WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is odd News.

2 posters

Go down

This is odd News. Empty This is odd News.

Post by SamCogar Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:12 am

Md. Police Officers Ignore Speed Cameras

ROCKVILLE, Md. — No matter what the cameras say, some drivers are refusing to pay dozens of $40 speeding fines. Who? Police officers.

In the last eight months of 2007, Montgomery County's new speed cameras recorded 224 cases in which police vehicles were recorded traveling more than 10 mph over the speed limit, according to department records.

Supervisors dismissed 76 of those citations after determining the officers were responding to calls or had valid reasons to break the speed limit.

But that left 148 who didn't have that excuse, and about two-thirds of those citations haven't been paid, said police Lt. Paul Starks.

The police union says officers shouldn't pay because the citations are issued to the owner of a vehicle, in this case the county, and not to the driver. Razz Razz Razz

Police Chief Thomas Manger doesn't buy that argument.

"We are not above the law," Manger said. "It is imperative that the police department hold itself to the same standards that we're holding the public to."

Manger said officers who continue to ignore citations might be disciplined.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/Feature_Stories/ODD_Speed_Cameras_Police.html

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

This is odd News. Empty Re: This is odd News.

Post by Aaron Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:34 am

Were I a citizen of Rockville, MD and I got a speeding ticket in that town, I would put the dollar amount in an account and not pay the fine until each and every one of the police officers had paid their fines.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down