WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A peer review of peer reviewed literature.

2 posters

Go down

A peer review of peer reviewed literature. Empty A peer review of peer reviewed literature.

Post by SamCogar Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:25 am

"Our Virginia: Past and Present," is the textbook being used for the teaching of history in some Virginia classrooms and the one which Virginia officials ordered a review of after The Washington Post reported in October that it was laced with errors.

Are any of West Virginia's Textbooks this bad?

The unusual review process involved five professional scholars. The results, said three of those involved in the process, proved disturbing. Some submitted lists of errors that ran several pages long. State officials plan to meet Jan. 10 to review the historians' concerns.

"I absolutely could not believe the number of mistakes - wrong dates and wrong facts everywhere. How in the world did these books get approved?" said Ronald Heinemann, a former history professor at Hampden-Sydney College. He reviewed "Our Virginia: Past and Present."

In his recommendation to the state, Heinemann wrote, "This book should be withdrawn from the classroom immediately, or at least by the end of the year."

http://www.dailymail.com/News/NationandWorld/201012291024

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

A peer review of peer reviewed literature. Empty Re: A peer review of peer reviewed literature.

Post by Cato Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:23 am

Yep!!! As I have said here and spoke about recently, the education system we have today is an indoctrination system. Real education is about the last thing on the mind of the state, teachers unions, and local administrations.

Cato

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down