WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell 'em to eat cake

2 posters

Go down

Tell 'em to eat cake Empty Tell 'em to eat cake

Post by ziggy Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:14 pm

"I thought I'd break the ice with the charming question, 'How much money are you going to make this year?'" Rockefeller recalled. "He said, '$183 million. And if you people on the finance committee would do deferred compensation, I could make more.' "

The 70-year-old Rockefeller, a member of said committee, struggled to maintain his composure.

Despite coming from a prominent and wealthy family rooted deeply in American politics, oil and banking, Rockefeller says he doesn't understand the lifestyle of exorbitant luxury.

He frequently reflects on his time as an anti-poverty volunteer in Emmons, located on the Big Coal River in Kanawha and Boone counties, as a turning point in his life.
"I told this guy that the average working family in West Virginia might make $27,000," Rockefeller said. "So I said, 'How do I describe America to myself when you're trying to get $190 million or whatever it is for you, and these people are struggling? What do I say to those people working and making $27,000 a year?'

http://www.dailymail.com/News/200801180120 .

Tell 'em you feel their pain! Then ask them if they believe you.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Tell 'em to eat cake Empty Re: Tell 'em to eat cake

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:26 pm

As a West Virginian that's worked for everything I've earned, I'd tell him to enjoy his money. I do mine.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down