WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When will the O release all contacts between aides and Blag?

+2
ohio county
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
6 posters

Go down

When will the O release all contacts between aides and Blag? Empty When will the O release all contacts between aides and Blag?

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:45 pm

I thought that they were going to release all contacts between O-aides and Blago? Is this the change he promised?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

When will the O release all contacts between aides and Blag? Empty Re: When will the O release all contacts between aides and Blag?

Post by ohio county Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:46 pm

At the direction of the President-elect, a review of Transition staff contacts with Governor Blagojevich and his office has been conducted and completed and is ready for release. That review affirmed the public statements of the President-elect that he had no contact with the governor or his staff, and that the President-elect's staff was not involved in inappropriate discussions with the governor or his staff over the selection of his successor as US Senator.

"Also at the President-elect's direction, Gregory Craig, counsel to the Transition, has kept the US Attorney's office informed of this fact-gathering process in order to ensure our full cooperation with the investigation. In the course of those discussions, the US Attorney's office requested the public release of the Transition review be deferred until the week of December 22, in order not to impede their investigation of the governor. The Transition has agreed to this revised timetable for release," said Obama Transition Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

When will the O release all contacts between aides and Blag? Empty Re: When will the O release all contacts between aides and Blag?

Post by Stephanie Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:48 am

Well I feel worlds better! Don't you?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:48 am

As I told my 16 year old last night, of course Obama knew. It's Chicago.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:16 am

What do you think he knew Aaron?

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:35 am

The same thing any county boss in WV knows regarding the goings on in their county Sod.

Everything.

And if Blagojevich wasn't such a nincompoop, Obama would have taken care of him to get who he wanted in the seat but the good governor screwed it up by getting caught.

Like I said, it's Chicago.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:24 am

They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way!

When will the O release all contacts between aides and Blag? MV5BMTg3ODAxMzIzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTc1MzgxMg@@._V1._CR121,0,580,580_SS90_
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:35 am

Blagojevich legal hurdle: a crime, or just talk?
Tapes of Ill. governor discussing Senate pick may fall into a legal gray area
Video

Blagojevich hires high-powered lawyer
Dec. 16: Rod Blagojevich makes a statement for the first time since he was arrested by federal officials and indicates he is going to fight to remain as governor of Illinois. NBC’s Kevin Tibbles reports.

updated 40 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - When Patrick J. Fitzgerald, the United States attorney in Chicago, announced the arrest of the Illinois governor, Rod R. Blagojevich, Mr. Fitzgerald said he had acted to halt a political crime spree that included what he called an “appalling” effort to sell off the Senate seat vacated by President-elect Barack Obama.

But now some lawyers are beginning to suggest that the juiciest part of the case against Mr. Blagojevich, the part involving the Senate seat, may be less than airtight. There is no evidence, at least none that has been disclosed, that the governor actually received anything of value — and the Senate appointment has yet to be made....

(from www.lynnsamuels.com)

Also from Rob Bennett, perhaps America's most renowned white collar defense lawyer..

"“This town is full of people who call themselves ambassadors, and all they did was pay $200,000 or $300,000 to the Republican or Democratic Party,” said Mr. Bennett, referring to a passage in the criminal complaint filed against the governor suggesting that Mr. Blagojevich was interested in an ambassadorial appointment in return for the Senate seat. “You have to wonder, How much of this guy’s problem was his language, rather than what he really did?”.....

... " politicians routinely receive political contributions in return for their decisions, whether they involve making appointments or taking a stand on legislation. Lawmakers vote in favor of bills and steer appropriations backed by their donors without fear that prosecutors will bug their offices and homes."

Sounds for all the world like old ziggy talking, doesn't he?

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:00 pm

As I said on another thread Sod, I wouldn't be suprised if the AG tipped his hand early to prevent Blagojevich from actually selling the seat.

That doesn't change the fact that he had every intention of selling the seat. I guess how it's worded is what makes it a crime or not.

For instance, in exchange for dropping out of the Presidential race, Barrack Obama promised to help Hillary Clinton pay off her campaign debt.

So it's a crime if you say "Give me $100K and I'll give you the Senate seat" but it's not if you say "Give me the Presidential nomination and I'll give you millions".

Go figure.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Exactly.

Here is more...

"“It’s a very difficult case for a number of reasons; not the least is the nebulous nature of the charges and the inherently difficult issues when you’re talking about a person executing his First Amendment right to promote a particular politician,” said Michael D. Monico, a former federal prosecutor who is now a criminal defense lawyer in Chicago.

“Merely thinking about something is not a crime,” said Mr. Monico, a lawyer for Christopher Kelly, a former Blagojevich fund-raiser who was indicted last year on tax charges. “Just talking about something is not a crime. You need another action for someone to commit a crime.”

Isn't that a lot like the deal with Blankenship and Benjamin.?

Come on now be honest.

For the most part people make big contributions so they can get access and/or favors in return.

They are just not crass enough to blab about it.

(especially while being taped...)

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:17 pm

And I don't believe for a second that Barrack Obama, or at the very least, high ranking members of his team, didn't know what was going on.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:25 pm

Well all I know is what I read in the papers, but I think the US attorney's office said he was not involved.

So if he was involved do you think they would have said he was not?

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:35 pm

I didn't say he was involved. I said he had knowledge. I'm sure he's smart enough to leave himself an out and not get caught up in this mess.

But if he were directly involved, I think short of recorded proof as there was on Nixon, then Yes, the US Attorney would give him a bye.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:42 pm

He has an out - in a few weeks he will have an opportunity to fire Fitzgerald.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:07 pm

Very Happy

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:14 pm

But I thought Congress had to approve to fire AG's.

Or was that just if Bush was the one doing the firing???
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05 pm

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/12/16/america/17illinois.php

Well it looks like Blago's defense will be based on the Bush/Cheney defense.

The legislature does not have time.

It would draw them away from more important duties.

Besides, Blago's lawyer would use the impeachment hearings to find out everything the feds have and what is fact and what is just smoke.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:16 pm

Well, I would say that they could possibly remove him on conduct unbecoming his office but his actions are pretty much the standard for his office.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:11 pm

Aaron wrote:Well, I would say that they could possibly remove him on conduct unbecoming his office but his actions are pretty much the standard for his office.

And for thousands of other administrative and legislative offices around the nation, too.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:21 pm

As I said, it's Chicago and that the Obama team knew.

But the Chicago Sun-Times reported on Wednesday that Emanuel had privately urged Blagojevich's administration to appoint Obama confidant Valerie Jarrett to the Senate seat that Obama vacated when he was elected president November 4.

Emanuel had asked the appointment be made by a certain deadline, the newspaper said.

Emanuel is a Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Illinois chosen by Obama to be his White House chief of staff.

Obama senior adviser David Axelrod offered a strong defense of Emanuel on MSNBC a day after Obama refused to answer a question about the Blagojevich case at a Chicago news conference because the U.S. attorney has the case under investigation.

"I've known Rahm ... for a very long time. I've worked with him closely. He is someone who I think has enormous integrity and unparalleled skill. And I think we're lucky to have him," Axelrod said. "I have no concerns about Rahm. He is an enormous asset to us and will be an enormous asset to the country, as he has been in the Congress."

source
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down