WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Massey firm to plead guilty in mine deaths

2 posters

Go down

Massey firm to plead guilty in mine deaths Empty Massey firm to plead guilty in mine deaths

Post by ziggy Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:39 pm

I told you so.

This ought to put an end to the b.s. excuse that the two victims of this tragic fire brought about their own demise by their own negligence.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- A Massey Energy subsidiary has admitted to criminal safety violations that caused the deaths of two Logan County coal miners in a January 2006 fire, federal prosecutors revealed Tuesday.

Massey's Aracoma Coal Co. has agreed to plead guilty to 10 criminal charges, including one felony, and pay $2.5 million in criminal fines, according to documents filed in U.S. District Court in Charleston.

Aracoma agreed to plead guilty to not providing a proper escape tunnel out of the underground mine, to not conducting required evacuation drills, and to faking a record book so it appeared the drills had been done.

Aracoma is at least the fourth subsidiary of Massey to plead guilty in the last five years to criminal violations of federal environmental or safety laws.

In 2003, Independence Coal Co. and Omar Mining Co. each paid $200,000 in fines after pleading guilty to criminal Clean Water Act violations related to illegal spills of mining waste into Boone County streams. And in July 2007, White Buck Coal Co. agreed to a $50,000 fine after pleading guilty to one misdemeanor count of not making sure a mine was safe before workers went underground.

Also, in January 2008, Massey agreed to a record $20 million civil fine to settle a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency lawsuit that accused the company of thousands of water pollution violations across the Southern West Virginia and Eastern Kentucky coalfields.

http://wvgazette.com/News/200812230240
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Massey firm to plead guilty in mine deaths Empty Re: Massey firm to plead guilty in mine deaths

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:49 pm

Seems to me that in addition to paying fines (which are clearly not high enough based on Massey's repeated violations) those guilty of criminal actions should go to jail, including any state inspectors that were on site the day before and the day of the fatal fire and failed to do their job as well.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Massey firm to plead guilty in mine deaths Empty Re: Massey firm to plead guilty in mine deaths

Post by ziggy Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:49 pm

Amen to that! But it won't happen until Santa Claus actually does fly in a sled powered by reindeer.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:59 pm

If anyone does go to jail, it will be low level people who work at the mine, not anyone high enough to actually change anything or MSHA inspectors who were derelict in their duty.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down