WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

State Route 35

3 posters

Go down

State Route 35 Empty State Route 35

Post by Aaron Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:13 pm

I sent the following letter to my Representatives. I wonder what response I will get. The letter to Congresswoman Capito is slightly different.

Dear ____________________,

I am writing to you regarding the situation surrounding Route 35 and the proposed toll road currently under consideration by the state of West Virginia. I recently attended a meeting in which a member of Governor Manchin’s advisory committee on this subject, a Mr. Lanham told us that at this time, there was no money for this project and the only option to complete this road was to sell bonds and pay for them by placing a toll on this road.

I do not understand why this funding was not included in the original American Recovery and Reinvestment Act as the total to complete the project was less then 3/10ths of one percent of total stimulus spending.

When we as tax paying citizens have ask this question, we were originally told that the project was not shovel ready despite ongoing construction. And then at the meeting last week, we were told that it was because West Virginia only received a certain amount of stimulus money for infrastructure and this project would have consumed the majority of that spending. As you are aware, the Stimulus Act required 3 Republican votes on cloture to allow the bill to progress.

While I realize the role of the Senate is to look out for the interest of the nation, they sill hold responsibility to the constituents who elected them and had either Senator Byrd or yourself demanded this project be included in that bill or threatened to withhold your vote on cloture, it would have been included in the stimulus bill.

I then ask why this project would not be covered under the current stimulus being proposed by the Obama Administration and was told that it could not be considered because this stimulus was for repair and did not include new construction.

To me, this makes no sense. We as a nation are facing a debt that will soon exceed our GNP, spending over the past 5 years has tripled yet we as citizens are being told that there is no money available for this project.

As you are well aware, while Route 35 is a local two lane highway in Putnam and Mason Counties, it is also a segment of a primary transportation route connecting the southeast with the Midwest and as a result, the majority of the traffic on this road is out of state logistical traffic. As such, I cannot imagine why the federal government cannot take more of a role in funding this road.

Can you please explain to me what your position is on this road and what you are doing in Washington to possibly obtain funding for this road?

Sincerely,

Aaron Staats
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

State Route 35 Empty Re: State Route 35

Post by SamCogar Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:43 am

No Stimulus funds for roads in WV ....... but the Teachers got MILLION$ ....... and the DHHS got MILLION$ to give to the low income parents/ guardians and $250 to each one of their children.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:51 am

I'll be at the meeting tomorrow morning, Aaron. Will I see you there?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:03 am

You will not only see me, you will hear me in all my glory.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Loyd has come down with a nasty cold, so I stayed home. I'm dying to know how it went.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:35 pm

I didn't make it. My car went in the shop so Donnie was supposed to pick me up at 8:15. He didn't make it so I didn't get to go.

Not that it would have made a difference. Haynes, Andes and Tillis all had their mind made up, they were going to do what the state told them to do.

From the get go, someone, somewhere decided this was going to be a toll road so no other option was considered.

And as a result of it, I'm done in this state. I'm starting the process of moving, likely to SC or GA next summer. I'm tired of living in a corrupt state with bought and paid for politicians who don't care about their constituents.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down