WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama's willingness to bankrupt the coal industry

4 posters

Go down

Obama's willingness to bankrupt the coal industry Empty Obama's willingness to bankrupt the coal industry

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:23 pm

(Please read update about the San Francisco Chronicle neglecting to mention Obama's willingness to bankrupt the coal industry at bottom of this blog.)

Imagine if John McCain had whispered somewhere that he was willing to bankrupt a major industry? Would this declaration not immediately be front page news? Well, Barack Obama actually flat out told the San Francisco Chronicle (SF Gate) that he was willing to see the coal industry go bankrupt in a January 17, 2008 interview. The result? Nothing. This audio interview has been hidden from the public...until now. Here is the transcript of Obama's statement about bankrupting the coal industry (emphasis mine):

Let me sort of describe my overall policy.

What I've said is that we would put a cap and trade system in place that is as aggressive, if not more aggressive, than anybody else's out there.

I was the first to call for a 100% auction on the cap and trade system, which means that every unit of carbon or greenhouse gases emitted would be charged to the polluter. That will create a market in which whatever technologies are out there that are being presented, whatever power plants that are being built, that they would have to meet the rigors of that market and the ratcheted down caps that are being placed, imposed every year.

So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted.
Story Continues Below Ad ↓

That will also generate billions of dollars that we can invest in solar, wind, biodiesel and other alternative energy approaches.

The only thing I've said with respect to coal, I haven't been some coal booster. What I have said is that for us to take coal off the table as a (sic) ideological matter as opposed to saying if technology allows us to use coal in a clean way, we should pursue it.

So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can.
It's just that it will bankrupt them.

Amazing that this statement by Obama about bankrupting the coal industry has been kept under wraps until this time.

http://media.newsbusters.org/stories/hidden-audio-obama-tells-sf-chronicle-he-will-bankrupt-coal-industry.html?q=blogs/p-j-gladnick/2008/11/02/hidden-audio-obama-tells-sf-chronicle-he-will-bankrupt-coal-industry
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Obama's willingness to bankrupt the coal industry Empty Re: Obama's willingness to bankrupt the coal industry

Post by Keli Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdi4onAQBWQ
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Obama's willingness to bankrupt the coal industry Empty Re: Obama's willingness to bankrupt the coal industry

Post by Keli Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:38 pm

Obama's willingness to bankrupt the coal industry Obamaelectricitybill
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:53 pm

Obama Called Out for Comments about Bankrupting Coal Industry Save Email Print
Posted: 7:27 PM Nov 2, 2008
Last Updated: 7:27 PM Nov 2, 2008
Reporter: Michael Wooten

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- With only hours before election day, coal has become a major topic of Decision 2008.

Sunday an audiotape surfaced from an interview Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama did with the San Francisco Chronicle in January.

In the interview, Obama talks about the importance of coal. He went on to talk about his cap and trade proposal to help curb global warming.

"If somebody wants to build a coal power plant they can, it's just that it will bankrupt them because they are going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted," Barack Obama said to the San Francisco Chronicle in January.

The campaign for Republican presidential candidate John McCain jumped on those comments today and is already sending out taped phone messages to voters in Ohio.

Campaigning in Marietta today, McCain's running mate Sarah Palin mentioned the Obama comments.

"He said that, sure, if the industry wants to build coal-fired power plants, then they can go ahead and try, he says, but they can do it only in a way that will bankrupt the coal industry, and he's comfortable letting that happen. And you got to listen to the tape," Sarah Palin said.

The Obama campaign says the quote is being taken out of context and that Obama is actually from a coal state and is a strong supporter of the industry.

The campaign sent a statement today saying "the point Obama is making is that we need a transition from coal burning power plants built with old technology to plants built with advanced technologies."
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:55 am

""the point Obama is making is that we need a transition from coal burning power plants built with old technology to plants built with advanced technologies."

wELL tERRI I can tell this must be a subject of great interest to you since you keep posting the same thing.

Thanks for clarifying Obama's plan at the end of your post pointing out his desire to switch from old dirty technology to modern clean coal technology.

Just compare that to McCain's expressed desire to build 100 new nuclear power plants.

That would devastate the wv coal industry and be a major hit on the wv economy.

(the coal industry being in the top five sources of tax revenue would also be a serious blow to our budget.)

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:33 am

sodbuster wrote:
Thanks for clarifying Obama's plan at the end of your post pointing out his desire to switch from old dirty technology to modern clean coal technology.

There is no such thing as clean coal Sherman. It's a myth.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:39 am

"There is no such thing as clean coal Sherman. It's a myth."

Well Aaron I agree with that statement.

I was just using the commonly accepted term.

Actually the term cleaner coal technology would be more appropriate.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:43 am

sodbuster wrote:
Actually the term cleaner coal technology would be more appropriate.

It's debatable if there is even such thing as CLEANER coal. If you put scrubbers on a stack to reduce carbon, it creates other problems such as the blue haze that is seen frequently in my end of the Kanawha Valley.

How is it cleaner if the solution creates more problems? The bottom line is, neither Barrack Obama or Joe Biden support building new power plants using WV coal but they use terms like clean coal for the same reason people put sugar in kool aid.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:49 am

Well Aaron there are two kinds of people in this world.

Those who see problems and try to make things work.

And those who want to make things not work.

(so they can bitch and moan, I guess)

So I guess you have to choose which you want to be.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:05 pm

Sherman, that makes no sense whatsoever.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down