WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When Government Plays Doctor

4 posters

Go down

When Government Plays Doctor Empty When Government Plays Doctor

Post by Stephanie Mon May 04, 2009 3:29 pm

This week, concerns about swine flu have dominated the media and many government officials. While the American people should be made aware of infectious diseases and common sense preventative measures, much of the hysterical reaction from government only serves to remind us how detrimental to your health it can be when government plays doctor.

As a physician, I have yet to see any evidence that justifies the current level of alarm. Influenza typically kills around 36,000 people every year in this country and hospitalizes a couple hundred thousand. So far there are only a handful of confirmed deaths attributable to this strain, and most of those sickened have or will fully recover. Every death is tragic, but I see no reason to deal with this flu outbreak any differently than we typically deal with any other flu season. Instead, government in its infinite wisdom is performing even more invasive screening at airports, closing down schools and sporting events, and causing general panic.

We had a similar outbreak in 1976, with only 1 death from the flu, but mandatory vaccinations killed at least 25 before the program was abandoned.

When government gets involved in healthcare decisions, the cure is so often worse than the illness. And yet, this administration will likely consolidate the government’s power over your health with sweeping new reforms that are already being discussed in the Senate.

Government has not improved healthcare, and has not made it cheaper. Quite the opposite; costs have skyrocketed, and quality has gone down in many ways. Gone are the days of the country doctor making house calls, or of voluntarily giving away medical services at charity hospitals. The bureaucratization of healthcare these past 45 years has made things worse. It saddens me as a doctor that physicians are less and less accountable to patients, but more and more accountable to government red tape, insurance companies and attorneys. It seems so perverse to me that important medical decisions that will directly affect the lives of all or nearly all Americans are being hashed out behind closed doors in Washington rather than between doctors and patients.

There is perhaps nothing more valuable to a human being than his or her health, which is why I’ve always considered the practice of medicine so crucial to our well-being. Any intrusion by government into the privacy and trust between doctor and patient is detrimental to the art of medicine. It distorts the whole dynamic of who the client really is when doctors must answer more to government or insurance companies than to their patients. The best solutions to improving quality and lowering costs of healthcare would be measures that put decisions back into the hands of patients and doctors, where they rightfully belong. I have introduced HR 1495 The Comprehensive Healthcare Reform Act, which promotes health savings accounts and tax deductibility of healthcare costs as an important step in this direction.

The unfortunate reality of this recent health crisis, as with any crisis, is that it presents opportunities that the unscrupulous will take advantage of, while the fearful become more compliant.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

When Government Plays Doctor Empty Re: When Government Plays Doctor

Post by Cato Mon May 04, 2009 6:30 pm

One of the people work with and I were discussing the swine flu. I was asked if I was concerned about it and they explained they were scared. I told them it was foolish to be even remotely concerned. First, there was less than 100 cases in the US at the time we were talking and of those only oine death had been reproted. I then showed them the number of deaths that result from the flu each year. They were really shoked by what I showed them. They then went merily back to their office nearly as unconcerned as I am.

It isn't the least bit funny the damage and fear a biased media and the criminals in Washington can cause. In fact, it is immoral. But then what can you expect from trach like Obama, Biden and the 532 stooges.

Cato

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Mon May 04, 2009 10:11 pm

If one thinks that medical care and cost is bad now--wait until big brother rations it and makes it free.
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue May 05, 2009 7:06 am

YUP, I can see it now.

Every current illness now, and a 100 newly diagnosed ones, will be labeled at "pandemic proportions" .......... and the graft and corruption that will surely arise for treatment and prevention of each one of them ...... will make the current estimated amount$ of fraud associated with Medicare and Medicaid seem like a single drop of water in a bucketfull.

When Government Plays Doctor 33948 When Government Plays Doctor 33948 When Government Plays Doctor 33948 When Government Plays Doctor 33948

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed May 06, 2009 9:26 am

They are doing their very best to frighten us all into submission. That's what this is all about. Shame on them.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down