WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Reasons Why Halloween is Special

4 posters

Go down

10 Reasons Why Halloween is Special Empty 10 Reasons Why Halloween is Special

Post by Keli Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:39 am

10 Reasons Why Halloween is Special

1. Halloween is a religious day that does not at all violate the sacrosanct “separation of church and state”--even though it has both Christian and pagan roots.

2. Halloween proves that some religions are more equal than others on this farm.

3. No Jehovah’s Witness or Atheist student or parent has evidently ever been offended by the observance of Halloween in the public school—otherwise it would have been banned. Right?.

4. Halloween gives state and federal employees a paid day off—while working!

5. Halloween allows witches, goblins and demons in state and government offices to look the part.

6. Halloween in the public school allows children to have fun, receive gifts, eat sweets, dress up like religious characters and promote religious tolerance of other’s beliefs—unlike a Christmas program or party could ever do.

7. Halloween gets to keep its religious name because the politically correct names “Winter Break” and “Spring Break” were already taken. (Fall Festival must have been taken, as well?)

8. Halloween allows wall flower Wiccans and two left-footed Satanists to have a Witch’s Ball. (Look out “Dancing with the Stars!”)

9. Halloween allows the media to interview Satanists, dark magic, in a positive light.

10. Halloween allows those who think that they are tolerant to see beneath that mask when they criticize those who have sincere religious convictions against the observance of Halloween—the sinister Samhain, The Day of the Dead, of the Wiccans and Satanists.
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

10 Reasons Why Halloween is Special Empty Re: 10 Reasons Why Halloween is Special

Post by TerryRC Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:05 am

Well, kids can't even have Halloween parties in most schools I have been to.

Halloween has pagan roots. Christians didn't come onto the scene until much later. They manufactured a holiday to eclipse Samhain.

Ah, never mind. I grow tired of correcting the Minister of Misinformation.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

10 Reasons Why Halloween is Special Empty Re: 10 Reasons Why Halloween is Special

Post by Stephanie Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:09 pm

You know, I have family and friends who are pagan, Terry. They're decent people living decent lives. Perhaps you should face your fears and get to know a few pagans. They might just surprise you.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:54 pm

Stephanie wrote:You know, I have family and friends who are pagan, Terry. They're decent people living decent lives. Perhaps you should face your fears and get to know a few pagans. They might just surprise you.

Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:41 pm

You don't have a clue what Samhain is about. You have no idea what pagans celebrate that day, just as I have no doubt you have no clue what they celebrate on May Day, or any other holiday they observe. There is nothing "sinister" about it.

You know this kind of prejudice upsets me greatly. If left up to me, my beautiful granddaughter would be raised agnostic, as we are raising her uncle. However, it isn't up to me. She is being raised Wiccan and I have no more of a problem with that than I would if she were being raised Buddhist and less than if she were being raised a number of Christian religions.

The Wiccan reed:

"And ye harm none, do what thou will."
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:04 pm

Stephanie wrote:You don't have a clue what Samhain is about. You have no idea what pagans celebrate that day, just as I have no doubt you have no clue what they celebrate on May Day, or any other holiday they observe. There is nothing "sinister" about it.

You know this kind of prejudice upsets me greatly. If left up to me, my beautiful granddaughter would be raised agnostic, as we are raising her uncle. However, it isn't up to me. She is being raised Wiccan and I have no more of a problem with that than I would if she were being raised Buddhist and less than if she were being raised a number of Christian religions.

The Wiccan reed:

I think that there is harm when one religion (Wicca or Satanism) is given a pass.
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:16 pm

Stephanie wrote:You don't have a clue what Samhain is about. You have no idea what pagans celebrate that day, just as I have no doubt you have no clue what they celebrate on May Day, or any other holiday they observe. There is nothing "sinister" about it.

The Wiccan reed:

Do you derive your Libertarian philosophy from Wicca's "do what thou will" or vice versa?
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:28 pm

I'm not a Libertarian.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:37 pm

Oh, and as far as the celebration of Halloween is concerned....

Do you think the celebrations the over whelming majority of Americans participate in on Halloween is any more "pagan" than department store Santas and all those electronics products people give and receive as gifts has to do with the birth of Christ?

It's all secular. Look, a little over a decade ago when I was serving on my local school committee, one whacko elementary school principal decided that her school wasn't going to "do" Christmas. This meant that the PTO couldn't have a tree in the lobby, teachers couldn't have little classroom parties with cookies and cupcakes, and......what seemed to upset folks most of all......the PTO couldn't send Santa around the classrooms handing out pencils and erasers.

The priest at the church I attended at the time told me, "Stephanie, this doesn't bother me one way or another. You asked for my opinion and I'm giving it to you. As far as I'm concerned, the public schools took the "Christ" out of Christmas decades ago. How could I possible get riled up that they're giving Santa the boot now too."

I'm quite sure most practicing Wiccans would have similar words about Halloween.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Stephanie wrote:Oh, and as far as the celebration of Halloween is concerned....

Do you think the celebrations the over whelming majority of Americans participate in on Halloween is any more "pagan" than department store Santas and all those electronics products people give and receive as gifts has to do with the birth of Christ?

It's all secular. Look, a little over a decade ago when I was serving on my local school committee, one whacko elementary school principal decided that her school wasn't going to "do" Christmas. This meant that the PTO couldn't have a tree in the lobby, teachers couldn't have little classroom parties with cookies and cupcakes, and......what seemed to upset folks most of all......the PTO couldn't send Santa around the classrooms handing out pencils and erasers.

The priest at the church I attended at the time told me, "Stephanie, this doesn't bother me one way or another. You asked for my opinion and I'm giving it to you. As far as I'm concerned, the public schools took the "Christ" out of Christmas decades ago. How could I possible get riled up that they're giving Santa the boot now too."

I'm quite sure most practicing Wiccans would have similar words about Halloween.

I'm quite sure most practicing Wiccans would have similar words about Halloween Well then, Stephanie, where's the beef? Let's apply the separation of church and state to all religions--including Wicca and Satanism. Okay?
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:51 pm

Stephanie wrote:I'm not a Libertarian.

That's right...you are a Ron Paul Republican. Right?
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:54 pm

Well then, Stephanie, where's the beef? Let's apply the separation of church and state to all religions--including Wicca and Satanism. Okay?

9. Halloween allows the media to interview Satanists, dark magic, in a positive light.

10. Halloween allows those who think that they are tolerant to see beneath that mask when they criticize those who have sincere religious convictions against the observance of Halloween—the sinister Samhain, The Day of the Dead, of the Wiccans and Satanists.

In addition to the above, I know of no government, no school district, no employer, who provides Halloween as a day off with pay the way they do Christmas. Not that I'm opposed to Christmas being a paid holiday. I think it SHOULD be a paid holiday. It's tradition in this country, and the fact of the matter is that most Americans participate in some sort of Christmas celebration. Some do the religious thing, others, like me, use it as an excuse to spoil my children rotten and bake several hundred cookies, a half dozen varieties of pies, make a buttload of candy, and eat a ton of seafood. (Italians do these things.)
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:59 pm

Keli wrote:
Stephanie wrote:I'm not a Libertarian.

That's right...you are a Ron Paul Republican. Right?

I suppose I am. I don't know. I've been registered Republican since the mid 80's, long before I'd ever heard of Ron Paul. That said, he is the reason I remain a Republican. He is so brilliant and so correct about so many other issues, I have agreed to listen to his advice regarding party affiliation, although I have seriously considered disaffiliating for months now.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:13 pm

Keli wrote:Do you derive your Libertarian philosophy from Wicca's "do what thou will" or vice versa?

I realize that you are not a "Libertarian", Stephanie.

But, as Keli noted, you do display considerable Libertarian philosophy. And so I'd like to see your answer to Keli's question- not as a point of political argument- but as a point of social philosophy.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:55 pm

lol

I have no idea. I do consider myself to be a conservative person. I think believe in what traditionally has been the conservative doctrine on political issues, and a number of social issues as well.

I can't be a libertarian because they are just too anything goes. For example, my understanding of the libertarian philosophy is that abortion on demand is ok. I could never agree to that. From the time I learned what abortion was I knew it was murder. I have never once had a moment of doubt on that subject.

Gay men have never bothered me. When I was younger I found them amusing. To be completely honest with you, some of them I STILL find amusing. Lesbians were another matter. They sort of "icked me out".

Now what the hell do I care what they do? It's none of my business. So long as they aren't copulating in public parks and the like, to each their own. I don't see the harm in it. What I do see harm in is forcing them to live secret lives. I had this guy who did electrical work for me named Brad who was married to a lesbian. They were married for YEARS and had 3 kids. One day she ups and leaves him for her girlfriend. He and his children were totally blindsided, poor things. I can't help but think if that woman had been born in 1974 instead of 1954 that never would have happened. She wouldn't have felt the need to marry a man and pretend to be straight. Poor Brad, he's such a nice guy. And omg how about their 3 daughters? I can't help but wonder how much damage was done when Mommy up and just left the family like that.

I don't think it necessarily comes from my lack of religion. To the contrary, I think maybe, just maybe all those CCD classes I had to attend may have had something to do with it.

My understanding of many other Christian religions is they focus on this angry vengeful type of god who isn't going to let you into heaven unless you cross all your t's and dot all of your i's or ask Jesus into your heart or other such nonsense. The Catholic Church didn't teach that, not ever. The Catholic Church taught that god was kind and loving and forgiving. He so loved the world he gave us his only son. That church, at least back then, taught that god made everybody so he loved everybody. Not to say that people didn't do bad things. No, they sinned, but god forgives those sins. Jesus paid for those sins.

So, I don't know. I've always been primarily a live and let live person. The older I get that more that is true. Funny isn't it? I find with most other people the reverse is true, the older they get the more narrow minded they get. My parents had nothing to do with that, I assure you. They don't like anybody! lol Maybe the Catholic Church did, but I'm not a Catholic any longer. When you figure it out let me know!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:17 am

I'm quite sure most practicing Wiccans would have similar words about Halloween Well then, Stephanie, where's the beef? Let's apply the separation of church and state to all religions--including Wicca and Satanism. Okay?

Point to a single public school in the area that has a Halloween party anymore.

I defy you.

Your outrage is bogus.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:26 am

I can't speak about that. KICHE is having a "fall party". We are having food, goodies, games, a craft, and a costume contest. I have no clue why it's being called a "fall party", and I don't care. Loyd hasn't decided what he wants to be for Halloween yet, but if he wants to be a vampire or a ghost or something even scarier, like I dunno.....Hillary Clinton, that's what he's going as.

Just one of the many perks of homeschooling.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:28 am

I can't speak about that. KICHE is having a "fall party". We are having food, goodies, games, a craft, and a costume contest. I have no clue why it's being called a "fall party", and I don't care. Loyd hasn't decided what he wants to be for Halloween yet, but if he wants to be a vampire or a ghost or something even scarier, like I dunno.....Hillary Clinton, that's what he's going as.

It is called a "fall festival" because of the Kelis of the world.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:54 am

Yes, well.......

KICHE is an inclusive group, so we don't want to deliberately offend the fundies. However, inclusive means the fundies must accept and respect those of us who don't believe as they do. It's a balancing act.

However, for the most part it works for us. What we have found is those who are intolerant don't last too long and go to KPHE or CHEWV, both Christian groups. That's fine with me, personally.

To my knowledge my family is the only agnostic in the group. Most members are some variety of Christian, like Catholic or Presbytarian. We also have a number of Baptists, but I don't "get" the whole Baptist thing. There are different kinds of Baptists and I don't know how they find the correct church to attend. The Baptists in KICHE who stick around are a lot more open minded and tolerant than the folks who ridicule and shun all of us heathens and "fix" all the poor queers.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:04 am

It is called a "fall festival" because of the Kelis of the world.

I wasn't specifically referring to your group, Steph. Sorry it sounded that way.

All of the schools are calling their little soirees "fall festival" or "fall fair".

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:31 am

Yeah well, I don't think it's just a religion thing, Terry.

It's a PC thing. This nation is going to PC itself to death if the Fed and the Congress don't put us out of business with their economic recovery schemes.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down