WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benefits denied to girl conceived with dead father's sperm

2 posters

Go down

Benefits denied to girl conceived with dead father's sperm Empty Benefits denied to girl conceived with dead father's sperm

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:56 am

Benefits denied to girl conceived with dead father's sperm
latimes | June 18, 2009 | Nicole Santa Cruz

A U.S. appeals court says the Los Angeles 10-year-old is not entitled to Social Security survivor payments because of California inheritance law and lack of evidence the father gave consent. A 10-year-old Los Angeles girl conceived with her dead father's frozen sperm is not entitled to his Social Security benefits, a federal appeals court panel has ruled.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Wednesday upheld a lower-court ruling that the child, Brandalynn Vernoff, was ineligible for the federal survivor payments under California law, which considers factors in addition to biology in determining inheritance rights. Brandalynn's father, Bruce Vernoff, died accidentally in July 1995.

Thirty hours after his death, his wife, Gabriela Vernoff, had a doctor extract his sperm and freeze it. She was impregnated with it in 1998 and gave birth to Brandalynn in 1999, said Wally Vernoff, Bruce Vernoff's father and an attorney representing the widow. She sought survivor benefits for her daughter from the Social Security Administration, but was rejected. Her claim was also turned away in U.S. District Court.

Okay... But, what if her father had been an illegal alien?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Benefits denied to girl conceived with dead father's sperm Empty Re: Benefits denied to girl conceived with dead father's sperm

Post by Stephanie Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:33 am

I don't understand how or why California law impacts federal survivor payments.

I'm not disagreeing with the ruling......Brandalynn's mother made the decision to have a child as a single parent and needs to accept the consequences of that decision. However, it sounds to me like had this taken place in another state the results might be different so I don't get it.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down