WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father/Daughter Talk (received via email)

4 posters

Go down

Father/Daughter Talk (received via email) Empty Father/Daughter Talk (received via email)

Post by Keli Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:37 am

Father/Daughter Talk

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of 'the redistribution of wealth.'

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs.

The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in
school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, 'How is your friend Audrey doing?'

She replied, 'Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over.'

Her wise father asked his daughter, 'Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only h as a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA.'

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, 'That wouldn't be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!'

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, 'Welcome to the Republican party.'

Last edited by on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Father/Daughter Talk (received via email) Empty Re: Father/Daughter Talk (received via email)

Post by SamCogar Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:22 am

I liked that. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Father/Daughter Talk (received via email) Empty Re: Father/Daughter Talk (received via email)

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:36 am

Pretty good indeed... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Now I eagerly awaits Zig's response. Very Happy
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:23 am

Don't give me an apple and call it an orange.

College is not set up and managed and continually manipulated so that some 5 percent of students will never make it to class, nor for 5 percent of those who do go to class to be destined to fail. College is not set up such that the studies and grades of D,C and B students accrure to the A students. Nor does college call those who never make it to class "fully educated".

But the U.S. economy is set up such that a minimum of about 5 percent of the people will almost always be unemployed, and with some substantial part of the wealth generated going to someone other than those whose labors directly generated that wealth. And the U.S. economic gurus call an unemployment rate of up to 5 percent "full employment". Until we can be honest enough to admit that just as college grades are earned only by students who work and study to achieve, that wealth is earned only by those who work and sweat to achieve, until then your comparison is bogus.

Wealth is created by the labors of working people. College grades are created by the labor of working students. The difference is that the product (the grade) the college student earns accrues to the student- and to no one else; but the product (the monetary wealth) the working person creates often accrues to someone else.

So don't give me an orange and call it an apple, either.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:37 am

ziggy wrote:Don't give me an apple and call it an orange.

But the U.S. economy is set up such that a minimum of about 5 percent of the people will almost always be unemployed, and with some substantial part of the wealth generated going to someone other than those whose labors directly generated that wealth.

So Zigster, who is controlling that in Charleston, or Jackson County, ..... to insure that there is always at least 5% unemployed?

ziggy wrote:Wealth is created by the labors of working people. College grades are created by the labor of working students. The difference is that the product (the grade) the college student earns accrues to the student- and to no one else; but the product (the monetary wealth) the working person creates often accrues to someone else.

"DUH", ..... the "grade" a student is awarded/given by a Professor is "a product"?

Well Zigster, that means that all Colleges are guilty of discrimination and/or in violation of Fair Trade Laws.

All the students ..... pay the same amount of money for that "product", but some are given "Grade A++" product, ........ while others are given "Grade B, C, D or even F" product.

Now by damn sumpin shoud be done about that, ........ RIGHT?

lol! lol! lol!

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:10 am

ziggy wrote:Don't give me an apple and call it an orange.

College is not set up and managed and continually manipulated so that some 5 percent of students will never make it to class, nor for 5 percent of those who do go to class to be destined to fail. College is not set up such that the studies and grades of D,C and B students accrure to the A students. Nor does college call those who never make it to class "fully educated".

But the U.S. economy is set up such that a minimum of about 5 percent of the people will almost always be unemployed, and with some substantial part of the wealth generated going to someone other than those whose labors directly generated that wealth. And the U.S. economic gurus call an unemployment rate of up to 5 percent "full employment". Until we can be honest enough to admit that just as college grades are earned only by students who work and study to achieve, that wealth is earned only by those who work and sweat to achieve, until then your comparison is bogus.

Wealth is created by the labors of working people. College grades are created by the labor of working students. The difference is that the product (the grade) the college student earns accrues to the student- and to no one else; but the product (the monetary wealth) the working person creates often accrues to someone else.

So don't give me an orange and call it an apple, either.

I got news for you pal, part of the problem right now is we don't have enough unemployed. 5% of the population is useless and ain't going to work anyhow. When the unemployment rate is 4%, what you get is the type of workers you find in fast food restruants now.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down