WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earth's upper atmosphere cooling dramatically

2 posters

Go down

Earth's upper atmosphere cooling dramatically Empty Earth's upper atmosphere cooling dramatically

Post by SamCogar Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:24 am

New observations may help detect changes from carbon dioxide increases

When the sun is relatively inactive — as it has been in recent years — the outermost layer of Earth's atmosphere cools dramatically, new observations find.

The results could help scientists better understand affraid the swelling and shrinking of our planet's atmosphere, a phenomenon that affects the orbits of satellites and space junk.

Knowing just how the energy flowing out from the sun naturally impacts the state of the thermosphere also will help scientists test predictions that man's emissions of carbon dioxide should cool this layer. (While that may seem to contradict the idea of global warming, it has long been known that carbon dioxide causes warming in the lowest part of the atmosphere and cooling in the upper layers of the atmosphere.)

The sun has been in a particularly prolonged and deep solar minimum for the last couple of years, with fewer sunspots and solar storms erupting on its surface. When the sun is in this state, it also sends less energy out in the soft X-ray and extreme ultraviolet parts of its spectrum. These wavelengths of light have a significant impact on the thermosphere, where air molecules absorb their energy and the reradiate it in the form of infrared energy.

The TIMED mission measured both the amount of incoming solar energy in the thermosphere and the amount of energy being sent back out into space from the layer and found a significant decrease in both.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34479085/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Now that you read that ....... would you explain it to me.

Otherwise I will just chalk it up as another AGW'ers CYA to explain why they are continuing to claim the earth is warming ..... after having to admit there is less Solar energy striking the earth.

lol!

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Earth's upper atmosphere cooling dramatically Empty Re: Earth's upper atmosphere cooling dramatically

Post by Keli Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:23 am

SamCogar wrote:
New observations may help detect changes from carbon dioxide increases

When the sun is relatively inactive — as it has been in recent years — the outermost layer of Earth's atmosphere cools dramatically, new observations find.

The results could help scientists better understand affraid the swelling and shrinking of our planet's atmosphere, a phenomenon that affects the orbits of satellites and space junk.

Knowing just how the energy flowing out from the sun naturally impacts the state of the thermosphere also will help scientists test predictions that man's emissions of carbon dioxide should cool this layer. (While that may seem to contradict the idea of global warming, it has long been known that carbon dioxide causes warming in the lowest part of the atmosphere and cooling in the upper layers of the atmosphere.)

The sun has been in a particularly prolonged and deep solar minimum for the last couple of years, with fewer sunspots and solar storms erupting on its surface. When the sun is in this state, it also sends less energy out in the soft X-ray and extreme ultraviolet parts of its spectrum. These wavelengths of light have a significant impact on the thermosphere, where air molecules absorb their energy and the reradiate it in the form of infrared energy.

The TIMED mission measured both the amount of incoming solar energy in the thermosphere and the amount of energy being sent back out into space from the layer and found a significant decrease in both.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34479085/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Now that you read that ....... would you explain it to me.

Otherwise I will just chalk it up as another AGW'ers CYA to explain why they are continuing to claim the earth is warming ..... after having to admit there is less Solar energy striking the earth.

lol!

Sam,
I think that even I can explain this: It gets dark at night.

Keli
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down