WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where have all the apple orchards gone?

+2
TerryRC
ziggy
6 posters

Go down

Where have all the apple orchards gone? Empty Where have all the apple orchards gone?

Post by ziggy Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:37 am

Where have all the orchards gone?
Oh, when will they ever learn?
---------------

August 8, 2008
W.Va. applesauce plant to close

Knouse Foods Cooperative Inc. is closing its applesauce plant in Berkeley County because of a declining supply of apples.

By The Associated Press
MARTINSBURG, W.Va. -- Knouse Foods Cooperative Inc. is closing its applesauce plant in Berkeley County because of a declining supply of apples.

Adams County, Pa.-based Knouse Foods also cited the need for major infrastructure improvements at the Inwood plant.

Knouse says the plant will close Nov. 14. But the cooperative plans to maintain its warehousing, storage and distribution business in Inwood.

About 90 jobs are being eliminated. Employees will be offered positions at Knouse's facilities in Pennsylvania.

President and Chief Executive Officer Ken Guise says the area's orchards have been replaced by housing developments, and the cooperative needs to be where its growers are.

A 2004 state survey showed that Berkeley County lost nearly 70,000 apple trees from 1994 to 2004.

http://www.wvgazette.com/latest/200808080131
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Where have all the apple orchards gone? Empty Re: Where have all the apple orchards gone?

Post by TerryRC Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:49 am

The orchards are being sold to developers for obscene amounts of cash.

Take a drive through the E. Panhandle one of these days.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Where have all the apple orchards gone? Empty Re: Where have all the apple orchards gone?

Post by shermangeneral Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:40 am

Yes Terry it is a sad sight.

Some of the world's best peaches and apples, etc. sacrificed to suburban sprawl.

I used to live there back in the mid 70's and today it does not look like the same place.

Like John Prine says just write it all down as the progress of man...

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:42 am

Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:30 am

On the subject of apples.....

My husband loves these apples his family calls "early apples". Does anybody know what the correct name for those things are? I'm pretty sure they're being harvested now. I know his aunt Mildred made apple sauce to die for from them the last week of August. I don't even like apple sauce. I watched her do it, but that was a couple of years ago. I seem to recall they were a small to mid size green apple.

Anyway, I've asked them all, they just call them early apples. I've never seen them for sale anywhere and I've looked through catalogues but never seen an apple tree for sale with that name.

Anybody know where I can get them in the Putnam County or surrounding areas or at least what name I SHOULD be looking for?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:34 pm

Stephanie, you might want to take a look here:

http://www.pickyourown.org/apples.htm
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:01 pm

Stephanie wrote:On the subject of apples.....

My husband loves these apples his family calls "early apples". Does anybody know what the correct name for those things are?

Steph, they are called Earley Harvest or Earley Transparent apples.

If you want one I suggest you purchase the Japanese variety called ..... Lodi.

You can order them via seed catalogue or get them at any good nursery, ........ even at WalMart in spring tiime.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:03 am

Thanks, Sam & Ziggy. I figured somebody here would know the correct name of those apples. I had to run to Cleveland to pick Katie up from Materials Camp yesterday and decided to head out to Holmes County and spend a little time with my mother-in-law. I asked her again about the apples. lol She told me she thinks I'm too late to get them this year, that they are out in July!!!! eeks

We're going to look to purchase a couple of those trees. We agree we'd like some fruit trees and apples are high on the list.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down