WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strawberries, citrus, Actinopterygii and AGWers get chilled.

4 posters

Go down

Strawberries, citrus, Actinopterygii and AGWers get chilled. Empty Strawberries, citrus, Actinopterygii and AGWers get chilled.

Post by SamCogar Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:04 am

MIAMI — Freakish cold weather continued to grip the southern United States, with snow flurries spotted around Orlando and a record low set for Miami, and forecasters said Sunday that more of the same was expected.

About 100,000 tropical fish being raised on a fish farm in South Florida couldn't bear the cold. Michael Breen, 43, who owns Breen Acres Aquatics in the small town of Loxahatchee Groves just north of Miami, said temperatures dropped below freezing overnight, leaving ice on his 76 ponds.

The ponds should be green because of algae bloom that feeds baby fish, he said.

"But all the ponds are crystal clear and fish are laying on the bottom. What we see on the surface died two days ago," he said, referring to the dead fish found floating Sunday morning.

Breen estimated he lost $535,000 in business because of the cold.

The National Weather Service issued a hard freeze warning for South Florida from Sunday night to Monday morning. A freeze watch will continue through Tuesday. Northern Florida residents will feel temperatures drop to the lower 20s and mid-teens.

On Saturday night, a temperature of 35 degrees set a record that had stood since 1970, said Joel Rothfuss with the National Weather Service in Miami.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582725,00.html

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Strawberries, citrus, Actinopterygii and AGWers get chilled. Empty Re: Strawberries, citrus, Actinopterygii and AGWers get chilled.

Post by Cato Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:05 pm

I still have about 6 inches of global warming in my back yard, if anyone is interested.

Cato

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Strawberries, citrus, Actinopterygii and AGWers get chilled. Empty Re: Strawberries, citrus, Actinopterygii and AGWers get chilled.

Post by TerryRC Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:42 am

Yet last winter almost didn't exist in this region.

The Pacific Northwest had a string of days above 100 degrees F.

My anecdotal evidence is as good as yours!

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:30 am

TerryRC wrote:The Pacific Northwest had a string of days above 100 degrees F.

YUP, it will do that bout everytime the Jet Stream over the Pacific Northwest moves up over the southern part of Alaska and British Columbia, .... like so.

Weather: jet stream - Monday, 28 April 2008

Strawberries, citrus, Actinopterygii and AGWers get chilled. Weather-2008-04-28-currentfronts

It sucks that warm air right up there with it.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 am

TerryRC wrote:Yet last winter almost didn't exist in this region.

The Pacific Northwest had a string of days above 100 degrees F.

My anecdotal evidence is as good as yours!

My anecdotal evidence proves there was plenty of winter in this region last year.

In December, what was supposed to be flurries turned into a storm preventing me and the kids from making it home. The roads were treacherous and, rather than getting killed trying to get back from Charleston, Char took us in for several hours until the roads were clear enough to travel.

Several weeks later an ice storm knocked out power here on Mt. Crumpet. NO WAY we could get off the ridge, so we stayed without power (meaning no heat or water) for 3 days until we could. Once again Char and her family took us in, this time for a couple of days until our power was restored.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down