WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Study: Presidential Frontrunners Would Boost Federal Budget

3 posters

Go down

Study: Presidential Frontrunners Would Boost Federal Budget Empty Study: Presidential Frontrunners Would Boost Federal Budget

Post by Stephanie Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:52 am

http://www.ntu.org/main/press.php?PressID=991&org_name=NTUF

It is important to note that Rudy Giuliani dropped from the race.

For Immediate Release Jan 29, 2008
For Further Information, Contact:
Peter J. Sepp, Natasha Altamirano, Demian Brady, (703) 683-5700
Study: Presidential Frontrunners Would Boost Federal Budget by Range of $7 Billion to $287 Billion Annually

(Alexandria, VA) -- Presidential contenders have been busy portraying their political differences from others inside and outside of their parties, but when it comes to fiscal policy, ideological labels don't necessarily apply. That's just one finding of a comprehensive study from the National Taxpayers Union Foundation (NTUF), which provides cost estimates -- based on hard data -- for more than 450 of the major candidates’ proposals that would affect the federal budget.

"Our analyses hopefully will help taxpayers distinguish political posturing from concrete proposals -- many of which would significantly change the size and make-up of the federal budget," NTUF Senior Policy Analyst Demian Brady said. "As the public-policy debate on the campaign trail nears its 'Super Tuesday' peak next week, we're providing Americans with the chance to systematically examine how future budget plans may affect their own future finances."

NTUF assumed the most conservative cost estimates of federal outlays based on a variety of sources, including the candidates' own projections; summaries from the Congressional Budget Office, Congressional Research Service, and the White House Office of Management and Budget; and results from equivalent legislation from NTUF's BillTally cost accounting system. Among the general findings of the eight reports, analyzing six Republicans and two Democrats:

The eight candidates proposed a combined total of 189 items that would increase federal spending, 24 items that would decrease it, and 238 items whose budgetary impacts are unknown -- in addition to dozens of sub-items further detailing program components. The four respective frontrunners in the two parties (John McCain, Mitt Romney, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama), proposed overall fiscal policy agendas whose net effect would raise annual federal outlays between $6.9 billion and $287.0 billion.

The top-tier GOP candidates often portrayed as "conservative" (Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee) actually called for significantly larger spending hikes ($19.5 billion and $54.2 billion, respectively), than the so-called "moderate conservative" (John McCain, $6.9 billion).

Among Democrats, Barack Obama, often described as ideologically more "moderate" than Hillary Clinton, actually has the larger agenda of the two ($287.0 billion vs. $218.2 billion).

Defense-related spending items received the highest proposed spending increases among Republican candidates. Huckabee and Romney, for example, offered $67.2 billion and $40.6 billion, respectively. Among Democrats, Clinton's biggest boost goes toward health care ($113.6 billion) and Obama's for economy, transportation, and infrastructure ($105.0 billion).

Two of the eight candidates proposed sufficient spending cuts that more than offset their new spending plans: Rudy Giuliani (-$1.4 billion) and Ron Paul (-$150.1 billion).
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Study: Presidential Frontrunners Would Boost Federal Budget Empty Re: Study: Presidential Frontrunners Would Boost Federal Budget

Post by SamCogar Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:18 am

Stephanie, the above “study” matches pretty closely to my results from the “Vote Chooser” string, ……. which actually surprises me.

Steph, here are my results from the quiz in the “Vote Chooser” string.

SamCogar wrote:Oh my ....................

1. Mitt Romney 9 1
2. Mike Huckabee 8 2
2. Rudy Giuliani 8 2
3. John McCain 5 5
3. Ron Paul 5 5
4. Hillary Clinton 4 6
5. Barack Obama 3 7
6. John Edwards 2 8

Now I answered the questions honestly as to what I thought/preferred ……. and the only reason Ron Paul placed 3rd. was due to the questions on “foreign affairs”.

And here are the results from the above study:

Spending Cuts
Ron Paul - -$150.1 billion
Rudy Giuliani - -$1.4 billion

Significantly Larger Spending Increases
Barack Obama - $287.0 billion
Hillary Clinton - $218.2 billion
Mike Huckabee - $54.2 billion
Mitt Romney - $19.5 billion
John McCain - $6.9 billion

Specific Spending Increases
Romney - defense - $40.6 billion
Huckabee - defense - $67.2 billion
Obama – economic - $105.0 billion
Clinton - health care - $113.6 billion

Steph, did you note the difference between the Significant and Specific Spending Increases ........ attributed to Romney and Huckabee?

The Specifics are greater than the totals of the Significant Largers, ..... so the question is ..... "What are they cutting?". Razz Razz

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Study: Presidential Frontrunners Would Boost Federal Budget Empty Re: Study: Presidential Frontrunners Would Boost Federal Budget

Post by Stephanie Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:50 am

Sam,

If you follow that link, there are links to pdf files that explain how the NTU arrived at those figures. I didn't look at anyone other than Dr. Paul's. Perhaps I should. It probably would be telling. Smile
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:50 am

SamCogar wrote:Steph, did you note the difference between the Significant and Specific Spending Increases ........ attributed to Romney and Huckabee?

The Specifics are greater than the totals of the Significant Largers, ..... so the question is ..... "What are they cutting?". Razz Razz

Romney's proposals call for cutting .7 billion in health care and 25 billion in Misc programs with the biggest increase for national defense at 40 billion.

Huckabee's proposals call for eliminating 12 billion from econ., trans and infratsturcture with the major increase comeing in defense at 50 billion.

Obama has no cuts anywhere. affraid
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:04 am

I thought the Huckster wanted to spend billions on road projects? He spoke about it last night. Where's he going to take that money from?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:29 am

Stephanie wrote:I thought the Huckster wanted to spend billions on road projects? He spoke about it last night. Where's he going to take that money from?

I only watched about 15 minutes of it so I didn't see him talking about that. I did see him crying about it not being a 2 party race. There's just something about the way he talks that irks me. It's like he's always talking down to whoever he's talking to, like he's better or smarter then them. I'll be happy when he's done as well.

Back to the topic though, I went back and double checked. The anaylasis calls for a 12 billion cut.

National Taxpayers Union Foundation
Republican Presidential Primary Spending Analysis – Mike Huckabee
Total Annual Spending: $54.193 billion
Economy, Transportation, and Infrastructure: -$12.214 billion (savings)A. FairTax:
“I am running to completely eliminate all federal income and payroll taxes. And I do
mean all – personal federal, corporate federal, gift, estate, capital gains, alternative
minimum, Social Security, Medicare, self-employment. … [W]e will have the FairTax, a
simple tax based on wealth.”
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=Issues.View&Issue_id=5
Cost: -$12.214 billion (savings) (-$61.069 billion over five years).
Source: BillTally estimate for H.R. 25 (110th Congress): A bill to promote
freedom, fairness, and economic opportunity by repealing the income tax and
other taxes, abolishing the Internal Revenue Service, and enacting a national sales
tax to be administered primarily by the states.
Note: Estimate is based on several factors, including administrative savings from
eliminating the Internal Revenue Service and savings from the repeal of
refundable income tax credits (which have outlay effects).
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:58 am

I watched it. Even with them down to four CNN continues to limit Ron Paul's participation in debate. I wish I could say I was surprised.

Huckabee againg touted improving roads as a means of providing economic stimulus. Paraphrasing here....He said when in Flordia he called for the widening of I-95 from Bangor to Miami, but in California there were other road projects that would provide good jobs blah blah blah. Someone, either Mac or Mitt told him that wouldn't work quickly enough and so on. Ron Paul said the way to stimulate the economy was by cutting taxes, reducing the size of government, and decreasing regulations.

McCain and Romney cut into a heated argument about what Mitt meant and the timing of his statement about "timetables" in Iraq. For a brief time I actually thought they were going to duke it out. Paul told them they were being silly with technicalities about who said what when. I thought it was his best moment in the debate.

What irritated me the most about the debate was how they asked all the other candidates why they thought they had conservative credentials. I'm not sure how it was worded but they didn't ask Paul. When he tried to answer that question after answering the next question posed to him, Cooper promised him he'd have the chance to in a couple of questions. It never came.

Now I realize you, and some of the others, disagree with Paul's position on the war in Iraq and his foreign policy views. However, in comparison to the tax and spend, open borders, and views on a variety of social issues, Paul is clearly the only conservative of the group. There were other candidates with clear conservative principals (chiefly Thompson), but they have all dropped from the race.

I don't think wanting to increase federal spending by a few billion, or a dozen billion, or a few dozen billion dollars, as opposed to hundreds of billions like Hillary & Obama, classifies a candidate as conservative. Nor do I think that simply cutting taxes and reducing spending qualifies a candidate as conservative if they wish to further erode our civil liberties and aren't tough on illegal immigration etc.

In the end I think the most serious threat to our national security is our heavy debt. We are spending ourselves into oblivion and nobody else seems interested in tackeling that issue. We need to dig ourselves out of that debt if we desire strenght. Military strength isn't enough, we need economic strength as well. Of course we need to secure our ports and borders but again, I don't believe any of the others are actually all that concerned with securing the borders. They are simply telling people what they want to hear on the campaign trail.

Stephanie's $.02.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:49 pm

I agree with more of what Paul says then I disagree with. But what I agree with him over, Congress is going to have a say so in, i.e., spending and the economy (look at what the Senate did to the stimulus package) and what I vehemently disagree with him over, marching out of Iraq, he has complete control over. That is why I can't support him.

The 15 minutes I saw were when Mitt and McCain were spatting. I thought John was going to punch him with his thumb at one point. Very Happy
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:42 pm

You know I thought so too, Aaron! I got the feeling that if the cameras weren't rolling he might have.

The other thing I noticed was how "nice" McCain & Paul were to each other. After they had been introduced they had each other's ear etc. It also appeared to me McCain was the only one Paul had any use for. McCain have more in common on a personal level than the other two, I think. They both served in the military, both had personal relationships with President Reagan, both have lengthy careers as "maverick" Republicans.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:02 pm

Stephanie wrote:You know I thought so too, Aaron! I got the feeling that if the cameras weren't rolling he might have.

The other thing I noticed was how "nice" McCain & Paul were to each other. After they had been introduced they had each other's ear etc. It also appeared to me McCain was the only one Paul had any use for. McCain have more in common on a personal level than the other two, I think. They both served in the military, both had personal relationships with President Reagan, both have lengthy careers as "maverick" Republicans.

A possible VP???

I doubt it but politics do make strange bedfellows.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:47 pm

No way in Hell. I think they respect each other, which is probably more than either can say for the other two. I can't imagine a hawk like McCain tapping Paul for Veep. Perhaps, just maybe, some other position.......he's a doctor, Surgeon General? He's also an economics wonk so there is the Sec of Treas. too. They have served on Capitol Hill together for a very long time and I'm sure they know each other reasonably well. Prior to this campaign McCain was known to praise Paul highly on numerous occasions publicly on a variety of issues.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down