WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Collaborative for 21st Century Appalachia

4 posters

Go down

The Collaborative for 21st Century Appalachia Empty The Collaborative for 21st Century Appalachia

Post by Stephanie Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:21 am

WVa growers promoting field-to-home system

ROANOKE, W.Va. (AP) - Some West Virginia growers want to bring a whole new meaning to farm fresh.

Five farmers in the Upshur County area are launching a program to deliver fresh produce to West Virginians.

Starting in July, the produce will be packaged and shipped by UPS to people who join the program. The price of a summer's worth of produce for two is $250, and for four $480.

Each week brings a different variety of fresh food.

The program is the brainchild of The Collaborative for 21st Century Appalachia, which wants to support a healthy local food system.

Collaborative for the 21st Century Appalachia
1508 Bigley Avenue
Charleston, West Virginia 25302
Phone: (304) 610-3180
Fax: (304) 342-0311
Dr. Allen D. Arnold, Director
aarnold@wvfarm2u.org
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Collaborative for 21st Century Appalachia Empty Re: The Collaborative for 21st Century Appalachia

Post by ohio county Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:30 am

That's pretty interesting. There is also a list of restaurants that use local vegetables.

I believe Roanoke is in Lewis County. I wonder why that story about Upshur County farmers would originate in Lewis County...
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

The Collaborative for 21st Century Appalachia Empty Re: The Collaborative for 21st Century Appalachia

Post by ziggy Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:50 pm

OC, I'd say it's probably because a meeting about it was held at Stonewall Jackson Lake Conference Center- which is off the Roanoke exit of I-79.

Lots of "Roanoke" datelines are springing from meetings held there.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:57 am

Right, there is not much left of Roanoke after the SJ Dam was built.

Thus, it is a PO address for the Conference Center.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:34 am

Funny. I remembered that Stonewall's exit was Roanoke after I saw your comments here. Thanks for reminding me. I noticed they are also one of the restaurants (Stillwaters) using WV produce.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down