WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme (like Madoff's)?

3 posters

Go down

Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme (like Madoff's)? Empty Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme (like Madoff's)?

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:52 pm

Business Week ^ | December 28, 2008 | Michael Mandel

In the aftermath of the Madoff implosion, quite a few people have pointed out the parallels between a Ponzi scheme and Social Security. Arnold Kling, whom I respect, has written: I’ve been thinking that Madoff is a perfect analogy for the public sector. The government gives people money, which it expects to obtain by taking the money from people in the future. Even the Center on Budget Policy and Priorities, not known as a right-wing organization, sees the U.S. fiscal stance as unsustainable (pointer from Ezra Klein via Tyler Cowen)—in other words, a Ponzi scheme.

Democrats promise "a lock box" on Social Security funds. Can someone tell me where my contributions are? Where is this lock box kept, Democrats?[i]
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme (like Madoff's)? Empty Re: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme (like Madoff's)?

Post by Cato Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Armon Ayers wrote: Can someone tell me where my contributions are? Where is this lock box kept, Democrats?[i]

Your contributions along with mine and everyone else that has been forced to pay into social security were transfered to the general fund and spent on votebuying schemes. Approximately half of the National Debt is comprised of money opwned the social security trust fund. You can check this out for yourself on the US Treasury website. The money each of us hjave had extorted into the social security trust fund is now one hugh I.O.U. signed by the republicans and democrats who have and who now occupy office.

In regard to your original question, is social security a ponzi scheme, the answer is:
YES!!!!!

Last edited by Cato on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cato

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme (like Madoff's)? Empty Re: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme (like Madoff's)?

Post by SamCogar Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:12 pm

All of our SS money,
Is in paper IOU’s,
In a lockbox in Parkersburg, WV,
In someone else’s name.

Sung to the tune of “All the Gold in California"

Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme (like Madoff's)? 197570 Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme (like Madoff's)? 197570 Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme (like Madoff's)? 197570

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:07 pm

Love him or hate him, this time Jim Cramer makes a good point.

While some in the media have expressed fury over allegations that Bernard Madoff ran a Ponzi scheme that may have cost investors up to $50 billion, CNBC’s “Mad Money” host Jim Cramer made another point.

“To everybody in the press, who’s calling Bernie Madoff’s alleged $50 billion scam the ‘largest Ponzi scheme ever,’ I say give me a break,” Cramer said on his Dec. 17 show.

According to Cramer, the largest Ponzi scheme in history is run by the federal government – Social Security.

“We know the truth about Ponzi schemes,” Cramer said. “We all know the name of the biggest Ponzi scheme in history and it’s not even illegal. In fact, it is run by the U.S. government. And the name of it – well they call it Social Security.”

(Excerpt) Read more at businessandmedia.org ...
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:58 pm

Armon Ayers wrote:Love him or hate him, this time Jim Cramer makes a good point.

While some in the media have expressed fury over allegations that Bernard Madoff ran a Ponzi scheme that may have cost investors up to $50 billion, CNBC’s “Mad Money” host Jim Cramer made another point.

“To everybody in the press, who’s calling Bernie Madoff’s alleged $50 billion scam the ‘largest Ponzi scheme ever,’ I say give me a break,” Cramer said on his Dec. 17 show.

According to Cramer, the largest Ponzi scheme in history is run by the federal government – Social Security.

“We know the truth about Ponzi schemes,” Cramer said. “We all know the name of the biggest Ponzi scheme in history and it’s not even illegal. In fact, it is run by the U.S. government. And the name of it – well they call it Social Security.”

So, What are you doing about it? Are you calling your elected representatives to express you views? Do you vote for people that support and embrace the US Consitution or do you continue to put the same people back in office?

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:02 pm

Cato wrote:
Armon Ayers wrote:Love him or hate him, this time Jim Cramer makes a good point.

Q: So, What are you doing about it? Are you calling your elected representatives to express you views? Do you vote for people that support and embrace the US Consitution or do you continue to put the same people back in office?

A.
Something. Yes. Yes.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down