WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG

4 posters

Go down

About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG Empty About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG

Post by Stephanie Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:39 am

The other half are hoping for their piece of the action during his new term.

http://wvrecord.com/news/contentview.asp?c=216244

12/4/2008 8:35 AM
By Chris Dickerson -Statehouse Bureau

CHARLESTON -- About half of the personal injury lawyers who contributed to Attorney General Darrell McGraw's 2008 re-election campaign with large contributions have worked as special assistant AGs for his office.

Those appointments mean the attorneys could reap millions of dollars in legal fees at public expense, and the executive director of a statewide legal reform group is crying out for reform.

Steve Cohen, executive director of West Virginia Citizens Against Lawsuit Abuse, said these official campaign finance reports on file with the Secretary of Stateshow "there is the perception of a pay-to-play arrangement" in McGraw's office.

"Two West Virginia firms that wrote checks to McGraw await their share of a $3.9 million legal fee in their Christmas stocking at public expense," Cohen said. "To this day we have no idea what work they did to earn it."

Guy Bucci, Barry Hill and Teresa Toriseva are all listed as contributors to McGraw on the latest campaign finance reports and were hired by him as outside counsel in a lawsuit he filed against two financial services firms. This summer, in response to a request by WV CALA, Ohio Circuit Judge Ronald Wilson delayed until next month approval of the lawyers' fees pending a review of their work in settling the case.

"This is the problem," Cohen said. "They told the court they worked 'hundreds of hours' on the case. What kind of accountability is that from the attorney general? Who is looking out for the public's money? Did they work 200 hours? 500? If they worked a thousand hours, that's still stiffing West Virginia at $3,300 an hour."

WV CALA has questioned why McGraw needs outside hires when taxpayers already give him a legal staff of 200.

The latest campaign finance reports also reflect contributions from personal injury lawyers McGraw hired for a lawsuit he settled hours after his 2004 re-election. They delivered more than $40,000 in campaign cash to him and got the first $3.3 million cut in legal fees at public expense from an action against the maker of the painkilling drug, OxyContin.

"This system of seemingly rewarding campaign donors with cushy government work must stop if West Virginia's legal system is to be regarded with integrity," Cohen said. "A Sunshine law would hold the AG to public scrutiny and bring transparency to the way that office conducts our business."
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG Empty Re: About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG

Post by SamCogar Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:35 am

It is so corrupt in WV's Government that even the FBI won't investigate.

And that's because the Feds would have to take control of the State after they got rid of all the bad guys.

About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG 197570 About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG 197570 About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG 197570 About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG 33948 About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG 197570 About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG 197570 About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG 197570

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG Empty Re: About half of McGraw's lawyer contributors hired by AG

Post by ohio county Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:22 am

The people spoke.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:31 am

Well old Darrell has took their best shot and he is still standing tall.

Rooting out the swindlers and deceivers who prey on the elderly and the stupid among us.

He is like a tree planted by the waters, he will not be moved. Nor dissuaded from his mission.

I only wish some of the credit card swindlers and other scam artists would do jail time instead of just paying through the nose.

But the legislature will not give him prosecutorial powers or he would do just that.

But it is amazing he can do what he does with what he's got.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:50 am

As I said, the people spoke. It is not my fault the people are ignorant.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:17 am

I expect to see Darrel McGraw walk on water any day now.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:34 pm

He can't. He's got a root ball and he will not be moved. He's planted, for Pete's sake.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Well if you or someone in your family gets swindled out of your life savings, I think you would appreciate old Darrell.

Even if he is a democrat.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:26 am

I'd appreciate him a lot better if I was a blood-sucking lawyer who'd made a donation to his campaign and signed up for a multi-million dollar settlement. Even if he is a democrat.

I'd said before that I've used him to help me with swindlers who took my Dad for money. The Consumer Protection Division does good work but I'm afraid that does not overshadow the malfeasance of using his campaign donors to prosecute cases and take 1/3 of the settlement. Then there's his failure to forward the balance of the settlement to the Treasury. Even if he is a democrat.

Congratulations. I've been trying to take the high road on this since the voters spoke. You sucked me right in.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down