WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hillary's successor

4 posters

Go down

Hillary's successor Empty Hillary's successor

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:09 pm

Aide: Successor chosen for Clinton's Senate seat
By MICHAEL GORMLEY, Associated Press Writer Michael Gormley, Associated Press Writer
2 hrs 16 mins ago

ALBANY, New York – Gov. David Paterson has picked Democratic U.S. Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand to fill New York's vacant U.S. Senate seat, an aide to the governor said early Friday, a day after Caroline Kennedy abruptly withdrew from consideration.

Gillibrand, a second-term lawmaker from upstate New York, will be named to fill the seat vacated when Hillary Rodham Clinton resigned to become secretary of state in the Obama administration, the aide said, speaking on condition of anonymity because an announcement hadn't been made. It was scheduled for later Friday.

Gillibrand's office didn't immediately return a call seeking comment.

She was considered one of the top contenders in Paterson's selection process, along with Kennedy and state Attorney General Andrew Cuomo.

Paterson's appointment lasts until 2010, when a special election will be held to fill the final two years of Clinton's term.

story
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Hillary's successor Empty Re: Hillary's successor

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Does slick Willie get conjugal visits since she succeeded Hillary.

Hillary's successor 600_Hillary
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:32 pm

Come on aaron what does that have to do with this story?

Why not talk about the lady's qualifications, etc.

Sometimes this forum seems more like a tabloid.

This lady seems like your kind of Democrat.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:55 pm

Look at the picture Sod, Hillary having a good old laugh while the congresswoman looking apprehensive like she's scared out of her mind. It fit my line perfectly.

Or perhaps it was Hillary that scared her so bad. Who knows?

On a serious note though, I don't know that she's my type of democrat. Honestly, I don't even know if those exist anymore.

Gillibrand is a member of the Blue Dog Coalition. She opposes gun control. She supports extending the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts for middle class families; stem cell research; and the Children's Health and Medicare Protection Act. Gillibrand opposes attempts to partially privatize Social Security.[6] She strongly supported passage of the 2008 Farm Bill. Gillibrand broke with former Governor Eliot Spitzer on the issue of illegal immigration, opposing his plan to issue New York State drivers licenses to illegal immigrants. She supports same-sex marriage.

About the only one of those issues I might agree with her on is same sex marriage and the extension of the tax cuts, which should be made permanent by the way.

I do think it's curious that they picked her over Cuomo though. I wonder if she has the ability to raise the money needed to win the seat next year and then again in 2012.

Perhaps Bill should run for the seat and join Andrew Johnson as former Presidents elected to the Senate. What do you think about that?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:06 pm

Politico says that Ms Gillibrand is a prodigious fund raiser.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0109/The_Gillibrand_pick.html

They're thinking that Patterson will need some help in her current district and naming her to the Senate will make him some points there.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:30 pm

I'm just relieved it isn't Cuomo, one of the founding father's of our current economic crisis.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: