lower-level thinking abilities have much to offer with their technical knowledge and skills. They need to earn their "right of passage" into adulthood.

They have the right to pursue the American dream.

Continuing to shove academically challenged students to the back of the bus is a betrayal of public trust, and educators at the local, state, and federal levels must strive to right this wrong.

Wagoner, a teacher at Hayes Middle School, is a free-lance writer.

http://www.dailymail.com/Opinion/Commentary/200801290144

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Schools betrayal of public trust Empty Re: Schools betrayal of public trust

Post by Aaron Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:38 am

I think that sums up many or our academic problems in a nutshell.

Not all kids are cut out for college but we have a sysetm that tells kids if they don't aspire to attend college, they've got no chance at being successful in life.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:30 am

Perhaps our federal government doesn't want American schools to produce blue collar workers for a reason.........it provides an excuse for amnesty for illegal immigrants, open borders, and a NAU.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:13 am

But don't forget now, ....... vocational programs ..... do not require very damn many Certified and Licensed School Teachers. Razz Razz Razz

One (1) Administrator is about all they can justify.

So, iffen ya yank 20% to 40% of the students out of "college preparatory classes" ......... then you HAVE TO terminate that percentage of employed Teachers.

cheers

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down