WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unleashing Capitalism: Why Prosperity Stops at the WV Border

4 posters

Go down

Unleashing Capitalism: Why Prosperity Stops at the WV Border Empty Unleashing Capitalism: Why Prosperity Stops at the WV Border

Post by ohio county Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:22 pm

That's the title of my daughter's textbook. The editor, Russell S. Sobel, Ph.D., says in his preface:

...THe average citizen in West Virginia's 28 border counties is $2,347 poorer than the average citizen in the 34 counties on the other side of our border...Most of these counties have virtually identical demographics and geography as their counterparts in West Virginia. The explanation for the difference in prosperity is that these areas simply have better state policies."

I won't have time to read this whole book until June. I will have more to say then...
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Unleashing Capitalism: Why Prosperity Stops at the WV Border Empty Re: Unleashing Capitalism: Why Prosperity Stops at the WV Border

Post by Cato Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:39 pm

Sometime back I was working with the Norfolk Southern folks on a couple projects and the issue of state policy came up. I don't if anyone is aware or not but most railroads have an economic development section. I was informed that Norfolk Southern didn't do much in West Virginia because of the business climate. Torts was one of the big issues as was taxes.

By the way do I understand you correctly that this is a textbook?

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Unleashing Capitalism: Why Prosperity Stops at the WV Border Empty Re: Unleashing Capitalism: Why Prosperity Stops at the WV Border

Post by ziggy Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:14 am

The explanation for the difference in prosperity is that these areas simply have better state policies."

And which includes a more comprehensive and effective tax structure that pays public employees higher salaries with better benefits?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:16 am

I was informed that Norfolk Southern didn't do much in West Virginia because of the business climate.

It hauls a lot of coal. And as the WV Coal Association says, "Coal is West Virginia".
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:12 am

and effective tax structure that pays public employees higher salaries with better benefits

YUP, you sure got that right.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:13 pm

By the way do I understand you correctly that this is a textbook?

Yes, sir. And I'll be quoting it extensively in a couple more weeks. I can't wait...
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down