WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A "smart grid" is not a larger grid

4 posters

Go down

A "smart grid" is not a larger grid Empty A "smart grid" is not a larger grid

Post by ziggy Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:06 am

Another component of President Obama’s clean energy vision is the creation of a smarter power grid. But that has little to do with high capacity transmission lines that carry electricity in bulk over hundreds of miles. Building a “smart grid” means upgrading the local grid from a simple delivery system to an information system that can let consumers know the times when power is cheapest, thus enabling them to adjust their use to save money. This flattens out electricity loads and minimizes periods of peak demand. Smart grids will also be able to identify and fix power failures instantly, and someday may even send signals to specific household appliances like thermostats, washing machines and refrigerators to switch them on when demand is low or turn them off during times of peak energy use.

Renewable energy resources are found all across the country; they don’t need to be harnessed from just one place. In the Northwest, the largest amount of green power comes from hydroelectricity. In the Northeast, the best source may be the wind over the ocean, because it blows harder and more consistently there than on land. Offshore wind farms have been proposed for Delaware, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Rhode Island. In the Southwest, solar energy can be tapped on a large scale. And in the Southeast, biomass from forests may one day be a major source of sustainable power.

And of course, the longer the power line, the more expensive it is to build. In New England, we estimate the cost per mile at $2 million to $10 million. The closer electricity is generated to where it’s used, the better.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/07/opinion/07bowles.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

In each area, developing these power sources would smarter than piping in so-called "clean" energy from thousands of miles away.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

A "smart grid" is not a larger grid Empty Re: A "smart grid" is not a larger grid

Post by SamCogar Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:17 am

And of course, the longer the power line, the more expensive it is to build. In New England, we estimate the cost per mile at $2 million to $10 million. The closer electricity is generated to where it’s used, the better.

And that is why it is silly to think of building anything new ...... other than small nuclear generators that serve a small "grid" of users.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

A "smart grid" is not a larger grid Empty Re: A "smart grid" is not a larger grid

Post by Stephanie Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:59 pm

Not in anybody's backyard, Sammy. Except mine. If they'll supply my family with energy for free and pay us a percentage of the profits we'll happy allow them to construct one on the 20 acres we own in Mason County. We'll use the profits to build there and I'll happily live with it in my backyard.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:47 am

Steph, 20 acres would not be needed.

Probably a 20' square area would be sufficient ...... and it would not look much different than some of those small sub-stations with big ole transformers sitting on the ground with page-wire fencing around them.

All of our Navy's submarines and Aircraft Carriers have one of them, .... ya know, ..... and all of those GE's live right in the "backyard" in close proximately to it.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:42 am

I know that, Sammy. I wish I knew how to persuade them to put one on that property. I'd be very pleased if they did.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:12 am

Well Steph dont you still have that link you posted on those little portable nuclear plants?

(But you would prolly have to get some kind of permit or paperwork.)

What with the Democrats in office and all... Shocked

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down