Why should you vote for Raese?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Post by SamCogar on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:19 am

So why should you?

Well now, one of the bestest reasons that I have read anywhere was posted on the Gazette Forum by a partisan Democrat and Manchin supporter, to wit:

Why would a state with the largest percentage of residents receiving social security, and Walmart as it's number 1 employer elect a man (Raese) who wants to cut federal entitlement programs and repeal minimum wage? Stupidity

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why should you vote for Raese?

Post by TerryRC on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:01 am

Having lived and worked in the Morgantown area for almost a decade, it is my opinion that Raese is not for the working man.

Not that Manchin is, either.

Regardless, anybody that thinks Raese is going to sweep in on his magic carpet of conservatism and reverse the poverty and problems of this state is on some sort of mind-altering substance.

He will end pulling pork just like Stevens from Alaska did. A GOPite that trashed pork spending except when HE asked for it.

I'm voting for Johnson just because he isn't Raese or Manchin.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:25 am

If part of that pork is funding for US 35 and eliminates the need for a toll road, I'll support him.
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:49 am

If part of that pork is funding for US 35 and eliminates the need for a toll road, I'll support him.

So you aren't ENTIRELY uncomfortable with federal handouts...

TerryRC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:28 am

First, don't start putting words in my mouth. I won't tolerate that.

As for the road, I don't see it as a handout. That road is a primary trucking route and plays a tremendous role in interstate commerce in the United States, ranking as a top 10 logistic corridor so citizens from all over the United States has benefited from its existence for many, many years.

It is that interstate commerce that creates the traffic problems for that road thus the governing body responsible for regulating interstate commerce should be responsible for upgrading that road. They paid the majority of upgrading in Ohio and Indiana and should do the same in West Virginia.

Were they only going to toll trucks or more importantly, if the state would not allow interstate traffic on 817 AND maintain 817 in the same manner as 35, I wouldn't care if it were toll or not.

As they are not going to prevent interstate traffic from traveling 817, they won’t maintain 817 in the same fashion as 35 and as Putnam and Mason County have paid the same state and federal taxes everyone else has for years, the federal government should be responsible for funding the upgrade of that road.
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:02 pm

I'm voting for Raese because he favors the Fair Tax and has demonstrated a clear understanding of how the Fed is destroying our currency and our nation in the process.

-Ron Paul
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

View user profile http://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:07 pm

And if part of what Terry considers pork is paying for an upgrade to 35, a road that only needs upgraded due to interstate traffic, then consider it a bonus Stephanie, especially as a toll road will likely depress the economy in your neck of the woods.
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:13 pm

I am adamantly opposed to making 35 a toll road. I don't think it will hurt the economy here though. If anything, I imagine it would help all those failing businesses along that stretch of the old 35. That is, if they can survive until then.

-Ron Paul
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:31 pm

[quote="Stephanie"]I am adamantly opposed to making 35 a toll road. I don't think it will hurt the economy here though. If anything, I imagine it would help all those failing businesses along that stretch of the old 35. That is, if they can survive until then.[/quote]

I talked to Mike Hall the other night for about 2 hours and one of the things the committee's and all of our representatives have consigned themself to is that it will indeed hurt the local economy. He cited numerous studies including one involving Beckley and Raleigh County.

Route 35 will be nothing more then a drive through road with no one stopping along the way.
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie on Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm sure Mike has a better grasp of the situation than I do. I just don't worry too much about TV or Hurricane. It's too built up, too congested, and too much for me. It reminds me a bit of what my home town has become.

On the other hand, all those small businesses along the old stretch will only benefit from whatever traffic a toll road may send their way.

I don't understand why making it a toll road would make things any worse than they already are. I'm not saying it won't, I just can't imagine why.

-Ron Paul
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:35 pm

...reverse the poverty and problems of this state..."

Where in any of the original documents is this the desired outcome? The state itself has far more leeway in reversing poverty and alleviating "problems". I think it is beneficial for all of us if the successful candidate were to observe and accept his limitations as a federal official.

ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:39 pm

Those old businesses are on Route 817 Stephanie. They will see no traffic.
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar on Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:33 am

Stephanie wrote:I don't think it will hurt the economy here though. If anything, I imagine it would help all those failing businesses along that stretch of the old 35. That is, if they can survive until then.

Steph, is that going to be some sort of "special" type of toll road, or what? Like maybe they are just going to build the Toll Plaza's here, there or yonder along the roadway somewhere, connect every cross-road to it and not limit where a driver can enter or exit it?

If not, then it will KILL more businesses than it will help.

I read a week or so ago that they were going to "choose the locations of the Toll Plazas", ....... did they? If so, my question is, ....... who owns the adjoining property to those selected sites? Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:28 am

And if part of what Terry considers pork is paying for an upgrade to 35, a road that only needs upgraded due to interstate traffic... .

It IS pork. Just like Byrd's FBI building and former AK senator Steven's "bridge to nowhere". Also, I'd have to see the stats on interstate traffic causing all of the problems.

This just happens to be pork that you favor.

Last edited by TerryRC on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total

TerryRC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:36 am

For the record, I don't have a problem with "pork".

What the right calls "pork", I call the "federal budget". They collect taxes and other monies and use them on projects that the states ask for via elected officials.

It is in the nation's interest to prop up the infrastructure of the country, particularly in poorer areas.

In pointing out Rt. 35 falls in that category, I just wish to point out that one man's pork is another man's redemption.

TerryRC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:22 am

In comparing Route 35 to the bridge to nowwhere and stating that you don't see the interstate traffic displays your ignorance on the situation Terry.

Not all infrastructure is in the nations best interest in maintaining. There is no interest for Ohioains to upgrade the Nitro/St. Albans Bridge, no matter how bad it is needed.

Upgrading Route 35 on the other hand, with the amount of traffic that travels that road, is in the best interest of other citizens. In addition to the fuel savings, it trims about an hour off a trip for a truck driver traveling that road, all 6,000, give or take a few that make that journey each day.

That's a tremendous cost savings to trucking companies, which is then past on to all consmumers. Your opinion is wrong. Educate yourself on the subject and then perhaps your opinion will be credible.

Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:31 am

That's a tremendous cost savings to trucking companies, which is then past on to all consmumers. Your opinion is wrong. Educate yourself on the subject and then perhaps your opinion will be credible.

Pork, Aaron, pork.

TerryRC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:40 am

You are entitled to your opinion Terry, no matter how wrong it is. On this subject, you are basing it on ignorance of the facts as you have proven you don't know what you are talking about.

That was clear to me when you compared Route 35 to the Bridge to nowhere. Had you compared Corridor H or the King Coal Highway to the Bridge to nowhere, you might have been on to something but to compare Route 35, you showed your ingnorance.

Might I suggest to you that you educate yourself on the subject and then show up at one of the scheduled meetings required by law once the revenue estimates are in. You might actually learn something.
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:44 am

That was clear to me when you compared Route 35 to the Bridge to nowhere. Had you compared Corridor H or the King Coal Highway to the Bridge to nowhere, you might have been on to something but to compare Route 35, you showed your ingnorance.

So using federal funds to work on one road is pork but using them on another is not pork?

And you have the nerve to call me ignorant?

TerryRC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:20 am

No, I called your knowledge of this specific situation and the fact that you cannot differentiate between Corridor H or the Bridge to nowhere and Route 35 ignorant. On this subject you do not have a clue, thus you are ignorant.

There is a distinct difference that a learned man who thinks with reason rather then emotion understands.

I do have one question for you Terry. If we are not to use federal money on West Virginia roads, then why do we pay a federal gas tax? And where is that money spent?

Last edited by Aaron on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:28 am

No, I called your knowledge of this specific situation and the fact that you cannot differentiate between Corridor H or the Bridge to nowhere and Route 35 ignorant.

There is a distinct difference that an educated man who has been taught to think with reason rather then emotion should understand. So why don't you?

I'm not the one that speaks out about pork. I consider it all to be part of the federal budget. Senators go to the fed with a problem or project that their constituents want addressed and seek funding for it.

I find it funny that you speak out against "pork" unless you are personally benefiting from it.

Face it Aaron, your stance is inconsistent. Money spent on this road is pork, but money spent on that road is not.

Ask someone in NY (where people receive far less than they give in federal taxes, unlike WV) if they think the US 35 upgrade is pork. I'll bet they disagree with you.

I'm not the one applying emotion to this, but it seems you are.

TerryRC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:41 am

You have yet to answer any of the relevant questions put forth to you about this subject Terry.

If we are not to use federal money for highways, why do we pay federal gas tax?

Why do we have federal, state, county and local roads, what defines these roads, why do we have these roads and who is primarly responsible for maintaining these roads?

Why is federal tax dollars used for Parkways in New York State?

And if you do not speak out about pork, why do you cry about Palin and the bridge to nowhere? Once again, it seems you are talking out both sides of your ass Terry.

As for benefitting from the road, when I go to Point Pleasant or Gallipolis, I travel Route 62 or Route 2. I rarely if ever go up 35. If they do put the tolls on, when going to Ohio, I will travel old 817 from the Buffalo Bridge to KW Homes simple because it's 3 miles shorter but I will not travel 35. I have no need to so I would actually benefit more with a toll road then with the federal government funding State Route 35.

Unlike you though, I happen to understand logistics and this topic. As I said earlier, educate yourself and then perhaps your opinion will be credible. You can start with Ohio’s stance on their portion of State Route 35 and then research the history of US Route 23. Perhaps then you will speak from knowledge instead of ignorance.
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:48 am

If we are not to use federal money for highways, why do we pay federal gas tax?

I never said we shouldn't use the money for highways and I don't think the US 35 upgrade IS pork, or, if it is, so is EVERY bit of highway construction. I'll say one thing, WV gets welfare. We give way less in taxes than we get back.

You have yet to answer any of the relevant questions put forth to you about this subject Terry.

You haven't put any forth.

Why would Corridor H be pork and the US 35 upgrade not be? I'll bet people in Hardy County don't consider it to be "pork".

Until you address that inconsistency the rest of your "arguments" are meaningless.

Besides, I thought you small government types would be for privatization of roads.

TerryRC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:54 am

And if you do not speak out about pork, why do you cry about Palin and the bridge to nowhere? Once again, it seems you are talking out both sides of your ass Terry.

I spoke out about Palin being a hypocrite by trashing pork while taking it anyway, not the money [pork] itself.

Nice try, though.

TerryRC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:11 am

The state of Virginia as stated rather emphatically that they WILL NOT complete the 4 lane portion of Corridor H linking it to I-81 from the planning phase more then 10 years ago. Even the late Robert Byrd, namesake of the Appalachian Highway System of which the Corridor’s are a major part of could not force that state to complete the road. It is a road that quite literally will lead to the middle of nowhere.

If you were knowledgeable on the topic, I wouldn't have had to explain it. The fact that I did proves your ignorance on this subject. You are in way over your head on this one so please educate yourself or move on from this subject. I am tired of your inaccuracies.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Aaron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next