WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together

4 posters

Go down

Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together Empty Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together

Post by SamCogar Tue May 05, 2009 6:47 am

To see how greatly concerned our Educators are, read this.

Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together

Great schools succeed when we learn from their teachers rather than forcing policy upon them. Successful reform starts at the local level, in the classroom. They are born of ideas developed and nurtured in classrooms by the educators who work with students every day. If you harness the strengths, experience and know-how of our teachers and include them in the decision-making process, meaningful reform from the bottom up is attainable. Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 49761 Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 49761 Engage us as partners in reform, and there is a greater chance that we will generate and sustain real results that help children. Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 33948 Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 33948

http://www.wvgazette.com/Opinion/OpEdCommentaries/200905040288

But to be truly informed about how great those Educators are, .... read the article in its entirety.

Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 197570 Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 197570 Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 197570 Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 197570

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together Empty Re: Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together

Post by SamCogar Wed May 06, 2009 5:07 am

Legislators should 'mollify' the public

Arnie Dunn, secretary of education for the Obama administration, was in Berkeley County on Tuesday to listen to comments on the No Child Left Behind Act, which the administration intends to change in some ways.

Duncan lauded the act, passed with bipartisan support in 2001, for exposing the fact that public schools fail to help many disadvantaged children.

But he criticized the current policy for being "very prescriptive" about how educational goals are to be pursued, and "very loose on the goals."

Duncan suggests replacing the highly variable welter of state-designed achievement tests in use now with uniform academic standards nationwide.

Good for him. cheers cheers All states should be shooting for the same educational goals, so the bankrollers and consumers of public education can get a clear picture of whether any progress is being made.

Meanwhile, in Charleston, Judy Hale, president of the American Federation of Teachers in West Virginia warned …………………..

http://www.dailymail.com/Opinion/Editorials/200905050664

A nationwide "uniform academic standards" Achievement Test ....... would put a stop to most all the massaging, adjusting, percentiling and exclusioning that is now done by the Educators to CTA for the poor job they are doing.

Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 197570 Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 197570 Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 197570 Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 197570 Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 197570

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together Empty Re: Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together

Post by SamCogar Wed May 06, 2009 5:46 am

But then, ....... how does one expect Teachers to be effective teachers ...... and/or, ...... expect the majority of students to be concentrating on learning anything ......... when damn near every school in the State is not only subject to this:

Teacher compensation claims include student violence

Seven county educators say students hurt them this year

CHARLESTON, W.Va.--Student violence accounted for seven of the 43 worker's compensation claims filed by Kanawha County school employees in January through March, according to school system records.

One administrator, two aides and four teachers said their injuries were caused by students.

"It does happen quite often," said school safety coordinator Beverly Jarrett. "And sometimes it's special needs children who cause the injury to the teacher or aide."

Jarrett also said that many times the student-caused injuries result in expulsions.

The figures represent the first time Kanawha County has kept a tally of student-caused employee injuries, so it's difficult to tell how typical the results are.

Jarrett said the injuries came as teachers tried to break up fights or when students pulled teachers down or tripped them.

Even though special education students may not be able to control their tempers, violent or malicious incidents that involve them are counted as student-caused. Accidental injuries that involved students are not considered student-caused.

One recent incident at Capital High School displays the kind of trouble that can arise in classrooms, though it is not among those counted in Jarrett's records.

According to a complaint filed in Kanawha County Magistrate Court, 19-year-old Simone Simms swung a chair and struck a female teacher on the chest on April 27. Simms was charged with misdemeanor battery on a school employee.

Capital Principal Clinton Giles said the incident was basically the result of a temper tantrum. He said the teacher …………………

http://www.dailymail.com/News/200905050842

But a large percentaage of school in the State are also subject to almost a complete lack of student disclipine, especially in the Elementary Grades.

And it is in the Elementary Grades where the students really learn their lesson of ..... "No Disclipine Permitted" ....... and their actions throughout their Middle and High School years reflect that they learned that "lesson" quite well.

Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 197570 Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 197570 Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 197570 Judy Hale - Let's work for schools together 197570

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu May 07, 2009 6:07 am

Giles said he's often asked why Johnny cannot read.

"Because we had to spend half of the time teaching Johnny how to act, behave - and that works to the detriment of not only Johnny, but everyone else in Johnny's classroom," Giles said.

"Because when that teacher is engaged with Johnny and his disruptive conduct, teaching and learning come to a grinding halt."

http://www.dailymail.com/Opinion/Editorials/200905060766

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri May 08, 2009 7:28 am

More examples of the failures of our schools and it starts with discipline. When we were in elementary school and acted out, most of us got our butt busted. Some were refused their gold star but we were all punished.

Today, you can't even talk about whipping your own kid around a teacher. That alone is enough to get human services called on you.

If I had young children, they would either be home schooled or I'd sell the farm and send them to private school. Either that or I'd move to another country before I would send them to public schools in this country.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri May 08, 2009 10:20 am

Aaron, here is an article on that subject that is posted on NewsVine that you might enjoy, titled:

Today's tykes: Secure kids or rudest in history?

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/05/06/2781934-todays-tykes-secure-kids-or-rudest-in-history

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri May 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Very interesting article Sam.

And I must say, I'm guilty of part of it. My dad was never around so I overcompensated and passed up opportunities at more money and a larger plant.

It was a trade I’d make again and again. Of course I didn't allow my kids to grow up and be rude brats and I certainly wasn’t afraid to bust their butts, which is what most kids need today.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri May 08, 2009 7:32 pm

A lot of the problems with discipline have to do with over-zealous social workers and legislators and judges and the like who fear being blamed when some idiot beats their kid to death, or worse.

I don't blame parents who fear swatting their kid on the behind, especially in public. Young parents today are at a serious disadvantage in many ways when it comes to their counterparts of generations past. When I was a kid people MYOB'd. These days, if you swat your kid on the hind end for throwing a tantrum in a crowded supermarket you're going to get some nasty looks and probably a couple of comments to boot. Who can blame parents for wondering if some asshat isn't going to whip out their cell phone and dial 911?

As far as discipline in the schools go, the schools are out of freaking control. Students are suspended and expelled for defending themselves against assault. I know, my eldest boy hit another student back after being punched in the face and was suspended even though there was a teacher who witnessed the other kid hit him first. That's what you get with zero tolerance. Sort of like every now and again you'll hear of a 5 y/o being expelled for having a plastic butter knife in his lunch bag or for kissing Susie on the playground.

To make matters worse, you have federal law requiring the "least restrictive enviroment" for any kid with an IEP. It's a disaster plain and simple.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Wed May 20, 2009 1:12 pm

My wife and daughter both teach. Both will tell you the same thing kids know a teacher can't touch them and kids let you know it. You are right, if you want to straighten the education system up, the government don't need to spend a cent, just reinstall discipline.

Discipline shows that there is an expectation and consequences exist for not living up to those expectations. Today kids haven't a clue what is expected of them, simply because nothing is really expected of them.

Cato

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down