WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fatal Trajectory

+4
SamCogar
Stephanie
Aaron
Cato
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

A Fatal Trajectory - Page 2 Empty Re: A Fatal Trajectory

Post by Aaron Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:03 am

Solution for what? You'll have to be a little more specific. My reports are almost done and I'm about to head out to the plant for real work.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:33 am

Aaron wrote:Solution for what? You'll have to be a little more specific. My reports are almost done and I'm about to head out to the plant for real work.

Well I doing the samething, except I'm reading engineering proposals. That and sominex, man.

What I'm asking is how would you like to see trade restricted?

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:21 pm

I think the government, under the constitutionas part of our national defense, is required to protect citizens. I think we have a way of inspecting what is coming in this country and ensuring it is not harmful to our citizens in any manner.

I also believe we have a responsibility to ensure trade is fair and balanced and that we're not getting screwed like we currently are.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:02 pm

Aaron wrote:I think the government, under the constitutionas part of our national defense, is required to protect citizens. I think we have a way of inspecting what is coming in this country and ensuring it is not harmful to our citizens in any manner.

I also believe we have a responsibility to ensure trade is fair and balanced and that we're not getting screwed like we currently are.

Fair enough. I could live with this so long as trade is allowed with all nations.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:34 pm

Including with Cuba, Cato?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:14 pm

ziggy wrote:Including with Cuba, Cato?

Yes, Ziggy, including Cuba and Iran, and North Korea.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:20 am

Aaron wrote:Tainted dog food, lead in toy cars, our trade deficit with China.

A few examples right off the top of my head.

Aaron,

There is nothing in Dr. Paul's position on trade that would prevent the US government from preventing dangerous foreign products reaching consumers. Nowhere have I ever heard him call for a reduction in food or product safety standards. The US government as an obligation to protect the American people from tainted fish and toys with lead. Toys containing lead cannot be sold legally in this nation just as heroine can't be sold legally in this country.

I think you have a misunderstand of his position on this issue.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:54 am

There is nothing in Dr. Paul's position on trade that would prevent the US government from preventing dangerous foreign products reaching consumers.

I do not believe you all have the faintest conception of how many people you would need to inspect all of the cargo that comes into this country. USDA and customs have thousands of people doing inspections of cargo and can look at about 3% of incoming goods.

You would need a staff of millions.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:13 am

Then Dr. Paul doesn't support a non-interventionist policy, he supports an isolationist policy. That's what it is called.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:03 am

TerryRC wrote:There is nothing in Dr. Paul's position on trade that would prevent the US government from preventing dangerous foreign products reaching consumers.

I do not believe you all have the faintest conception of how many people you would need to inspect all of the cargo that comes into this country. USDA and customs have thousands of people doing inspections of cargo and can look at about 3% of incoming goods.

You are right about that Terry.

People dont realize the enormity of the task.

Plus it seems like what they are doing now is designed more to create as big a bottleneck as possible.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:33 am

TerryRC wrote:There is nothing in Dr. Paul's position on trade that would prevent the US government from preventing dangerous foreign products reaching consumers.

Terry,

This is a beast of our government's own creation. These so-called "free trade" policies are not free trade at all. They provide an unfair advantage in many cases to products manufactured using inferior materials off the sweat of exploited workers.

When a trade agreement is brokered that allows a nation like China to subsidize an entire industry for a couple of years and then flood the US market with this cheap product, this is the result. The US manufacturers simply cannot compete and go under. Now we have no options but to by these products from China........the government subsidies end, the quality plummets, the price increases, and inspectors can't keep up. Don't blame the free market folks. The free market didn't exist, it was an illusion at best.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:49 am

Stephanie you might be interested in the link I posted on the other thread.

Pat Buchanan has done a lot of research on what you just said.

Course lots of us non-experts have been saying that for years, haven't we?

Could the Bush folks not see that?

Surely they didnt lead us down this road on purpose did they?

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:00 am

Sherm,

Why is it always "the Bush folks" with you. Bush screwed us because he carried on Clinton's trade policies. He took Clinton's NAFTA and ran with it, expanding upon it, for example.

These people are not interested in what's best for our nation or her citizens. They are interested in their own personal wealth and power and party affiliation has little to do with it.

The folks who do actually give a rat's arse about what's best for the nation, who care about our liberty and our soveriegnty and other such nicities are marginalized and treated with scorn. Think Ron Paul. Think Dennis Kucinich. Look how these men have been treated by those in power within their own parties.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:38 am

Think Ron Paul. Think Dennis Kucinich. Look how these men have been treated by those in power within their own parties.

Sherman doesn't think or give a crap about anything other than ..... Democrat Power.

He is like the Johnny Cash song says,

He owes his soul to the DNC.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:38 pm

Well it appears you did not read the source:

"Say what you will, the Bush years were boom times for Big Government.
And the private sector? Beginning and ending in recession, the Bush presidency added a net of 407,000 private sector jobs over eight years, less than 51,000 a year, the worst eight-year record since 1927-35, which includes the first six years of the Great Depression.

By January 2009, the average workweek had fallen to 33.3 hours, the lowest since record keeping began in 1964.

From Jan. 31, 2001, through Jan. 31, 2009, 4.4 million manufacturing jobs, 26 percent of all of the manufacturing jobs in the United States, disappeared.

Semiconductors and electronic component producers lost 42 percent of their jobs. Communications equipment producers lost 48 percent of their jobs. Textile and apparel producers lost, respectively, 63 percent and 61 percent of their jobs.

As a source of American jobs, manufacturing, for the first time in our history, fell below health care and education in 2001, below retail sales in 2002, below local government in 2006, below leisure and hospitality, i.e., restaurants and bars, in 2008.

Between this unprecedented loss in manufacturing capacity and jobs, and the $3.5 trillion in trade deficits in manufactured goods alone, run up by George W. Bush, the correlation is absolute."

Like I said earlier, I used a rightwing source so as not to appear in any political.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Yeah, and three months ago you were delivering daily reports on the stock market. What happened there? The only economic stimulus Obama has effected is an increase in gun sales.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:11 pm

I like free trade and I believe that the average American is more prosperous because of it.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Nothing bad to say about Pat Buchanan?

His words not mine.

I figured you guys would attack the messenger, that's why I used a rightwing source.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:19 pm

Pat Buchanan might be construed as right wing. He's protectionist. I don't have any use for him. I hope you consider me right wing.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:30 pm

This is a beast of our government's own creation. These so-called "free trade" policies are not free trade at all. They provide an unfair advantage in many cases to products manufactured using inferior materials off the sweat of exploited workers.

That doesn't change the fact.

Even in the days of wooden sailing ships, this was a problem. How else did smuggling become and stay such a big business?

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:41 pm

Well OC you are hard to label.

What do you think of the John Birchers?

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:18 pm

About what you do - they're on the fringe. Conspiracy buffs. They might be onto something with the UN.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:11 am

TerryRC wrote:

That doesn't change the fact.

Even in the days of wooden sailing ships, this was a problem. How else did smuggling become and stay such a big business?

Terry,

I would suggest securing our ports and borders. What is your solution?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:14 am

Well Steph what specifically would you do different to "secure our ports"?

Also am I right in figuring you favor "protecting our borders" by building some sort of wall or fence?

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:19 am

Sherm,

I don't know what to say to you about Pat Buchanan. You consider him a right winger. You consider me a right winger. Whatever.

My opinion of him isn't as low as my opinion of Sean Hannity. I think he's very intelligent. Those are the good things I have to say about him. I don't care for him.

Some of these people you try to foist upon me as sharing my political views I find amusing, at least in limited doses. Bill O'Reilly & that woman with the really long neck who says such outrageous things come to mind. I can't even think of her name. You know who I mean......she has authored a few books and appears on Fox all the time. At least they are sometimes funny. Pat doesn't even have a decent sense of humor.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next