WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it "macroni n' cheese" time again

3 posters

Go down

Is it "macroni n' cheese" time again Empty Is it "macroni n' cheese" time again

Post by SamCogar Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:37 pm

If you’re looking for a sure sign the U.S. economy is headed in the wrong direction, all you need to do is look at the skyrocketing price of “recession-proof” foods: pizza, hot dogs, bagels and beer.

For many Americans, the credit crunch and the mortgage mess have left their pocketbooks – and their cupboards – bare. These same consumers, many living paycheck to paycheck, have relied on these cheaper foods to keep their expenditures down. Not anymore.

In the past few months, the news has gone from bad to worse:

- Pizza makers have seen their cheese costs soar this year from $1.30 a pound to $1.76 a pound.

- Even worse, the flour used to make the dough has gone from $3-$7 dollars a bushel to $25 a bushel in less than a year.

- Beer makers have been forced to raise their prices because of the skyrocketing price of hops – one of the principle ingredients. The price of hops has gone from about $4 a pound in September to $40 a pound. The price of barley, beer’s other main ingredient, has nearly doubled.

- Bagel shops have struggled to hold the line on prices and keep their customers. The exploding wheat prices have made the $1 bagel a fact of life in big cities such as New York. Donuts are averaging $1.50. And many shop owners fear a wheat shortage will drive prices even higher.

- Even the lowly hot dog is getting more expensive. Gray’s Papaya, a New York hot dog institution, will be jacking up the price for its $3.50 “Recession Special” – two hot dogs and a 14-ounce drink. Nicholas Gray, owner of the frankfurter chain, has yet to set the price increase, but he indicated it is coming soon.

- Overall, retail food prices rose 4 percent last year – the biggest jump in 17 years. The USDA officials predicted another 3 percent to 4 percent increase this year and continuing price hikes, faster than the pace of inflation going into 2010. And the price pinch has hit the lower-income shoppers hardest.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23415510/

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Is it "macroni n' cheese" time again Empty Re: Is it "macroni n' cheese" time again

Post by Stephanie Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:44 pm

Sounds more like your title should read, "It's crying time again", Sam.

I fail to see how borrowing more money, or simply printing more money, will make things any better. It will surely make things worse.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Is it "macroni n' cheese" time again Empty Re: Is it "macroni n' cheese" time again

Post by Aaron Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:09 pm

I agree. I think we should cut all uncostitutional spending. That seems like a great place to start to me.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:51 am

Is it "macroni n' cheese" time again

Stephanie wrote:Sounds more like your title should read, "It's crying time again", Sam.

I fail to see how borrowing more money, or simply printing more money, will make things any better. It will surely make things worse.

Steph, there was a specific reason I chose that title.

There are a few Economists who closely watch the retail sales of boxes of "Macroni and Cheese" ......... to predict the "direction" our economy is heading.

If the weekly/monthly sales of "Macroni and Cheese" start decreasing, ...... that is a "sure sign" that the economy is starting to improve, ..... getting better.

If the weekly/monthly sales of "Macroni and Cheese" start increasing, ...... that is a "sure sign" that the economy is starting to flounder, ...... getting worse.

Steph, when the Lower and Lower-middle Class's "paycheck" starts running out before the month does, ............ they start "stocking-up" on "Macroni and Cheese" ...... and even you should know how many different "full meal deals" can be prepared with just 1 box of it.

When Violet is not in the mood to cook she will grab a box of M&C and create what she calls "lump n' glump" .... and I never have a clue what she is going to add to it. It might be hamburger, sausage and/or whatever else she finds in the fridge.

cheers

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:53 am

Aaron wrote:I agree. I think we should cut all uncostitutional spending. That seems like a great place to start to me.

You mean like undeclared wars and toppeling foreign governments and propping up dicators? I sure hope so. BTW....have you seen the latest on how much more aid we will be sending to Israel in both weapons and cash?

ugh
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:32 am

Stephanie wrote:You mean like undeclared wars...

So tell me, how is...

"You have our permission to enter into war with Iraq and use military force to obtain the following objectives..."

different from

"We declare war on..."

The goal of the founding fathers in giving declaration of war powers to Congress was to ensure Congress was involved in the decision making process, that they debate the need for war and then vote a simple yes or no on whether to allow the President to lead the country into war. So how did that not happen?

From that point, according to the constitution, they have zero say so in how the war is run so one could argue that the only 'unconstitutional' part of the process is the continued attempts by Congress to manage the war which is specifically not allowed by the constitutional powers. Wouldn't you agree!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down