WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will GOP cave on debt deal?

4 posters

Go down

Will GOP cave on debt deal? Empty Will GOP cave on debt deal?

Post by Aaron Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:19 pm

I agree with Bill Kristol in that they will cave lack a bag full of rocks. I don't think anyone in the GOP has the backbone to stand for the American people.

Last November, some predicted this would be the end of the Obama agenda as we knew it when the country pushed against big government. With one of the major skirmishes underway over the federal government’s debt limit, however, Weekly Standard Editor Bill Kristol said the GOP is on verge of throwing in the towel.

On Thursday’s “Special Report” on the Fox News Channel, Kristol said the Republicans were going to give in and agree to the terms set forth by the Obama administration.

“It sounds as if it’s heading towards a deal,” Kristol said. “It’s not a deal that I’m going to like I suspect, and think I it’s going to be a bad deal for conservatives and Republicans but I think they’re intimidated,” Kristol said. “The president has been running around talking about corporate jets and the rich, and how the sky is going to fall unless Republicans cave. And I think they’re getting ready to cave in a pretty big way on Sunday.”

Basing it on what Republicans leaders have said publicly, Kristol forecast that defense spending cuts, tax increases and other cuts would be dressed up to be more than they really are in the end. And that would lead to a conservative revolt against Republicans.

“So great, we have a Republican House, and they are going to agree to the huge defense cuts, tax increases, phony spending cuts and increased debt,” Kristol said. “I think there will be a huge rebellion among conservatives in the country if Republicans sign on to this deal.”

source
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Will GOP cave on debt deal? Empty Re: Will GOP cave on debt deal?

Post by Stephanie Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:43 pm

I certainly hope you're wrong.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:57 pm

That's two of us but I'll be shocked if I am. Republicans have proven that they're willing to trade tit for tat and I fear they will do the same thing again. If there is a reduction, it will be like the last one, accounting tricks, smoke and mirrors and in the end, will not reduce the deficit.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:04 am

In light of the fact they just passed a defense spending bill that includes a $17 billion increase, I'm sure you're correct. Sad
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:33 am

Aaron wrote:I agree with Bill Kristol in that they will cave lack a bag full of rocks. I don't think anyone in the GOP has the backbone to stand for the American people.

Last November, some predicted this would be the end of the Obama agenda as we knew it when the country pushed against big government. With one of the major skirmishes underway over the federal government’s debt limit, however, Weekly Standard Editor Bill Kristol said the GOP is on verge of throwing in the towel.

On Thursday’s “Special Report” on the Fox News Channel, Kristol said the Republicans were going to give in and agree to the terms set forth by the Obama administration.

“It sounds as if it’s heading towards a deal,” Kristol said. “It’s not a deal that I’m going to like I suspect, and think I it’s going to be a bad deal for conservatives and Republicans but I think they’re intimidated,” Kristol said. “The president has been running around talking about corporate jets and the rich, and how the sky is going to fall unless Republicans cave. And I think they’re getting ready to cave in a pretty big way on Sunday.”

Basing it on what Republicans leaders have said publicly, Kristol forecast that defense spending cuts, tax increases and other cuts would be dressed up to be more than they really are in the end. And that would lead to a conservative revolt against Republicans.

“So great, we have a Republican House, and they are going to agree to the huge defense cuts, tax increases, phony spending cuts and increased debt,” Kristol said. “I think there will be a huge rebellion among conservatives in the country if Republicans sign on to this deal.”

source

We are already starting to see it happen! Sad, indeed sad.

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:37 pm

On the day you posted this I agreed with you. As I write this republicans are on their way to the White House for the thrid time in three days. While Obama has the MSM wrapped firmly and is, therefore, able to frame the debate for most of the country, Boehner is making his points and McConnell is holding firm. Boehner even quoted Marco Rubio yesterday on "we don't need tax increases we need more taxpayers..." Cantor said republicans already made their only concession by showing up at the talks. McConnell said that a deal might be impossible as long as Obama remains in the White House. I'll concede that I'm probably a fool for holding out some hope...
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:31 pm

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

I'm sorry to say I believe Boehner & Co. will cave and it will be their political undoing. What point is there in the GOP having control of the House if they refuse to control the spending!

I'm feeling particularly bleak due to the frenzied feeding on their own in the GOP atm.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Of all the treacherous, back-stabbing, lowlife scum slithering around Washington Mitch "The Weasel" McConnell is the most loathsome.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Stephanie wrote:Of all the treacherous, back-stabbing, lowlife scum slithering around Washington Mitch "The Weasel" McConnell is the most loathsome.

The Constitution states that spending has to originate in Congress. While I only skimmed through the article, I have to wonder if this would be constitutional.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down