I'm A Believer!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I'm A Believer!

Post by SamCogar on Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:57 pm

enough to make you curious - exerted from: http://thelunatic.newsvine.com/_news/2012/07/06/12598359-im-a-believer

Will people 500 years in the future look back at us and say that our society was a moral failure because we didn't save every premature baby, or will they say that our society failed because we let our population spiral out of control, we stripped every last usable resource from planet Earth, polluted our environment, and drove thousands of other species into extinction? Religions have their priorities all wrong.

Morality is not black and white. It is not belief or disbelief. It requires making very difficult choices. But if we focus on "what is best for our society, our planet, and our future generations" then we can start making some better choices.

Here's another line that non-believers use which always makes me laugh. They will say to me "you can't prove that god doesn't exist."

If you tell me there is a flying cheeseburger that can flap it's wings and fly to the moon, it's not up to me prove that it doesn't exist ... it's up to you to prove that it DOES.

Humanity has been searching diligently for any indication that god exists and so far we have not found any evidence at all that supports this theory. None. Nada. Zip. We have never observed a single molecule of matter, an exchange of a micro-joule of energy, or a single step in the evolution of life on our planet that breaks the laws of physics.

Without any proof at all that something exists, or at least a reasonable hypothesis as to how it could exist, we HAVE to take the stance that it doesn't. Otherwise, we will also believe in every ghost and goblin and fairy and the Flying Spaghetti Monster and any random crazy idea that people come up with. Thinking that something exists when it clearly doesn't is not belief, it's just an abuse of an overactive imagination which distracts from belief in the truth. It's non-belief.

Trying to convince others that something exists when it clearly doesn't isn't belief either, it's just a game to play with their heads. If you personally can get someone else to believe in some 'god', then it's pretty easy to get them to think that you have a personal connection with this god and you can act as a conduit for communications. Now you have control over them ... and congratulations! You've just started your very own religion! It's time to kick back and start raking in those donations.

Seriously though, religions are based on one primary principle: taking advantage of people's fear. And the biggest fear that most people have is the fear of death. The fear of death is very natural and is shared among all animals on the planet it's one of the fundamental forces driving our evolution; those that avoid death as long as possible survive to propagate their species. Humans, however, with our advanced powers of imagination, think about death even when we're not in mortal danger.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top