WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCOTUS WILL HEAR OBAMA CITIZENSHIP CASE.

+2
Stephanie
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
6 posters

Go down

SCOTUS WILL HEAR OBAMA CITIZENSHIP CASE. Empty SCOTUS WILL HEAR OBAMA CITIZENSHIP CASE.

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:51 am

SCOTUS WILL HEAR OBAMA CITIZENSHIP CASE.

THE UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT HAS SCHEDULED FOR FULL CONFERENCE, LEO DONOFRIO'S NJ CITIZEN SUIT CHALLENGING THE ELIGIBILITY OF MULTIPLE 2008 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CANDIDATES, INCLUDING BARACK OBAMA.

Today, the United States Supreme Court scheduled the case - Leo C. Donofrio v. Nina Mitchell Wells, Secretary of State of the State of New Jersey - US Supreme Court Docket No. 08A407 - for a conference of the nine Justices. The conference is a completely private affair and the public may not attend. If four of the nine Justices vote to hear the case in full, oral argument may be scheduled. The conference is scheduled for December 5, 2008, ten days before the meeting of the Electoral College.

The case originally sought, pre-election, to have the names of Barack Obama, John McCain, and Roger Calero removed from New Jersey ballots, and for a stay of the "national election" pending Supreme Court review of whether those candidates were eligible under the Constitution as natural born Citizens, as is required by Article 2, Section 1, Clause 5 of the Constitution of the United States.

Leo Donofrio brought his case from a lower New Jersey court to the NJ Supreme Court - was denied - and then he filed an emergency stay application in the United States Supreme Court on Nov. 3, 2008, before the Honorable Associate Justice David Souter. Justice Souter denied the emergency stay application on Nov. 6.

Leo Donofrio renewed the application, as per Supreme Court Rule 22.4, to the Honorable Associate Justice Clarence Thomas by way of Express mail on Nov. 14. The application arrived at the Supreme Court on Nov. 17 and was submitted directly to Justice Thomas.

On Nov. 19, the case was docketed for full conference of all nine Justices and scheduled for December 5, 2008.

It is not known at this time the exact details of how the case came to be "DISTRIBUTED for Conference". This blog will be updated as details emerge. Below is a screen-shot of the docket entry:

No. 08A407

Title: Leo C. Donofrio, Applicant
v.
Nina Mitchell Wells, New Jersey Secretary of State

Docketed:
Lower Ct: Supreme Court of New Jersey
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

SCOTUS WILL HEAR OBAMA CITIZENSHIP CASE. Empty Re: SCOTUS WILL HEAR OBAMA CITIZENSHIP CASE.

Post by Stephanie Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:15 am

Do you really think this is a good idea?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

SCOTUS WILL HEAR OBAMA CITIZENSHIP CASE. Empty Re: SCOTUS WILL HEAR OBAMA CITIZENSHIP CASE.

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:49 am

Stephanie wrote:Do you really think this is a good idea?

Do I think that it is a good idea to defend the COTUS? Natural born citizen means what? Or, do you think that Obamessiah is too big to be held to the law?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:08 am

His mother was a natural born US citizen. I don't care if he was born on Pluto, he is an American too. He was elected by a clear majority of voters and this is simply a divisive tactic that can only harm America.

Another thing, this lawsuit is particularly offensive to me because of its questioning the citizenship of Senator McCain as well. I consider that to be a slap in the face to every military family that ever has, or ever will, serve overseas.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:25 am

Stephanie wrote:His mother was a natural born US citizen. I don't care if he was born on Pluto, he is an American too. He was elected by a clear majority of voters and this is simply a divisive tactic that can only harm America.

Another thing, this lawsuit is particularly offensive to me because of its questioning the citizenship of Senator McCain as well. I consider that to be a slap in the face to every military family that ever has, or ever will, serve overseas.

Why do you support the military living overseas when you are against their killing people and breaking things?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:27 am

Does anyone really believe that if Obama's surname was Larson, and his dad was from Sweden, there would be all questioning of his citizenship?
bmd
bmd

Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2008-10-11

http://www.venganza.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:33 am

bmd wrote:Does anyone really believe that if Obama's surname was Larson, and his dad was from Sweden, there would be all questioning of his citizenship?

How do we know that his name is not Larson and that he is not from Sweden? Have you seen his real birth certificate?

Last edited by Armon Ayers on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:33 am

There is really no question that President-elect Obama was born in Hawaii. There is also no question that John McCain was born in Panama. Since the definition of "natural born" has never been put to a constitutional challenge (so far as I know), the only real challenge is to Senator McCain's qualifications. As the latter are now moot, I doubt that the justices will bother to let this BS get beyond conference.
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:53 am

bmd wrote:the only real challenge is to Senator McCain's qualifications.

Not so William. John McCain was born on United States soil.

John McCain was born in 1936 at Coco Solo Naval Air Station in the Panama Canal Zone, Panama, to naval officer John S. McCain, Jr. (1911–1981) and Roberta (Wright) McCain (b. 1912).[2] At that time, the Panama Canal was under U.S. control.[3]
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:00 pm

Armon Ayers wrote:SCOTUS WILL HEAR OBAMA CITIZENSHIP CASE.

The case originally sought, pre-election, to have the names of Barack Obama, John McCain, and Roger Calero removed from New Jersey ballots, and for a stay of the "national election" pending Supreme Court review of whether those candidates were eligible under the Constitution as natural born Citizens, as is required by Article 2, Section 1, Clause 5 of the Constitution of the United States.

Well now folks, if that is what said Case stipulates ........ then the USSC will toss it in the "round or square file" that sits on the floor.

because Article 2, Section 1, Clause 5 states this:

5 . In case of the removal of the President from office, or of his death, resignation, or inability to discharge the powers and duties of the said office, the same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by law provide for the case of removal, death, resignation, or inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what officer shall then act as President, and such officer shall act accordingly, until the disability be removed, or a President shall be elected. (This clause has been modified by Amendment XX and Amendment XXV)

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/art2.asp

Where as Article II, Section 1, Clause 4. states this:

4. No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.

lol! lol! lol!

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:18 pm

Aaron wrote:
bmd wrote:the only real challenge is to Senator McCain's qualifications.

Not so William. John McCain was born on United States soil.

John McCain was born in 1936 at Coco Solo Naval Air Station in the Panama Canal Zone, Panama, to naval officer John S. McCain, Jr. (1911–1981) and Roberta (Wright) McCain (b. 1912).[2] At that time, the Panama Canal was under U.S. control.[3]

Nope. It may have been under U.S. control, but it was not part of the U.S., or it's territories. Babies born to non-U.S. citizens at U.S. military installations in other countries are not automatically granted U.S. citizenship. The only overseas "installations" at which your hypothesis would hold true would be U.S. Embassies, as a nation's embassies are considered the "sovereign territory" of that nation.
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Armon Ayers wrote:
Stephanie wrote:His mother was a natural born US citizen. I don't care if he was born on Pluto, he is an American too. He was elected by a clear majority of voters and this is simply a divisive tactic that can only harm America.

Why do you support the military living overseas when you are against their killing people and breaking things?

I don't support US occupation or US bases all over the globe.

I do support our troops who just go where they are ordered to go.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:34 pm

You are correct William in that military bases are not considered US soil. I was mistaken when I wrote he was born on US soil.

However, he was born at a US Military installation, the son of 2 American citizens. Yes, he is automatically granted US citizenship.

It's interesting that in some countries, depending on their laws, he can also be considered a citizen of that country and have duel citizenship.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:48 pm

bmd wrote:Nope. It may have been under U.S. control, but it was not part of the U.S., or it's territories. The only overseas "installations" at which your hypothesis would hold true would be U.S. Embassies, as a nation's embassies are considered the "sovereign territory" of that nation.

US military bases are foreign territory where all the local laws apply. The status of Americans stationed on those bases is governed by a diplomatic agreement called a Status of Forces Agreement.

When a child is born on a US base with one or more American parents the parent(s) must file all applicable paperwork with the US embassy to get the child's American citizenship recognized.

You should not have a Report of Child Born Abroad of American Parent(s). Only American citizens can file that document with the US embassy. Perhaps it was automatically filled out by the hospital's administration for all births, however, I guarantee you it was not filed with embassy and approved.

When my last two kids were born in Japan, and we went to check my wife and child out of the hospital, part of the discharge process was to sign all the paperwork for the child's citizenship, including the Report of Child Born Abroad of American Parent(s). The hospital then forwarded everything to the US embassy for us. We got the baby's passport, social security card and our documents back in the mail a month later.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080213152522AAJwHwi

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:54 pm

Aaron wrote:You are correct William in that military bases are not considered US soil. I was mistaken when I wrote he was born on US soil.

However, he was born at a US Military installation, the son of 2 American citizens. Yes, he is automatically granted US citizenship.

But, does that meet the definition of "natural born"?

I think that it does. My point is that the case against McCain's citizenship is stronger that the one against Obama's, since the term "natural born" is open to interpretation.

And for those who insist that the U.S. Constitution "says what it says, and isn't open to interpretation" --- Would a baby who is the product of IVF be considered "natural born"? How about a baby born via C-section? For that matter, if the mother used anything other than "natural" childbirth methods, can we really consider the child "natural born"? Should the bible-thumpers be able to veto any child conceived in any manner they consider "unnatural"?

Again, I doubt that President-elect Obama's citizenship would be in question if he were melanin deficient. In fact, I'm willing to bet that some of the same folks raising these questions now were just a few years ago trying to figure out a way to allow Arnold Schwarzenegger (or as he is known around here, der Gropen-führer) to run for president.
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:00 pm

Documentation of U.S. Citizens Born Abroad

U.S. Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs

Documentation of United States Citizens Born
Abroad Who Acquire Citizenship At Birth

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest American consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record is in the form of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America. This document, referred to as the Consular Report of Birth or FS-240, is considered a basic United States citizenship document. An original FS-240 is furnished to the parent(s) at the time the registration is approved.

REPORTING THE BIRTH

A Consular Report of Birth can be prepared only at an American consular office overseas while the child is under the age of 18. Usually, in order to establish the child’s citizenship under the appropriate provisions of U.S. law, the following documents must be submitted:

(1) an official record of the child’s foreign birth;
(2) evidence of the parent(s)’ U.S. citizenship (e.g., a certified birth certificate, current U.S.
passport, or Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship);
(3) evidence of the parents’ marriage, if applicable; and
(4) affidavits of parent(s)’ residence and physical presence in the United States.

In certain cases, it may be necessary to submit additional documents, including affidavits of paternity and support, divorce decrees from prior marriages, or medical reports of blood compatibility. All evidentiary documents should be certified as true copies of the originals by the registrar of the office wherein each document was issued. A service fee of $65 is prescribed under the provisions of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Section 22.1, item 9, for a Consular Report of Birth.

NOTE: Consular Reports of Birth are not available for persons born in Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Panama Canal Zone before October 1, 1979, the Philippines before July 4, 1946, American Samoa, Guam, Swains Island, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or the former U.S. Trust Territories of the Pacific Islands. Birth certificates for those areas, except the Panama Canal Zone, must be obtained from their respective offices of vital statistics. Panama Canal Zone birth certificates should be requested through the Vital Records Section of Passport Services (see address below.) The fees are the same as those for DS-1350.

http://travel.state.gov/law/info/overseas/overseas_703.html

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:20 pm

We don't care what you call Arnold Schwarzenegger as long as you call him your governor and not ours.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:47 pm

That was awesome, Jim!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down