WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are what you are nurtured to be, ... depressed.

4 posters

Go down

You are what you are nurtured to be, ... depressed. Empty You are what you are nurtured to be, ... depressed.

Post by SamCogar Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:39 am

NEW YORK - A new study provides strong evidence that being bullied can cause children to develop depression and anxiety.

Among identical twin pairs in which one experienced bullying between the ages of 7 and 9 and the other did not, the bullied twin was significantly more likely to have symptoms of internalizing problems at age 10, Dr. Louise Arsenault of King’s College, London, and her colleagues found.

Internalizing problems are psychological problems in which negativity is directed inward toward the self, such as depression, as opposed to outwardly, such as conduct disorder.

This research “really supports the assumption or the belief that being bullied is bad for children’s health,” Arsenault told Reuters Health. And the fact that children were having these symptoms, which include frequent crying, fear of being alone, and stomach aches — at such a young age strongly suggests that they need help, she added.

Bullied children are known to be more likely to have anxiety, depression and thoughts of suicide, as well as to experience social isolation, Arsenault and her team note in their report.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23035686/

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

You are what you are nurtured to be, ... depressed. Empty Re: You are what you are nurtured to be, ... depressed.

Post by TerryRC Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:18 am

NEW YORK - A new study provides strong evidence that being bullied can cause children to develop depression and anxiety.

Also in today's news - water is wet and the sky is blue...

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

You are what you are nurtured to be, ... depressed. Empty Re: You are what you are nurtured to be, ... depressed.

Post by SamCogar Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:36 am

And some bullied students take a gun to school and reap their revenge.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:44 am

And some bullied students take a gun to school and reap their revenge.

Bullies existed when I was in school and many households had guns. Nobody got shot up. What has changed?

I think it has to do with parents that don't pay attention to their kids. That is worse than ANY bully.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:35 am

TerryRC wrote:And some bullied students take a gun to school and reap their revenge.

Bullies existed when I was in school and many households had guns. Nobody got shot up. What has changed?

I think it has to do with parents that don't pay attention to their kids. That is worse than ANY bully.

Personally, I believe the parents/society has made "wussies" out of the kids and they don't know how or have the means "to handle it".

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:22 am

Personally, I believe the parents/society has made "wussies" out of the kids and they don't know how or have the means "to handle it".

Quite possibly. My father's answer to my bully problem was to teach me to box.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:34 am

Well, this father had a different answer, ..... but he gave it ..... two years ...... too late.

DeRemus, a sophomore at Gardner Edgerton High School, attended school Monday and was found dead about 5 p.m. near his home. His death was ruled a homicide after an autopsy determined that DeRemus had a heart condition.

When Johnson County Magistrate Judge Michael Farley ordered Howard to remain in the detention center, DeRemus' father, Scott DeRemus, yelled at Howard's mother and stepfather: "Two years! Two years your son has been bullying my son."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,329827,00.html

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:12 am

Now that was a really sad story, Sam.

I don't understand why adults allow children to be bullied. I have always taught my children to defend themselves, that they can't let anybody push them around because it won't ever end. I've also let them know if I ever find out they've been bullying anybody they would face very severe consequences from me.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:49 am

Hell, adults don't allow kids to play tag now a days out of fear of damaging their delegate egos or afraid someone might get hurt. We're raising a generation of scaredy cats who are going to be afraid of their own shadow. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down