WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Part of AIG rescue pkg. could benefit wv citizens...

5 posters

Go down

Part of AIG rescue pkg. could benefit wv citizens... Empty Part of AIG rescue pkg. could benefit wv citizens...

Post by sodbuster Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:24 am

http://wvgazette.com/News/200811110595

Well it looks like A.T. Massey is locking horns with perhaps the most powerful Insurance Company in the world.

The article does not say what the agreed settlement between Massey and the plaintiffs was, but since AIG is refusing to go along that would indicate it must be above Massey's $5 million deductible.

It looks like maybe AIG wants all parties named to accept liability so each entity has to pay a separate deductible.

Has Massey met their match?

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Part of AIG rescue pkg. could benefit wv citizens... Empty Re: Part of AIG rescue pkg. could benefit wv citizens...

Post by ohio county Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:25 pm

The "most powerful insurance company in the world" is begging for more money from Congress. What do you call a corporation that is "too big to fail"? I call it a trust. Aren't they supposed to be broken?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122627437470412029.html
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Part of AIG rescue pkg. could benefit wv citizens... Empty Re: Part of AIG rescue pkg. could benefit wv citizens...

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:53 pm

ohio county wrote:The "most powerful insurance company in the world" is begging for more money from Congress. What do you call a corporation that is "too big to fail"? I call it a trust. Aren't they supposed to be broken?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122627437470412029.html

Good point, OC.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:45 pm

Well I don't claim to know.

But I think what they mean by that phrase is we cant afford to let a company that big fail.

For example, if AIG goes belly-up and cant protect Massey and others like them then Massey and others like them will fail too.

Now I am no big cheerleader for Massey or AIG.

I think they dont pay their fair share.

But I do not want them to fail.

I suspect a lot of the current analysts dont know what hard times are.

And I hope they dont have to find out.

And if they prevail I hope they are right.

Last edited by sodbuster on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:56 pm

How is it you don't think they pay their fair share but you want the taxpayers to inject billions of dollars into the business they have managed to run into the ground despite their light tax burden?

You make no sense at all.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:45 am

Well do you think they pay their fair share?

Do you think Massey is a good corporate citizen?

My answer to all three questions is no.

I would rather for them to stay in business.

But I would rather they were forced to clean up their act.

Do you want them to fail?

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:29 am

I don't want to have to pay for bonuses for executives who ran a company into the ground. I don't want my children to have to pay for trips to luxury resorts and $150.00 a plate meals. I don't want my grandchildren to have to pay because our government decided to throw good money after bad.

If that means AIG will fold, then let it fold. Enough is enough.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:39 am

Well the point is it is not just AIG.

If it was just AIG I wouldnt care that much either.

Please remember it was I who took heat and humiliation from you and your sidekick for first suggesting Big Insurance was in this deal as well as banks.

So I am not a big defender of the big insurance companies.

But I dont want them to fail, I just want them reined in a little bit and better regulated.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:03 am

Who is her sidekick?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:05 am

Well then you should volunteer to pay for it.

I think all Americans who want to bail out a bankers and automotive unions and other fatcats should volunteer to have their wages, or SS checks, or retirement checks garnished for that purpose. My family has one kid in college and another who will be starting in 9 months. We can't afford to bailout insolvent companies and the executives who ran them into the ground. Go after the people who took the money and ran, leave me the hell alone.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:13 am

It's time to be patriotic, time to jump in, time to be part of the deal.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:42 pm

I think all Americans who want to bail out a bankers and automotive unions and other fatcats should volunteer to have their wages, or SS checks, or retirement checks garnished for that purpose.

I agree.

Sometimes I can't figure out if ole' Sodbuster is for real, or if he's just being a devil's advocate.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:54 pm

Well guys I live way up the holler here.

I have a garden and woods all around me.

I have two wood burners.

So I might have to sit around the wood fire and eat a lot of deer steak. but a "country boy can survive".

But I dont want to see the economy collapse, as it appears some do.

So be careful what you wish for, because you might get it.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:46 pm

Sherm,

Who the hell is wishing for the economy to collapse?

What I want is for the government to allow the market to correct itself. I want the government to let the appropriate agency do its job regarding insolvent financial institutions....that would be FDIC. I want the government to get the hell out of our lives and our wallets. I want the government to investigate and prosecute those responsible for running Fannie & Freddie into the ground. I want the government to investigate, and prosecute when appropriate, those members of Congress who aided and abetted in this latest fleecing of America. I want Congress to reclaim control of our currency. I want to end the Fed!

Finally, more than anything, I want our federal government to work within the framework of the Constitution. I want our Representatives and Senators and our President to fulfill their Constitutionally authorized roles, not to delegate them, and not to overstep them.

I guess I want too much.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:13 pm

Finally, more than anything, I want our federal government to work within the framework of the Constitution. I want our Representatives and Senators and our President to fulfill their Constitutionally authorized roles, not to delegate them, and not to overstep them.

I guess I want too much.

Yes, I think you do. As long as election campaigns are financed the way they are, you're not going to see anything other than more and more dancing with them that brung 'em.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down