WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calif. church bookkeeper charged with stealing $2M

2 posters

Go down

Calif. church bookkeeper charged with stealing $2M  Empty Calif. church bookkeeper charged with stealing $2M

Post by SamCogar Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:12 am

A former bookkeeper is facing charges of stealing at least $2.1 million from the California church where she worked for 13 years.

The Fresno Bee reports that Sandra Arreola, of Palm Desert, pleaded not guilty Friday to charges of embezzlement and money laundering. Arreola turned herself in on Thursday morning following a two-year audit by the Visalia First Assembly of God church and an investigation by local police.

Visalia police Detective Kevin Kroeze told the Visalia Times-Delta that the 51-year-old Arreola is suspected of spending cash collected from tithes and offerings on properties, bills, vacations and clothing. She is being held on $1 million bail.

The church where she worked is one of Visalia's largest, drawing about 3,500 people to weekend services.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/17/calif-church-bookkeeper-charged-stealing-m/?test=latestnews

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Calif. church bookkeeper charged with stealing $2M  Empty Re: Calif. church bookkeeper charged with stealing $2M

Post by Keli Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:07 pm

SamCogar wrote:
A former bookkeeper is facing charges of stealing at least $2.1 million from the California church where she worked for 13 years.

The Fresno Bee reports that Sandra Arreola, of Palm Desert, pleaded not guilty Friday to charges of embezzlement and money laundering. Arreola turned herself in on Thursday morning following a two-year audit by the Visalia First Assembly of God church and an investigation by local police.

Visalia police Detective Kevin Kroeze told the Visalia Times-Delta that the 51-year-old Arreola is suspected of spending cash collected from tithes and offerings on properties, bills, vacations and clothing. She is being held on $1 million bail.

The church where she worked is one of Visalia's largest, drawing about 3,500 people to weekend services.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/17/calif-church-bookkeeper-charged-stealing-m/?test=latestnews

Is that where you pay your tithes and offerings, Sam?
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River

Back to top Go down

Calif. church bookkeeper charged with stealing $2M  Empty Re: Calif. church bookkeeper charged with stealing $2M

Post by SamCogar Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:01 am

NO, ........ I invest my money in the Bank, ...... so that I can get it back out of there whenever I want it.

$2.1 million is a lotta moolah to be "peeing down the drain", even though it wasn't paying the tithers any interest.

I don't know why people keep on paying more n' more tithes and offerings just to be building a bigger n' bigger and better n' fancier edifice for their Minister to call his own ....... and for themselves to go there once or twice a week so they can listen to their Minister tell them what a great and glorious sacrifice they have made in furnishing him/her such a nice place for him/her to tell them about all the other good things they need to be helping him/her with.

Now if those edifices sanctioned "tailgate parties" then I might reconsider.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:45 pm

SamCogar wrote:NO, ........ I invest my money in the Bank, ...... so that I can get it back out of there whenever I want it.

$2.1 million is a lotta moolah to be "peeing down the drain", even though it wasn't paying the tithers any interest.

I don't know why people keep on paying more n' more tithes and offerings just to be building a bigger n' bigger and better n' fancier edifice for their Minister to call his own ....... and for themselves to go there once or twice a week so they can listen to their Minister tell them what a great and glorious sacrifice they have made in furnishing him/her such a nice place for him/her to tell them about all the other good things they need to be helping him/her with.

Now if those edifices sanctioned "tailgate parties" then I might reconsider.

Sam,
This is a serious question. I am not asking you because I think that you might know the answer from any personal experience. Concerning bail/bond, if a person is in jail on a $100,000 bond, then someone (a friend or family member) has to put a security bond for that whole amount to insure that the criminal shows up for trial. After trial that whole amount is returned to the person who posted it. Right? However, if a person goes through a bail/bondsman then they pay him or her 10% (or a thousand dollars) to the bail/bondsman. This is non-refundable. Right? If the person fails to show up for court, then the bail/bondman is out $100,000. Right?
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:07 am

TH, me thinks a friend or family member has to put up whatever amount the Judge says, be it 10% or 100% of the Bond.

If one employs a bail bondsman then they pay him or her a percentage of the Bond but I don't think its a fixed percentage but WV Code states a max percent they can charge. And RIGHT, their fee is non-refundable , .... just like a Lawyer's fee, only the collateral you put up is refundable,

See: WEST VIRGINIA CODE CHAPTER 51. COURTS AND THEIR OFFICERS.
ARTICLE 10. PROFESSIONAL BONDSMEN IN CRIMINAL CASES.
§ 51-10-8 Qualifications of bondsmen
West Virginia Code = http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/Code.cfm

Or, read what a bondsman rep says:

http://www.bail.com/West-Virginia/ Bail.com offers bail bonds in West Virginia. We provide a service never before seen in the bail bond industry. We are a free bail bond referral service referring to bail bondsman nationwide. Our West Virginia bail agents offer the lowest rates available by law.

The Bail Bond Process: (2 of the listed7)

6. Court Appearances
When the defendant is being released from jail he will receive a court date. The bail bond you have obtained for his release is valid throughout the entire court case. Some times if the case goes on longer than 1 year you may be subject to a renewal premium. As long as the defendant makes all of his court appearances when he is required to, the premium you already paid is all you ever pay. If the defendant misses a court date you may be subject to paying the entire amount of the bond immediately. Or you may have to pay the bail bond companies expenses in order for the company to get their bail bond exonerated.

7. Sentencing and Bond Exoneration
Upon sentencing, whether innocent or guilty or if the charges were dropped the court will exonerate the bail bond. This means, as far as the bail bond company is concerned everything is over with. At this point you should call the bail company and let them know the case is over. If you used collateral to secure the bail bond this is when you would get it back.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down