WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carbon Dioxide and Climate (circa 1959)

2 posters

Go down

Carbon Dioxide and Climate (circa 1959) Empty Carbon Dioxide and Climate (circa 1959)

Post by ziggy Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:24 pm

From Scientific American:

Editor's Note: We are posting this article from our July 1959 issue to offer an historical perspective on some of the issues being discussed at the United Nations Framework Climate Change Conference in Poznan, Poland, which began December 1 and runs through December 12.

The theories that explain worldwide climate change are almost as varied as the weather. The more familiar ones attribute changes of climate to Olympian forces that range from geological upheavals and dust-belching volcanoes to long-term variations in the radiation of the sun and eccentricities in the orbit of the earth. Only the so-called carbon dioxide theory takes account of the possibility that human activities may have some effect on climate. This theory suggests that in the present century man is unwittingly raising the temperature of the earth by his industrial and agricultural activities.

Even the carbon dioxide theory is not new; the basic idea was first precisely stated in 1861 by the noted British physicist John Tyndall. He attributed climatic temperature-changes to variations in the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. According to the theory, carbon dioxide controls temperature because the carbon dioxide molecules in the air absorb infrared radiation. The carbon dioxide and other gases in the atmosphere are virtually transparent to the visible radiation that delivers the sun's energy to the earth. But the earth in turn reradiates much of the energy in the invisible infrared region of the spectrum. This radiation is most intense at wavelengths very close to the principal absorption band (13 to 17 microns) of the carbon dioxide spectrum. When the carbon dioxide concentration is sufficiently high, even its weaker absorption bands become effective, and a greater amount of infrared radiation is absorbed [see chart on page 42]. Because the carbon dioxide blanket prevents its escape into space, the trapped radiation warms up the atmosphere.

What was their political agenda a half century ago- and whose was it?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Carbon Dioxide and Climate (circa 1959) Empty Re: Carbon Dioxide and Climate (circa 1959)

Post by SamCogar Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:57 pm

Because the carbon dioxide blanket prevents its escape into space, the trapped radiation warms up the atmosphere.

Now by damn I like that, HOORAY, ...... HOORAY, ........ WHOOPE.

Yup sireeeeeee, that confirms, proves and substantiates my ........

Home Insulation Theory

I will now go buy myself a huge tank of CO2, affix to it a long air hose with a trigger nozzle ...... and fill up all the outside walls and attic with about 20% CO2 which is about 2,000% more than the atmosphere has .......... and I will be warm and snug as a Church mouse, surrounded by that warm carbon dioxide thermal blanket, for the rest of the winter.

And to hell with Dominion Hope and their $150 to $200 per month winter gas bills.

Let it snow, ...... let it snow, ....... let it snow.

Carbon Dioxide and Climate (circa 1959) 197570 lol! Carbon Dioxide and Climate (circa 1959) 249131 Carbon Dioxide and Climate (circa 1959) 49761 Carbon Dioxide and Climate (circa 1959) 33948 Carbon Dioxide and Climate (circa 1959) 81632

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down