WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Question

+7
ziggy
Stephanie
ohio county
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Aaron
TerryRC
Keli
11 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Good Question Empty Good Question

Post by Keli Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:25 pm

RUSH:...
If, ladies and gentlemen, Osama Bin Laden is brought to the United States under these new Supreme Court rules -- as supported by the haughty John Kerry and Richard Clarke and everybody else in Obama's foreign policy apparatus -- and we bring Osama in under the presumption of innocence, somebody explain to me why we are trying to kill him?

Would Obama give the order to kill him?
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Good Question Empty Re: Good Question

Post by TerryRC Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:59 am

Let me see. We have prisoners that may be innocent and have been held for years with no trial or counsel.

Then we have Bin Laden that has admitted his crimes.

These are alike how?

It isn't a good question, Keli. It is ignorant and typical of that pill-popper, Rush.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:27 am

TerryRC wrote:Let me see. We have prisoners that may be innocent and have been held for years with no trial or counsel.

Then we have Bin Laden that has admitted his crimes.

These are alike how?

It isn't a good question, Keli. It is ignorant and typical of that pill-popper, Rush.

TerryRC, does smoking marijuana affect one's judgment? (I wouldn't know.)
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:32 am

Does smoking marijuana affect one's judgment? (I wouldn't know.)

I dunno. Probably depends on how much.

Opiates definitely do.

So, where is the logic in comparing Laden to the Gitmo prisoners?

Is there any, or did you just want to put Obama with Osama, like some preachers have been doing?

Did you give your congregation the "Obama is the Anti-Christ predicted in Revelations" sermon, or are you saving it until just before the election?

Meh...

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:43 am

TerryRC wrote:Does smoking marijuana affect one's judgment? (I wouldn't know.)

I dunno. Probably depends on how much.

Opiates definitely do.

So, where is the logic in comparing Laden to the Gitmo prisoners?

Is there any, or did you just want to put Obama with Osama, like some preachers have been doing?

Did you give your congregation the "Obama is the Anti-Christ predicted in Revelations" sermon, or are you saving it until just before the election?

Meh...

Should the rights and responsibilities of the COTUS be applied to everyone in the whole world--or just Americans? What Constitutional rights do ObL or the Gitmo captured armed combatants have?
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:50 am

Should the rights and responsibilities of the COTUS be applied to everyone in the whole world--or just Americans? What Constitutional rights do ObL or the Gitmo captured armed combatants have?

Not the whole world. These people are held by Americans in an American military base - American soil, to all intents and purposes.

Why are we so embarrassed by it that we hide them down there?

Give them a drumhead court marshal and shoot them as an enemy combatant, or give them a trial in the courts.

To hold them, indefinitely, without doing either violates the spirit of our law, if not the letter.

And you still haven't peddled your logic as to how the Gitmo prisoners are comparable to bin Laden, who has proudly admitted his crimes?

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:12 am

To hold them indefinately violates Habeas Corpus, which predates our constitution (and yes, it is in our constitution as well) by nearly 500 years.

If we're a nation built on certain inalienable rights, so ingrained that many of our founding fathers felt a Bill of Rights was needless, then how can we as a nation violate such a basic fundamental right of a human that is being detained by our government.

I'm not advocating that a non-citizen has US Constitutional rights. I'm advocating that a human has basic rights and we are violating them. We are no better then the cold war KGB that took people out of their homes for no reason.

We can set back and ignore this but what happens when the 'terror' suspects resides in anytown, USA? What do we do if the government goes in, takes them and sends them off to Cuba? It's only a matter of time until it happens.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:21 am

TerryRC wrote:Should the rights and responsibilities of the COTUS be applied to everyone in the whole world--or just Americans? What Constitutional rights do ObL or the Gitmo captured armed combatants have?

Not the whole world. These people are held by Americans in an American military base - American soil, to all intents and purposes.

Why are we so embarrassed by it that we hide them down there?

Give them a drumhead court marshal and shoot them as an enemy combatant, or give them a trial in the courts.

To hold them, indefinitely, without doing either violates the spirit of our law, if not the letter.

And you still haven't peddled your logic as to how the Gitmo prisoners are comparable to bin Laden, who has proudly admitted his crimes?

When the enemy combatants took up arms or became involved in plots against Americans, they made the same decision that ObL made. Enemy combatants in any war have always been detained until there is an end to hostilities...right?
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:30 am

What uniform are these men wearing and what country are they fighting for?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:36 am

Aaron wrote:What uniform are these men wearing and what country are they fighting for?

What country? The country or community in which they were captured. Their uniforms? Local attire--with an AK-47, IED or RPG accoutrement. (The fact that they don't wear a uniform is their choice. If they would like to wear a uniform or identifying scarf or turban, I am certain that US soldiers would be appreciative.)
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:45 am

If they are wearing the uniform of another country, they are afforded the rights of the Geneva Convention. But the US doesn't afford the rights under the Geneva Convention and the reason we use is that they aren't fighting for a country or wearing a uniform, they are individuals.

If they're not soldiers thus granted rights under the Geneva Convention then they are criminals with basic human rights. This administration wants to designate these prisoners one way when it suits one need and another when it suits that need.

This is not the principals this country was founded on and for anyone to say that this is the standards we must lower ourselves to guarantee freedom is pure and utter bullshit!!!

All they have to do is bring each individual criminal before a military judge, read them the charges for their dentention and show them what they are being held for. To do any less is un-American.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:07 am

Aaron wrote:If they are wearing the uniform of another country, they are afforded the rights of the Geneva Convention. But the US doesn't afford the rights under the Geneva Convention and the reason we use is that they aren't fighting for a country or wearing a uniform, they are individuals.

If they're not soldiers thus granted rights under the Geneva Convention then they are criminals with basic human rights. This administration wants to designate these prisoners one way when it suits one need and another when it suits that need.

This is not the principals this country was founded on and for anyone to say that this is the standards we must lower ourselves to guarantee freedom is pure and utter bullshit!!!

All they have to do is bring each individual criminal before a military judge, read them the charges for their dentention and show them what they are being held for. To do any less is un-American.

They have been charged as enemy combatants. They will be detained until hostilities are concluded. If they weren't willing to suffer detention, they should have stayed home--or fought to the death.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:16 am

Then if they've been charged as enemy combatants, they have rights under the Geneva Convention, correct!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:29 am

Aaron wrote:Then if they've been charged as enemy combatants, they have rights under the Geneva Convention, correct!!!

No.. They are not signatories to the Geneva Conventions. Are they? However, most Marines carny applications, and if they will approach any Marine--or GI--and ask to sign up for the GC, then I am certain that our soldiers will be glad to assist them.

Last edited by Armon Ayers on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:32 am

Aaron wrote:To hold them indefinately violates Habeas Corpus, which predates our constitution (and yes, it is in our constitution as well) by nearly 500 years.

If we're a nation built on certain inalienable rights, so ingrained that many of our founding fathers felt a Bill of Rights was needless, then how can we as a nation violate such a basic fundamental right of a human that is being detained by our government.

I'm not advocating that a non-citizen has US Constitutional rights. I'm advocating that a human has basic rights and we are violating them. We are no better then the cold war KGB that took people out of their homes for no reason.

We can set back and ignore this but what happens when the 'terror' suspects resides in anytown, USA? What do we do if the government goes in, takes them and sends them off to Cuba? It's only a matter of time until it happens.

Aaron,
Does it bother you that the surge is working?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:35 am

So who has won? Not the detainees. The Court's analysis leaves them with only the prospect of further litigation to determine the content of their new habeas right, followed by further litigation to resolve their particular cases, followed by further litigation before the D. C. Circuit—where they could have started had they invoked the DTA procedure. Not Congress, whose attempt to "determine—through democratic means—how best" to balance the security of the American people with the detainees' liberty interests, has been unceremoniously brushed aside. Not the Great Writ, whose majesty is hardly enhanced by its extension to a jurisdictionally quirky outpost, with no tangible benefit to anyone. Not the rule of law, unless by that is meant the rule of lawyers, who will now arguably have a greater role than military and intelligence officials in shaping policy for alien enemy combatants. And certainly not the American people, who today lose a bit more control over the conduct of this Nation's foreign policy to unelected, politically unaccountable judges. - John Roberts in his dissent to Boumediene

I thought the precedent was the case where a couple Nazis were shuttled off a u-boat to the North Carolina shoreline to wreak domestic havoc in the U.S. in the 1940's. The Supremes ruled that they were un-uniformed enemy combatants and they were executed within a month.

I agree with you that these folk should not have constitutional protections. I have not lost any sleep over their treatment.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 am

I'm not Sherm or Frank Terry so don't try and act like I am.

The bottom line is either they’re criminals or they’re captured enemy combatants. If their captured enemy combatants then they are afforded Geneva Convention rights!!!

This has nothing to do with the surge and you changing the subject don’t change that very simple fact.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:44 am

Armon Ayers wrote:
Aaron wrote:Then if they've been charged as enemy combatants, they have rights under the Geneva Convention, correct!!!

No.. They are not signatories to the Geneva Conventions. Are they? However, most Marines carny applications, and if they will approach any Marine--or GI--and ask to sign up for the GC, then I am certain that our soldiers will be glad to assist them.

Doesn't matter. We are. What's more, we're Americans.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:50 am

Aaron wrote:
Armon Ayers wrote:

We are Americans! We respect the Geneva Conventions rights to those who are signatories. What GC rights have these enemy combatants extended to captured Americans? All that we owe these enemy combatants is to treat them humanely until they are repatriated after the cessation of hostilities.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:50 am

Jimmy,

What rights do you think they're entitled to? Shouldn't there be some sort of trial, some showing of proof? Shouldn't every person expect some minimal standards for arrest and detainment by the US government or their agents?

If they are guilty give them trials, some sort of trials. Give them the opportunity to defend themselves. If we fail to provide these minimum rights, how much better are we than those detained at Gitmo?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:03 am

Armon Ayers wrote:
Aaron wrote:
Armon Ayers wrote:

We are Americans! We respect the Geneva Conventions rights to those who are signatories. What GC rights have these enemy combatants extended to captured Americans? All that we owe these enemy combatants is to treat them humanely until they are repatriated after the cessation of hostilities.

Seems to me someone once said that we should treat others as we expect them to treat us.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:11 am

Aaron,
Are you in favor of extending constitutional rights to illegal aliens here in the USA?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:12 am

Aaron wrote:
Armon Ayers wrote:
Aaron wrote:
Armon Ayers wrote:

Seems to me someone once said that we should treat others as we expect them to treat us.

How many have we beheaded or hanged from a bridge--without any hearing or trial, Aaron?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:38 am

Is that the standard Terry, beheading one? Does that give the right to torture? Or do we stoop to whatever level our enemies are at?

Seems to me you're one of those do as I say not as I do preachers that doesn't believe in practicing in what he preaches.

So why is it you don't you follow the word of Christ Terry?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:39 am

Armon Ayers wrote:Aaron,
Are you in favor of extending constitutional rights to illegal aliens here in the USA?

Is there some reason you want to deny inalienable rights to others Terry?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next