WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did the stimulus do this?

4 posters

Go down

Did the stimulus do this? Empty Did the stimulus do this?

Post by Aaron Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:19 pm

I'm confused. First it was the news that unemployment claims had decreased and now we're learning consumer spending was up in January.

How can this be. Aren't we supposed to be behind Somila in economic output The One's stimulus spending package doesn't pass?

Retail sales rise unexpectedly in January
By MARCY GORDON, AP Business Writer Marcy Gordon, Ap Business Writer
1 hr 42 mins ago

WASHINGTON – U.S. retail sales jumped 1 percent in January, reversing a six-month declining trend and defying economists' expectations by posting the biggest increase in 14 months.

But higher gasoline prices and sales, and buyers snapping up other items on post-holiday discounts appeared to aid last month's results. Analysts cautioned that the relief is unlikely to last.

The Commerce Department reported Thursday that January retail sales rose 1 percent from December after having fallen for six straight months. Wall Street economists surveyed by Thomson Reuters had expected January sales to show a drop of 0.8 percent. They plunged a revised lower 3 percent in December, which marked the weakest holiday selling season since at least 1969.

"This is a big surprise, though the net rise in sales is less impressive than it looks because (December and November) were revised down by 0.3 percent each," Ian Shepherdson, chief U.S. economist at High Frequency Economics, wrote in a research note. "The headline relief today is welcome but it is unlikely to last."

The January report shows strong increases in sales of automobiles and in general merchandise stores — the "big box" outlets — though sales by department stores, carrying fewer varieties of items, posted a decline. Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world's largest retailer, is an example of a discounter that has benefited from strapped consumers' focus on necessities like groceries and on bargains for other items.

Sales at gas stations jumped 2.6 percent in January — the biggest increase since June, while sales of autos and parts rose 1.6 percent.

Total retail sales excluding autos and parts still rose 0.9 percent, which again easily beat estimates by economists who expected a decline of 0.5 percent.

Nonstore retailers, such as Internet and mail-order shopping, advanced 2.7 percent in January, while sales of food and beverages rose 2.1 percent. Health and personal care stores registered flat sales last month.

source
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Did the stimulus do this? Empty Re: Did the stimulus do this?

Post by ziggy Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Maybe people are starting to be more optimistic about their economic prospects.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:36 pm

ziggy wrote:Maybe people are starting to be more optimistic about their economic prospects.

If you are saying Obama's Stimulus package had something to do with it, think again. The markets certainly aren't reflecting your opinion.

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:45 pm

Cato wrote:
ziggy wrote:Maybe people are starting to be more optimistic about their economic prospects.

If you are saying Obama's Stimulus package had something to do with it, think again. The markets certainly aren't reflecting your opinion.

What markets? The stock market? We are talking about real people, buying real goods here. Apparently people are buying more again.

Some laid off construction workers here in Jackson County are salivating at the prospect of being called back to work if this "stimulus" deal passes.

I tried telling them that it was all just borrowed money- an illusionary economic "stimulus". When I tell them that, their eyes just sort of glaze over in a "So what" stance.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:59 pm

ziggy wrote:
Cato wrote:

What markets? The stock market? We are talking about real people, buying real goods here. Apparently people are buying more again.

Some laid off construction workers here in Jackson County are salivating at the prospect of being called back to work if this "stimulus" deal passes.

I tried telling them that it was all just borrowed money- an illusionary economic "stimulus". When I tell them that, their eyes just sort of glaze over in a "So what" stance.

Did the stimulus do this? 33948

So now you are saying that us little folks that invest in the stock market aren't real people. Tell you what bohunk, there is alot of us that don't have a pile a confidence in anything your beloved politicians do.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:36 pm

Perhaps you should have read the story. Then you would have seen those numbers reflected January's rise, which took about the time house republicans overwhelming voted no and there was still a sliver of a chance Pelosi's wish list wouldn't pass.

As for the stock market, it's only down 2000 points since election day . We know how investors and business feel about the Fuhrer’s plan. I'm sure that doesn't bother a comrade like you though, does it Ziggevich.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:09 pm

Cato wrote:
ziggy wrote:
Cato wrote:

So now you are saying that us little folks that invest in the stock market aren't real people. Tell you what bohunk, there is alot of us that don't have a pile a confidence in anything your beloved politicians do.

But Cato, the article was not about the stock market- but about people buying stuff. How can you or I or anyone make any money in the stock market unless people buy stuff. Unless someone sells something- a product or a service- to someone who will buy it- nothing will happen in the economy.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:31 pm

ziggy wrote:
Cato wrote:
ziggy wrote:
Cato wrote:

But Cato, the article was not about the stock market- but about people buying stuff. How can you or I or anyone make any money in the stock market unless people buy stuff. Unless someone sells something- a product or a service- to someone who will buy it- nothing will happen in the economy.

Yea, it is. And you made the comment that maybe people were feeling better about the economy. And I made the comment that the stock Market didn't reflect what you were saying, which is that people are feeling better about the economy. Now, if the trend of consummer spending continues over a couple of months and small investors start going back into the stock market, I'll agree. Until then, you nor I have any idea whether or not this is blip, or the beginning of an upswing.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:59 am

I'm feeling a little better about the economy. The Gregg resignation changes the Senatorial arithmetic. First, Gregg is back so we're at sixty-one again. But Kennedy is out so we're at sixty. The three RINOs (Collins, Snowe, and Sphincter) all say that they don't want to be number sixty. Guess what? If they remain supporters of the porkulus bill one of the three will be number sixty. I'll be anxious to see if this changes anything. At the very least we should see some minor concession to sanity...
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:27 am

"Will the Stimulus Actually Stimulate? The Economists Say No."
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/62082.html

Did the stimulus do this? NightLivingDead02i
TARP-supported bankers enter House Banking Committee hearing room to testify at monthly dressing-down from democrat experts at banking and finance.

I was unaware that all the banks in Japan were called “zombie banks” because of their resemblance to filmdom’s living dead. The real estate bubble that caused the Japanese meltdown resulted in the government propping up these losers and going on a decade-long spending spree that prolonged the Japanese malaise. American economic experts, including current Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers, strongly advised the Japanese to let the banks die a natural death and stop the macabre drain on the economy. Hey, wait, isn’t that what we are being rushed into doing now?
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down