WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Death Panel Dead (In the Senate Bill ONLY)

+3
ohio county
Aaron
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Death Panel Dead (In the Senate Bill ONLY) Empty Death Panel Dead (In the Senate Bill ONLY)

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:02 pm

Remember the death panel that Democrats said wasn't in the health bill? Well, Democrats have now removed that nonexistent death panel from the bill.

Last edited by Armon Ayers on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Death Panel Dead (In the Senate Bill ONLY) Empty Re: Death Panel Dead (In the Senate Bill ONLY)

Post by Aaron Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:27 pm

I don't have a problem with seniors being given ALL of the facts regarding their end of life care and if that senior happens to receive Medicare, I have no problem with it being paid for. Other then the loss of ~30 billion dollars a year due to mismanagement and fraud, I don't have a problem with Medicare.

We do need reform and I understand that. It is because of the loss of ~30 billion dollars a year due to mismanagement and fraud that I don't want government involved in health care at all.

If they could show they could do an efficient job of managing health care, I would be ok with the government running health care although I do like the idea of a national sales tax funding it. I just don't believe they can do an efficient job of managing health care so reform has to come in another manner as far as I'm concerned.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Death Panel Dead (In the Senate Bill ONLY) Empty Re: Death Panel Dead (In the Senate Bill ONLY)

Post by ohio county Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:56 am

So then an out-of-office Governor from Alaska who thinks she can see Russia but cannot carry on a conversation with Katie Couric makes the crazy assertion that Obama's "death panel" will kill her Downs-impaired son, the President categorically denies it, and now the Senate kills the very proposed panel the President says is not in the legislation. Does that about cover it? Not bad for an inexperienced idiot private citizen!
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Hacker Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:06 am

The Senate hasnt passed or rejected anything... they are on recess until the end of August. How Sarah (Wailin') Palin came up with the idea the Senate killed it is just incorrect.

Hacker

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:27 am

Hacker wrote:The Senate hasnt passed or rejected anything... they are on recess until the end of August. How Sarah (Wailin') Palin came up with the idea the Senate killed it is just incorrect.

Senators, who are working on their August vacation, have dropped the end-of-life legislation from the Senate version of the health care bill.Senator Charles Grassley (R-IA) says the end-of-life text has been dropped because "it could be misinterpreted or implemented incorrectly." Uh huh!

In a statement, Grassley criticized the House bill, saying there was a difference between a "simple education campaign, as some advocates want," and paying "physicians to advise patients about end-of-life care."

Why pay a doctor to do what every registration clerk--for free (at least there is no extra fee)--tells you about when you are hospitalized?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:05 am

When my mother was in the hospital with COPD, it wasn't a registration clerk who came to explain the various life saving techniques you was forgoing by signing a DNR. The only reason the doctor explained it to her was because I got him in the room and forced him to.

For instance, she did not know that by signing a blanket DNR, were she to get choked on food, a simple Heimlich maneuver couldn't be performed. In the end, she modified her DNR to certain procedures she refused to have.

I see nothing wrong with paying a doctor to discuss all the options those facing the end have.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:23 pm

So, to reiterate yet once again, Palin claimed the "death panel" would deny care to her son, the President denied the legislation contained langauge that would include a "death panel", and in the interim the Senate committee has deleted the language authorizing the "death panel". Again, for a private citizen to make an assertion and cause the United States Senate to take action to address her concerns is unprecendented. What part of this is inaccurate?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:51 pm

ohio county wrote:So, to reiterate yet once again, Palin claimed the "death panel" would deny care to her son, the President denied the legislation contained langauge that would include a "death panel", and in the interim the Senate committee has deleted the language authorizing the "death panel". Again, for a private citizen to make an assertion and cause the United States Senate to take action to address her concerns is unprecendented. What part of this is inaccurate?

The part that is inaccurate is Palin stoopid, she not nuance like Obama--or any Democrat, she Alaskan.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:48 pm

You nailed it, Jim. To my knowledge, it is without precedent.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:20 pm

Death Panel Dead (In the Senate Bill ONLY) Red-Flag02
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:27 pm

Well this is one of those issues like climate change that I dont understand how/why it has to be political.

I think when the final time comes it is up to the patient and whoever else they choose to help them.

There are some who will choose to cling to the bitter end and some will rather die with dignity.

The choice is the patient's, regardless of politics.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:48 pm

ohio county wrote:So, to reiterate yet once again, Palin claimed the "death panel" would deny care to her son, the President denied the legislation contained langauge that would include a "death panel", and in the interim the Senate committee has deleted the language authorizing the "death panel". Again, for a private citizen to make an assertion and cause the United States Senate to take action to address her concerns is unprecendented. What part of this is inaccurate?

Why do you think he dropped it so easily OC considering he claimed all it did was pay for counseling senior patients on end of life options?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:30 am

He may well be sincere in that he wanted the panel to counsel patients at the end of their lives. The problem arises down the road when Obama is no longer running things. The existence of such a panel is an invitation to meddling do-gooders to usurp powers that logically belong to God and institute a program of euthanasia. Why don't we eliminate that temptation at the outset and restore the relationship of doctor/patient as it should be? The government has no proper place in that relationship and will surely abuse or bungle whatever part it plays there.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:32 am

The choice is the patient's, regardless of politics.

Exactly my point. Why relinquish one's choice to a government panel whose goal is to cut costs?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:03 am

I don't mean to drone on and on about this. I think that Mark Steyn, a former New Zealander, is the best writer and clearest thinker in the business today. I reference this screed in what is clearly a right wing opinion journal:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=OTAxYzFjODdiN2E3OWUyNzY1MDU1ODM1ZjZjYmY3YjM=

The problem with rationing care is that most of the care is required for the old and the infirm. Healthy people (most of us) don't require a lot of care and will not, therefore, experience rationing. But in order to cut costs as Obama insists must occur, can we not agree that care will necessarily have to be rationed? If so, who decides?

Obama says he doesn't want to "kill Granny". I am heartened by this but only a little. Why would an elected official have any constitutional authority to kill anyone? I fail to see the humor.

The Bill of Rights reserves a host of rights to the People and denies any recourse to the government. The Founders understood that an omnipotent government is an oppressive government. This is a good example. In a healthcare system operated by the government with a stated goal of saving money, it will be become necessary to ration care. A panel set up to counsel you on end of life care will be sorely tempted to deny you care. If end of life decisions are best made by the patient, why do we want our government involved?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 am

Great article, Jim. Thanks for sharing it.

I think there may be some bit of good to come from this debate.

For decades patients in the US have been able to obtain every possible treatment to prolong their death. I'm talking about people without hope, suffering from diseases with no cure, or too far advanced for medical professionals to do anything other than stall the inevitable. This is extremely costly and although their deaths may be temporarily stalled, they enjoy no quality of life and no expense is spared.

Most adults can refuse such treatment, opting instead for palliative care and can sign advanced directives or assign power of attorney to a loved one allowing "the plug to be pulled" and this is certainly an improvement to the way things used to be. I was just a kid but I remember hearing the news that Karen Ann Quinlan's family won the right to have her removed from life support.

Perhaps this discussion will lead to states to pass legislation that will allow doctors and loved ones to help people dying slowly and painfully end their suffering if they so choose. Honestly, when it comes to end of life options in this nation we are kinder to our pets than we are to our parents and grandparents.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hacker Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:02 am

http://www.nrlc.org/news/1999/NRL599/kevliz.html
Kevorkian Serving 10- to 25-Year Murder Sentence

Remember Dr. Death?
He tried to make euthanasia legal?

How can anyone possibly believe there will be a death panel?
Beyond anyone's wild imagination....

Hacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:12 am

Once again Jim you've helped me see the light. I don't favor a panel conseling patients. I favor a patients doctor the right and no matter who pays the bill, once a patient and a doctor are alone in the room, no one can prevent a decent doctor from being honest as my mothers was.

I only have one more question.

Why aren't you in our legislature helping to drag this state out of 80 years of hell?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:13 am

Hacker wrote:http://www.nrlc.org/news/1999/NRL599/kevliz.html
Kevorkian Serving 10- to 25-Year Murder Sentence

Remember Dr. Death?
He tried to make euthanasia legal?

How can anyone possibly believe there will be a death panel?
Beyond anyone's wild imagination....

And???
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:17 am

Hacker,

If you can't see the difference between decriminalizing assisted suicide for terminally and chronically ill citizens and denying costly treatments for older people I don't know what to say. Perhaps I can point you in the right direction.

Let me see what I can come up with.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:35 am

Thank you. That's very flattering. Outside of not being able to get elected, I'm afraid I'd become as corrupt and full of myself as the rest of those dick heads.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:52 am

Perhaps I have found what you need for clarity. I realize sometimes these big issues can be difficult for simple folks to wrap their minds around.

Measuring effectiveness and cost effectiveness: the QALY

With the rapid advances in modern medicine, most people accept that no publicly funded healthcare system, including the NHS, can possibly pay for every new medical treatment which becomes available. The enormous costs involved mean that choices have to be made.

It makes sense to focus on treatments that improve the quality and/or length of someone’s life and, at the same time, are an effective use of NHS resources.

NICE takes all these factors into account when it carries out its technology appraisals (TAs) on new drugs. Our expert review groups (comprising both health professionals and patients) examine independently-verified evidence on how well a drug works and whether it provides good value for money.

To ensure our judgements are fair, we use a standard and internationally recognised method to compare different drugs and measure their clinical effectiveness: the quality-adjusted life years measurement (the ‘QALY’).

How is this calculated?
Although one treatment might help someone live longer, it might also have serious side effects. (For example, it might make them feel sick, put them at risk of other illnesses or leave them permanently disabled.) Another treatment might not help someone to live as long, but it may improve their quality of life while they are alive (for example, by reducing their pain or disability).

The QALY method helps us measure these factors so that we can compare different treatments for the same and different conditions. A QALY gives an idea of how many extra months or years of life of a reasonable quality a person might gain as a result of treatment (particularly important when considering treatments for chronic conditions).

A number of factors are considered when measuring someone’s quality of life, in terms of their health. They include, for example, the level of pain the person is in, their mobility and their general mood. The quality of life rating can range from negative values below 0 (worst possible health) to 1 (the best possible health). (See the box below for an example of how this works in practice.)

What about cost effectiveness?
Having used the QALY measurement to compare how much someone’s life can be extended and improved, we then consider cost effectiveness – that is, how much the drug or treatment costs per QALY. This is the cost of using the drugs to provide a year of the best quality of life available - it could be one person receiving one QALY, but is more likely to be a number of people receiving a proportion of a QALY – for example 20 people receiving 0.05 of a QALY.

Cost effectiveness is expressed as ‘£ per QALY’.

Each drug is considered on a case-by-case basis. Generally, however, if a treatment costs more than £20,000-30,000 per QALY, then it would not be considered cost effective.

How a QALY is calculated
Patient x has a serious, life-threatening condition.

If he continues receiving standard treatment he will live for 1 year and his quality of life will be 0.4 (0 or below = worst possible health, 1= best possible health)
If he receives the new drug he will live for 1 year 3 months (1.25 years), with a quality of life of 0.6.
The new treatment is compared with standard care in terms of the QALYs gained:

Standard treatment: 1 (year’s extra life) x 0.4 = 0.4 QALY
New treatment: 1.25 (1 year, 3 months extra life) x 0.6 = 0.75 QALY
Therefore, the new treatment leads to 0.35 additional QALYs (that is: 0.75 –0.4 QALY = 0.35 QALYs).

The cost of the new drug is assumed to be £10,000, standard treatment costs £3000.
The difference in treatment costs (£7000) is divided by the QALYs gained (0.35) to calculate the cost per QALY. So the new treatment would cost £20,000 per QALY.

Now compare that to this:

Purdy court ruling 'could make assisted suicide more difficult'

A GP arrested last week for helping patients travel to Switzerland to die said yesterday that a landmark ruling on assisted suicide may make the situation more difficult for the terminally ill.

In the ruling, Debbie Purdy, who is suffering from multiple sclerosis, last week won the right to have the law on assisted suicide clarified by the law lords. As a result, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) must state when prosecutions would be launched against those who accompany people abroad to take their own lives.

Ms Purdy wants her husband, Omar Puente, to be able to accompany her to a clinic in Switzerland without fear of arrest, when she chooses to die.

But Dr Michael Irwin, who has accompanied several terminally ill people to die at the Dignitas clinic in Zurich, said last night that he fears her case will in fact make it more difficult for relatives to travel with patients. Dr Irwin, who is on police bail for helping to fund a patient's death at Dignitas, said that a formal explanation of the law "could open a can of worms".

At least 115 Britons have killed themselves at Dignitas, often accompanied by relatives who risk up to 14 years in prison by travelling with them. Last week the law lords told the DPP, Keir Starmer, to clarify how his department decides whether or not to prosecute in assisted suicide cases. Dr Irwin fears that this clarification – which will appear as guidelines in September, before a consultation – will actually make relatives more vulnerable to prosecution.

"I've been concerned about the Debbie Purdy case from the start", he said. "It may make it more difficult for people because she's asking to have the [DPP] to come out publicly and say what friends and family might face.

"It all depends on the guidelines the DPP sets out in September, but he's boxed into a corner by the law lords now. Starmer himself mentioned financial gain as a consideration for guidelines and that could apply to a spouse or even grown-up children. You may have a situation where people have to rewrite a will to leave out a spouse so that they can't be prosecuted. It might have been a mistake to promote the Debbie Purdy case: it has drawn people's attention to the issue, which is good, but it could open a can of worms."

James Harris at Dignity in Dying, which has been promoting Mrs Purdy's case, said: "I don't share the concern. There may be aspects of the DPP's ruling that people want to question, but we'll have to wait until September. We think clarification is better than the current muddle where you have a blanket law which covers all assistance to suicide and isn't enforced."

Dr Irwin was arrested on Friday for giving 58-year-old terminal cancer patient Raymond Cutkelvin £1,500 towards the cost of his assisted suicide in 2007. The doctor had called on the police to arrest him a week after they arrested Mr Cutkelvin's partner of 28 years, Alan Cutkelvin Rees, 57, who also accompanied Mr Cutkelvin to the Dignitas clinic. Both men are on police bail until 23 September, but Dr Irwin says he intends to accompany another patient to the clinic in that time.

So on the one hand, England will deny care to sicker older patients based upon "QALY" yet they are arresting and prosecuting people for helping terminally and chronically ill people trave to Switzerland to end their own lives.

Nah, we have nothing to worry about now do we?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:56 am

The gentleman from Ohio County corrupted? I don't see that happening, Jim. Electable? If you could get your opponent(s) to accept a challenge to debate publicly you'd win in a landslide.

You are one of the most intelligent, well read, and articulate people I've ever encountered anywhere in both the "real world" and the online community. You'd run circles around them.

I'm not the only person who thinks West Virginia needs your services.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:58 am

I would move to Ohio County to vote for you and bring all of my dead relatives with me.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Hacker Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:22 pm

"If you can't see the difference between decriminalizing assisted suicide for terminally and chronically ill citizens and denying costly treatments for older people I don't know what to say. Perhaps I can point you in the right direction. "

Stephanie: The point being., it's unlawful to kill.
I cant believe you would condone this.
Where it it written that we will be denied costly treatments?

I dont know where you live, but here in Chesapeake we have electronic medical records. Therefore, each treatment is recorded and not unncessarily repeated. I think that is the goal.

I have healthcare (part of it government run). I believe everyone should be covered.

Hacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next