WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Dems don't mind raising taxes...

+3
SamCogar
ohio county
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why Dems don't mind raising taxes... Empty Why Dems don't mind raising taxes...

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:08 am

they don't pay them. Until they are forced to--and then they get permission from fellow Democrats to pay them. Republicans go to jail.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Why Dems don't mind raising taxes... Empty Re: Why Dems don't mind raising taxes...

Post by ohio county Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:59 am

I don't know - I'd like to get Orrin Hatch and Lindsay Graham to represent me in a tax-evasion case.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Why Dems don't mind raising taxes... Empty Re: Why Dems don't mind raising taxes...

Post by ohio county Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:17 pm

12:55 Daschle out!
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:35 pm

I'll bet Daschle is red hot about paying his taxes and then taking a hike!
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:43 pm

Damned if that wasn't a costly mistake.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:47 pm

Daschle wasn't the only tax cheat to resign today. What is it with taxes and democrats?

Obama appointee Killefer withdraws over unpaid taxes

By Margaret Talev | McClatchy Newspapers
WASHINGTON — The White House press office confirmed that Nancy Killefer, who was to be chief performance officer, a newly created federal post, has withdrawn her candidacy because of tax problems.

She becomes the third Obama pick for a high visibility post to have tax problems revealed. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner was confirmed anyhow; HHS pick and former Sen. Tom Daschle appears to have enough support to be confirmed despite his.

source
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:39 pm

http://townhall.com/Columnists/RudyGersten/2009/02/03/daschles_hypocrisy

...a cabinet secretary “ought to set the example, ought to be able to enforce all of the laws." Tom Daschle
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Armon Ayers wrote:they don't pay them. Until they are forced to--and then they get permission from fellow Democrats to pay them. Republicans go to jail.

Well Armon, I dont know for sure but I figure Daschle paid a lot more than you or I paid.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:43 pm

sodbuster wrote:
Armon Ayers wrote:they don't pay them. Until they are forced to--and then they get permission from fellow Democrats to pay them. Republicans go to jail.

Well Armon, I dont know for sure but I figure Daschle paid a lot more than you or I paid.

Percentage wise of income, I imagine I paid more. I am self-employed as a minister of the Gospel.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:00 am

Another nominee runs into confirmation problems:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/01/13/ST2009011302496.html
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 am

"The opposition party's interest is often not so much eliciting the truth as making trouble -- or, at least, creating a record with which trouble can be made."

(Isnt that just a fancy way of saying they are just being obstructionists?)

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:40 am

The bottom line is Sodbuster; Tom Daschle wasn't qualified for the postion in which he was nominated. He was a defeated Senator who took millions from the very lobby he was going to be given the task of regulating and he was a tax cheat who got caught (he knew about this months ago) and then instead of owning up when he was caught, he waited until he became a nominee in a an administration that had just completed a two year campaign with a central theme of change.

Just because this guy has a "D" behind his name doesn't mean he walks on water. Even Barrack Obama admitted nominating him was a mistake. Why can't you?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:51 am

Well Aaron I was responding to OC's post.

Please note the quote from his referenced source...

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Why Dems don't mind raising taxes... Empty Double-standard

Post by Keli Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:58 am

Senator Ted Stevens (REPUBLICAN) was charged, tried and found guilty of having his house repaired--while Congressman Charles Rangell (DEMOCRAT) has skated for not paying taxes on rental properties he owns.
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:07 am

"The opposition party's interest is often not so much eliciting the truth as making trouble -- or, at least, creating a record with which trouble can be made."

(Isnt that just a fancy way of saying they are just being obstructionists?)

No, that is a pretty pedestrian way of saying that the proper role of the opposition party is to make trouble for the nominees. If the nominee doesn't answer even the most harmless questions, however, she makes her own trouble. Or do you consider it bipartisan to confirm democrats as an article of faith?
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:23 am

And if ever a quote was taken out of context that was it Sodbuster.

Did you even read the article, which was about confirmation hearings and used the current nomination for the Secretary of Labor and her refusal to elaborate on labor issues as an example to the nomination and confirmation process? Perhaps you should have posted a little more of the article and not focused on one sentence.

This is a familiar drill. The nominee's goal is to ruffle as few feathers as possible. The opposition party's interest is often not so much eliciting the truth as making trouble -- or, at least, creating a record with which trouble can be made.

Some amount of evasive maneuvering at these sessions is unavoidable. Confirmation hearings aren't let-it-all-hang-out moments. There are policy positions on which a new administration in particular may be genuinely undecided. Fair enough.

But Solis was not a judicial nominee inappropriately pressed to discuss a case that might come before her. How can senators consent if they have no clue what policies they might be consenting to? Perhaps her hearing was an anomaly; the latest blizzard of hearings -- for Hillary Clinton as secretary of state, Arne Duncan as education secretary, Steven Chu as energy secretary -- seemed more illuminating.

Still, it's important to point out: Democrats had little tolerance for nonanswers when Republican nominees were doing the bobbing and weaving. It is an imperfect comparison, but recall their consternation -- and ensuing "no" votes -- when Michael Mukasey, in his confirmation hearing to be attorney general, said he did not have enough information about the precise technique involved to say that waterboarding was torture.

Presidents are entitled to significant deference in choosing executive branch officials. Mere policy disagreements are insufficient grounds for rejection. But the flip side of that permissive standard is that the Senate deserves a modicum of frankness.

In fact, that might even be in the interest of the new administration. After all, unlike a judicial nomination, a Cabinet secretary's hearing is not a one-time deal but the start of a relationship. The Solis method may not be the best way to begin a beautiful friendship with your committee of jurisdiction -- or to launch a new era of bipartisanship.

A wise senator once put it this way: "While the initiative for selection originates with the president, we have [a] solemn responsibility to get a sense of the person the president has selected." Too often, he said, "We have made a grave error in failing to press nominees on their policy positions only to find out later that their positions are anathema once they are in office."

That was Vice President-elect Joe Biden, at the 1981 confirmation hearing for Ronald Reagan's attorney general William French Smith. The new administration might benefit from taking a good look at that dusty old transcript -- and taking Biden's words to heart.

So the questions is, given that Congress will be working intimately with the Presidents cabinet, do they then have a legitimate right to ask tough questions and expect honest, detailed answers?

From the tone of your post, your answer appears to be no.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:58 am

But Solis was not a judicial nominee inappropriately pressed to discuss a case that might come before her. How can senators consent if they have no clue what policies they might be consenting to?

Labor policy (law) is made by Congress, and by state legislatures. So what does it matter what the Secretary of Labor, who is presumably sworn to uphold the law, thinks about these questions?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:10 pm

Law may well be written by Congress but make no mistake about it, policy is set by and enforced by the Department of Labor, which takes its lead from it's Presidential appointed Secretary.

And considering it’s a cabinet position that requires Senate approval, yes the Senate has a right to ask tough questions and the nominee has an obligation to be honest. Period.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:22 pm

The Labor Secretary's job is to implement the laws- regardless of his or her biases. The questions cited here are not about how well the candidate would or would not implement the laws. They are about finding new political cannon fodder.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Then why have a cabinet position that is answerable to Congress?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:44 pm

Elaine Chao instituted a reporting program which required unions to make their income and expenditures public. It isn't nearly as detailed as Sarbanes-Oxley but it is a pretty good start. I'd be interested to hear how quickly Hilda Solis plans to roll over and discontinue that program. It is not a legal requirement.

Also, I'd like to know if she plans to continue lobbying for card check legislation.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:50 pm

"Did you even read the article, which was about confirmation hearings and used the current nomination for the Secretary of Labor and her refusal to elaborate on labor issues as an example to the nomination and confirmation process?"

Yes I read it.

I had assumed you did not, since you were chastising me over the Daschle nomination and that was not even what OC's reference was about.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:00 pm

Initially no, I did not read the article. I assumed it referred to Daschle or Nancy Killefer. I didn't know the list was now up to 4 on troubled nominees and counting.

But none of that changes the fact that your one sentence post was way out of context and unnecessarily partisan, does it Sodbuster!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:27 pm

Aaron wrote:Then why have a cabinet position that is answerable to Congress?

I would presume that it is so Congress can make some determination as to the fitness of the nominee to implement the labor laws.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:39 pm

I hate to be the one to tell you but you're presuming wrong Ziggy.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next