WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some people should just stay in the fly-over states

+2
Aaron
bmd
6 posters

Go down

Some people should just stay in the fly-over states Empty Some people should just stay in the fly-over states

Post by bmd Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:12 pm

A rare Heermann’s gull had to be euthanized after it was allegedly beaten by a man who claimed the bird had attacked him and his wife near the playground at Main Beach on New Year’s Eve, Laguna Beach Police Sgt. Jason Kravetz said.

I guess it's a good thing that a kid playing frisbee didn't bump into him or kick sand on to his Bermuda shorts. Things could have gotten really ugly.
bmd
bmd

Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2008-10-11

http://www.venganza.org/

Back to top Go down

Some people should just stay in the fly-over states Empty Re: Some people should just stay in the fly-over states

Post by Aaron Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:30 pm

Heermann’s gulls — an unusually aggressive species of Pacific Coast gull — are on the Audubon Society’s watch list for endangered or threatened birds, according to the society’s website.

The suspected attacker, Dragan Djuric, 50, of Wichita, Kan., was cited for misdemeanor cruelty to animals in the incident at 2:53 p.m. Dec. 31, according to police records. The citation carries a $500 fine.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Some people should just stay in the fly-over states Empty Re: Some people should just stay in the fly-over states

Post by bmd Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Aaron,

A two-pound bird vs. a full-grown man? He obviously didn't feel threatened, as he attacked the birds after they had left him alone to get their ice cream.

I almost can't believe even you would try to defend that. Then again, perhaps I've overestimated you.
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:39 pm

bmd wrote:Aaron,

A two-pound bird vs. a full-grown man? He obviously didn't feel threatened, as he attacked the birds after they had left him alone to get their ice cream.

I almost can't believe even you would try to defend that. Then again, perhaps I've overestimated you.

Now that would be really easy to do.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:49 pm

I wans't defending anything BMD. I was merely pointing out what I found in YOUR link. I've never heard of a Herrmann's gull.

I also don't know how they are aggressive. Perhaps you can shed some light.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:08 pm

Aaron wrote:I wans't defending anything BMD. I was merely pointing out what I found in YOUR link. I've never heard of a Herrmann's gull.

I also don't know how they are aggressive. Perhaps you can shed some light.

It's a BIRD.

Alfred Hitchcock classics nor withstanding, it's harmless. (Unless you're a shore crab, or an anchovy) They've simply learned that small kids, and over-weight pasty-skinned tourists, scare easily and drop their over-priced tourist chow.
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:31 pm

I know. I googled a picture and saw what it was. I was under the impression that it was the same size of sea gull's. I've had those dive bomb at me while deep sea fishing and it's not pleasant.

I agree, the tourist went too far.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:56 pm

Even Herring and California gulls (probably what you are thinking of when you say, "sea gulls") are no threat to people. To whack a gull (any gull) with a stick just because it startled him into dropping his ice cream is indefensible. It's akin to hitting a puppy with a stick because it barked.
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:25 am

As a bird lover who spent 40 years enjoying life as a beach bum, I can tell you gulls can be extremely aggressive. According to my field guides that bird has a pretty impressive wingspan.

The guy's an idiot, but surely there was a better solution than beating the thing. That bird probably was mean and I would never compare a seagull to a puppy. Puppies are cute and cuddly and make nice companions. Seagulls are rats with wings who happen to keep our beaches clean.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:14 am

Stephanie wrote:As a bird lover who spent 40 years enjoying life as a beach bum, I can tell you gulls can be extremely aggressive. According to my field guides that bird has a pretty impressive wingspan.

The guy's an idiot, but surely there was a better solution than beating the thing. That bird probably was mean and I would never compare a seagull to a puppy. Puppies are cute and cuddly and make nice companions. Seagulls are rats with wings who happen to keep our beaches clean.

Pigeons are flying rats. Gulls are more like flying raccoons.

Gulls can be a bit annoying, particularly when they poop on the companionway hatch of my boat (why just the companionway hatch????). And the folks who made Finding Nemo rendered their behavior about as well as I have ever seen. However, a threat to ones safety, and annoying, are two entirely different things.

Besides, what's the ocean without gulls? Listen to any "soundtrack" of the ocean, or beach, or a harbor, on TV, or in one of those canned soundtracks that are supposed to help one sleep; what does the "ocean" sound like? --- a gong buoy, a foghorn, surf, and seagulls. In fact, whether intentionally or not, one of the reasons this Kansas knucklehead travelled all the way to California was to see and listen to gulls --- NOT to buy a $4 ice cream cone.
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:20 am

Like I said, the guy is an idiot. Sandy Cheeks called seagulls rats with wings. I thought that little squirrel about nailed it.

I don't believe in being unkind to animals and in general am an animal lover. I find seagulls to be pests and don't like them. That doesn't mean I wish them any harm....I just much prefer it when they keep their distance......and I don't mean over my head.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:53 am

YUP, all of you characters should band together and lobbly your Congresspersons to immediately pass a Law requiring all children under the age of 18 to wear protective head gear with shatter-proof eye and face protection whenever they are on any beach during daylight hours that is inhabited by any species of Sea Gull.

Why you could even include a big ole "sticker" to be applied to that face protector stating:

WARNING
DO NO REMOVE FACE PROTECTOR
when any gulls are close by

Some people should just stay in the fly-over states 249131 Some people should just stay in the fly-over states 249131 Some people should just stay in the fly-over states 249131 Some people should just stay in the fly-over states 249131

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:34 pm

I have NEVER heard of a gull actually injuring anyone (with the exception of gulls that get hit by vehicles, etc.). Then again, Sam, you probably wouldn't like the beaches around here anyway. Ya' see they don't allow smoking on most of them. Do yourself, and beach-goers, a favor and just stay home in your toxic cloud.
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:42 am

bmd wrote:I have NEVER heard of a gull actually injuring anyone (with the exception of gulls that get hit by vehicles, etc.). Then again, Sam, you probably wouldn't like the beaches around here anyway. Ya' see they don't allow smoking on most of them. Do yourself, and beach-goers, a favor and just stay home in your toxic cloud.

You are right bmd, I wouldn't like seeing the likes of you wallowing around and cavorting with all those Sea Lions that have emigrated to those "fun beaches".

Incidents of Sea Gull attacks in the US do not sell newspapers and that is because the public is not interested in reading about them.

A primary school in the city was closed for the day because staff had come under concerted attack from gulls which had nested on the school's roof. The chicks had hatched and the parent birds had become very aggressive, diving at staff in the playground. The headteacher feared that the children might also come under attack.

A man reported that a seagull had swooped and attacked him, cutting his head.

Back in 2001 an elderly pensioner in Seaford was too frightened to return to her bungalow after she was attacked and injured by a seagull. The cut on her head required stitches.

http://www.thisbrighton.co.uk/culture-wildlife3.htm

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:45 am

ps: While fishing for Sea Trout I was "spiked" in the foot by a small Ray but it didn't get reported in any Florida newspaper.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:12 pm

http://gadgetnation.net/store/index.php/component/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/flypage,shop.flypage/page,shop.product_details/product_id,51/vmcchk,1/
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by bmd Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:03 pm

SamCogar wrote:
You are right bmd, I wouldn't like seeing the likes of you wallowing around and cavorting with all those Sea Lions that have emigrated (sic) to those "fun beaches".

What do sea lions have to do with this?

BTW, you should try scuba diving with sea lions some time. They play their version of "chicken" with divers by swimming right at one and then peeling away at the last possible second. Ever have to "change your shorts" underwater?

SamCogar wrote:Incidents of Sea Gull attacks in the US do not sell newspapers and that is because the public is not interested in reading about them.

A primary school in the city was closed for the day because staff had come under concerted attack from gulls which had nested on the school's roof. The chicks had hatched and the parent birds had become very aggressive, diving at staff in the playground. The headteacher feared that the children might also come under attack.

A man reported that a seagull had swooped and attacked him, cutting his head.

Back in 2001 an elderly pensioner in Seaford was too frightened to return to her bungalow after she was attacked and injured by a seagull. The cut on her head required stitches.

Obviously, these folks should stay away from the beach, and vicious kittens, and other such hazards.
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down