WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want AIDS, ...... try a slobbery kiss.

2 posters

Go down

Want AIDS, ...... try a slobbery kiss. Empty Want AIDS, ...... try a slobbery kiss.

Post by SamCogar Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:34 am

And I ain't gonna mention the "eatin ain't cheatin" possibilities. Laughing

For the first time, health officials report that the AIDS virus can be spread by a mother pre-chewing her infant's food, a practice mainly seen in poor, developing countries.

Three such cases were reported in the United States from 1993-2004, government scientists said Wednesday in a presentation in Boston at a scientific conference.

It's blood, not saliva, that carried the virus because in at least two of the cases the infected mothers had bleeding gums or mouth sores, according to investigators at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

CDC officials say more study is needed. But they are asking parents and caregivers with HIV not to pre-chew infants' food, and are trying to educate doctors about this kind of transmission.

Health officials believe chewed-food transmission is rare in the United States, where such behavior is considered unusual. In some countries, mothers do it because they have no access to baby food or a means of pulverizing food for toothless infants.

"But even one case is too many," said the CDC's Dr. Ken Dominguez, who helped investigate the U.S. cases.

The first involved a 15-month-old African-American boy in Miami, diagnosed in 1993. His great-aunt was infected with HIV and pre-chewed food for the boy when he was between the ages of 9 months and 14 months.

Then a 3-year-old Caribbean-American boy was diagnosed in 1995, also in Miami. His HIV-infected mother pre-chewed food for her son.

Still uncertain they had definitively connected the practice to the spread of HIV, the doctors wanted more evidence. It was years later before they could confirm a third case, which occurred in 2004. A 9-month-old African-American girl was diagnosed with HIV in Memphis. The mother began pre-chewing the girl's food when she was about four months old.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,329027,00.html

And the Government is just telling everyone about it now.

Iffen they had reported what they knew way back in 1993, ....... I'll betcha there wouldn't be as many people thinking it was safe to associate with HIV infected funny people as long as you were not having sex with them.

If I remember correctly, and to quote Aaron, "I usually do", ...... way, way back on the old Gazette Forums someone was adamently telling me that "such fears of HIV infection were poppycock" ..... because it was a scientific fact that HIV, the AIDS virus, could not survive outside the human body or its blood long enough to cause infection in another individual.

Well "DUH", it's now CONFIRMED that the CDC has known that this is a real possibility for the past 15 years.

cheers

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Want AIDS, ...... try a slobbery kiss. Empty Re: Want AIDS, ...... try a slobbery kiss.

Post by TerryRC Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:22 am

And the Government is just telling everyone about it now.

Iffen they had reported what they knew way back in 1993, ....... I'll betcha there wouldn't be as many people thinking it was safe to associate with HIV infected funny people as long as you were not having sex with them.

We learned this in the mid '80's. I don't think it has been hidden. Any contact with suspect blood and your mucus membranes can result in transmission.

That is why an HIV positive person spitting on someone is reckless endangerment in most places.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Want AIDS, ...... try a slobbery kiss. Empty Re: Want AIDS, ...... try a slobbery kiss.

Post by SamCogar Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:22 am

TerryRC wrote:
We learned this in the mid '80's. I don't think it has been hidden. Any contact with suspect blood and your mucus membranes can result in transmission.

Oh, musta been reported at half time ....... and I never watch ballgames.

For the first time, health officials report that the AIDS virus can be spread by a mother pre-chewing her infant's food, a practice mainly seen in poor, developing countries

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:49 am

Oh, musta been reported at half time ....... and I never watch ballgames.

I take it you haven't had a health class in a public school in the last two or three decades.

By the way, in the example of transmission that you gave, the virus isn't surviving outside of the blood. The blood gets incorporated into the food via bleeding gums and/or sores.

Personally, I don't care if you believe me. I'm just saying that this isn't news and it hasn't been covered up.

Sorry if you haven't been paying attention.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:02 am

TerryRC wrote:Oh, musta been reported at half time ....... and I never watch ballgames.

I take it you haven't had a health class in a public school in the last two or three decades.

Now that was truly hilarious, TRC, ....... my cited REFERENCE stated that was "the first time," that Government "health officials reported" that means of HIV contagion ......... and you IMPLY I would have heard those same Government employees talk about it 20 or 30 years ago.

Buy those "hi-lighter pens", Terry, ...... buy those "hi-lighter pens".

TerryRC wrote:By the way, in the example of transmission that you gave, the virus isn't surviving outside of the blood. The blood gets incorporated into the food via bleeding gums and/or sores.

Personally, I don't care if you believe me. I'm just saying that this isn't news and it hasn't been covered up.

Sorry if you haven't been paying attention.

How's come you never mentioned it when we were discussing/arguing about said long time ago? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Terry, try another CYA ..... on this:

It's blood, not saliva, that carried the virus because in at least two of the cases the infected mothers had bleeding gums or mouth sores, according to investigators at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

CDC officials say more study is needed.

So, 2 out of 3 ....... according to .....

If the CDC confirmed the "carrier" was blood, ...... why then are they also saying "more studies are needed"?

You are truly funny, Terry, ...... in your exhibition of "protectionism". Razz Razz

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:27 am

How's come you never mentioned it when we were discussing/arguing about said long time ago?

I don't remember being in on a conversation about HIV transmission.

Terry, try another CYA ..... on this:

In my post above:

By the way, in the example of transmission that you gave, the virus isn't surviving outside of the blood. The blood gets incorporated into the food via bleeding gums and/or sores.

I can't speak for the CDC, but the fact that AIDS can be passed from bleeding gums or open sores is old news, Sam.

That is the only point I have been trying to make. I'm not aware that I am trying to "protect" anyone.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down