WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A “Test” of their Yellow Badge of Courage

+4
Aaron
SheikBen
ziggy
SamCogar
8 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

A “Test” of their Yellow Badge of Courage - Page 5 Empty Re: A “Test” of their Yellow Badge of Courage

Post by Aaron Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:30 pm

ziggy wrote:Did Noam Chomsky and Daniel Elsburg and the hundreds of other informed and outspoken individuals come to understand the Vietnam War like Aaron does- and Ziggy is the only lone, ignorant soul who doesn't understand Vietnam like Aaron does?

Oh I don't know how those individuals understand it or not as I’ve never read anything they’ve said and I generally don’t try to speak for others without reading any comments by them.

I know that Ziggy's understanding is FUBAR but that's because Ziggy's way of thinking is FUBAR. Patience though. I'll keep teaching, Ziggy just has to open his mind and be willing to learn. That's the key.

Cheers. Very Happy
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

A “Test” of their Yellow Badge of Courage - Page 5 Empty Re: A “Test” of their Yellow Badge of Courage

Post by ziggy Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:52 pm

Aaron wrote:
ziggy wrote:
Aaron wrote:So why did Truman send 'advisors' in the first place?

I don't know. Why have we sent troops all over the world for 200 years whenever it suited someone or other's fancy?

Why didn't Truman just call 'em "military troops"? It would have been more honest- and more consistent with the American view that we can be the world's policeman wherever we want to be.

We haven't sent troops for 200 years. We combated pirates in the first and second Barbary wars off the coast of North Africa in the early 1800's and the Phillippines in 1899. Otherwise all combat in the 19th century was limited to the northern hemisphere.

It wasn't until the 20th century that we started sending troops all over the world, first to central America and the carribian and the to Europe and other places.

He sent advisors becasue the Peoples Republic of China was founded in 1949 and recognized by the Soviet Union. When China and then the Soviet Union recognized the the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, which was fighting the French for independence. Truman vowed to stop communism and thus he recognized the French Government in Vietnam and sent in advisors. He called them advisor because initially, that's all they did, advise.

Understand?

So when and by what authority did they stop being "advisors" and start being military troops?

I've read what you said just above several times over the years. So you haven't told us anything that probably most of us hadn't already read before. And it's not the complete story. We were "helping the French" maintain Vietnam as a French colony before there even was a Peoples Republic of China.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Aaron wrote:
ziggy wrote:Did Noam Chomsky and Daniel Elsburg and the hundreds of other informed and outspoken individuals come to understand the Vietnam War like Aaron does- and Ziggy is the only lone, ignorant soul who doesn't understand Vietnam like Aaron does?

Oh I don't know how those individuals understand it or not as I’ve never read anything they’ve said and I generally don’t try to speak for others without reading any comments by them.

So without knowing any of those or knowing the 50 percent of people who disagreed with Johnson's Vietnam War policy by 1968, you said:

(Aaron)- I don't claim to understand more then everyone else. Just you.

So no, it isn't "just" Ziggy. It's anyone who disagrees with you about it who doesn't "understand" it to your satisfaction.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:39 pm

Dude, do you want to learn or do you want to foucs on what the little pygmies in New Guiena knew or didn't know?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:52 pm

I'm willing to learn- if you have something to teach us.

But when you tell us that Gulf of Tonkin was just another day in what we call the decades long Vietnam War, then I doubt that you have much to teach us about it.

Gulf of Tonkion was a watershed event in that war. That you don't recognize that tells us only one thing- that you don't understand at all what the 1960s were about..
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:55 am

ziggy wrote:I'm willing to learn- if you have something to teach us.

But when you tell us that Gulf of Tonkin was just another day in what we call the decades long Vietnam War, then I doubt that you have much to teach us about it.

Gulf of Tonkion was a watershed event in that war. That you don't recognize that tells us only one thing- that you don't understand at all what the 1960s were about..

Maybe it's time you came out of the 60's Ziggy and into today.

Yes, the G.O.T was a turning point in history. I get that.

What you don't get is that conflict between communism and the US was going to occur somewhere, sometime. You're whole concept that had LBJ not lied about the GOT then everything would have been hunky dory is bunk. Whether it was a flare up in Korea or eastern Europe or the Middle East (do you know that Truman had nukes in the air and was willing to use them if the Soviets didn't vacate Iran) it was going to happen.

That's what you don't get.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:05 am

Those marines were not on military ships. They were on chartered ships and Germans routinely targeted private vessles because of FDR's land-lease act which moved supplies to England.

That doesn't change any of the facts I listed.

Umm... the deliberate targeting of American civilians (merchant marines) and/or vessels is an act of war in most people's books, Aaron.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:12 am

TerryRC wrote:Those marines were not on military ships. They were on chartered ships and Germans routinely targeted private vessles because of FDR's land-lease act which moved supplies to England.

That doesn't change any of the facts I listed.

Umm... the deliberate targeting of American civilians (merchant marines) and/or vessels is an act of war in most people's books, Aaron.

Most peoples books don't matter. The Geneva convention does and if those ships weren't under an American charter, it doesn't matter what the cargo or who the passengers are, it's not an act of war against the US.

Nice try though Lib. Very Happy
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:23 am

Most peoples books don't matter. The Geneva convention does and if those ships weren't under an American charter, it doesn't matter what the cargo or who the passengers are, it's not an act of war against the US.

Nice try though Lib.

Ah, I see you are trying to insult me. Running out of argument?

Nice non-answer, Fascist Pig.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:30 am

Iraq security forces fire 1,300 deserters

So how do we get victory out of a Iraqi civil war?

Do you think that this won't go on the moment we leave? Hell, it is going on now.

The only way to have victory in Iraq is to occupy it for the foreseeable future.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:21 am

TerryRC wrote:

Nice try though Lib.

Ah, I see you are trying to insult me. Running out of argument?

Nice non-answer, Fascist Pig.

How is it a non-answer Lib? If it is a PRIVATE charter ship, which it was, and it is flying a flag from another country, then it is NOT an act of war against the United States of America.

It's ironic though that both you and Steph cite this as an act of war but when German U-boats were sinking private ships bearing the US flag, you both said in the previous forum that the US we interfering in the internal business of another country by aiding England and thus Germany had a right to sink those ships.

So why is this different Lib?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:15 am

It's ironic though that both you and Steph cite this as an act of war but when German U-boats were sinking private ships bearing the US flag, you both said in the previous forum that the US we interfering in the internal business of another country by aiding England and thus Germany had a right to sink those ships.

I didn't say they had a RIGHT to sink them, I said it was inevitable that they would. Germany needed to keep Britan unsupplied. It was also inevitable that it would bring us into the war, much to Hitler's dismay.

BTW, many of the ships did fly American flags and were part of our merchant (and subsequently military) fleet. Educate yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_ship

We did the same thing to Japanese and Dutch ships in the Pacific before Pearl, sending oil and rubber to the bottom of the sea.

So which way is it? Either it is an act of war or it isn't.

Is it not an act of war if WE do it? Is it an act of war when anyone intentionally targets civilians?

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:56 am

TerryRC wrote:Iraq security forces fire 1,300 deserters

Do you think that this won't go on the moment we leave? Hell, it is going on now.

The only way to have victory in Iraq is to occupy it for the foreseeable future.

Agreed...
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:02 am

TerryRC wrote:It's ironic though that both you and Steph cite this as an act of war but when German U-boats were sinking private ships bearing the US flag, you both said in the previous forum that the US we interfering in the internal business of another country by aiding England and thus Germany had a right to sink those ships.

I didn't say they had a RIGHT to sink them, I said it was inevitable that they would. Germany needed to keep Britan unsupplied. It was also inevitable that it would bring us into the war, much to Hitler's dismay.

BTW, many of the ships did fly American flags and were part of our merchant (and subsequently military) fleet. Educate yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_ship

We did the same thing to Japanese and Dutch ships in the Pacific before Pearl, sending oil and rubber to the bottom of the sea.

So which way is it? Either it is an act of war or it isn't.

Is it not an act of war if WE do it? Is it an act of war when anyone intentionally targets civilians?

I have no idea what you're talking about? Stephanie cited ONE sinking and that was the extent of our discussion on charter ships, until you joined the conversation.

I didn't say anything about the US targeting ships or Germany targeting ships or the US Merchant fleet. You came up with all of that out of the blue Lib.

If you want to discuss targeting civilian ships as an act of war and who did what, you're going to have to start over.

Last edited by Aaron on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:04 am

TerryRC wrote:Iraq security forces fire 1,300 deserters

What do you mean by "victory in Iraq"? What would constitute victory?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:05 am

That means "forever", Aaron. Unless you want to have a bigger civil war than the one going on now the moment we leave (if we can even keep the Iraqi police and security forces manned - so far it has been a shambles).

Brazil just found a buttload of oil. Perhaps we had better begin our invasion plans...

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:07 am

What do you mean by "victory in Iraq"? What would constitute victory?

Aaron's phrase, not mine.

His idea of victory would be a stable, non-theocratic Iraq.

We may get that if we occupy the country for the next 50-100 years. Then again, we may never get it or be able to leave.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:08 am

Aaron wrote:Maybe it's time you came out of the 60's Ziggy and into today.

Maybe it's time you came out of the 40s and 50s and "into today".
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:10 am

TerryRC wrote:The only way to have victory in Iraq is to occupy it for the foreseeable future.

That means "forever", Aaron. Unless you want to have a bigger civil war than the one going on now the moment we leave (if we can even keep the Iraqi police and security forces manned - so far it has been a shambles).

Brazil just found a buttload of oil. Perhaps we had better begin our invasion plans...

So which is it TC, the forseeable future or forever? These are your words here!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:12 am

I didn't say anything about the US targeting ships or Germany targeting ships or the US Merchant fleet. You came up with all of that out of the blue Lib.

Your memory ain't so good. You compared a justified war with Germany to an unjustified war in Iraq.

Don't make the analogy if you can't defend it, Aaron. Don't make statements that you are ignorant on (such as the liberty ships didn't fly American flags), either.

By the way, you calling me a "lib", not because I really am, but because I don't agree with the actions in Iraq shows that you are emotionally about 10 years old.

Of course we knew that from your bullying and insulting form of debate.

Carry on. This is amusing.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:14 am

Ah, just read the thread, Aaron. I explained it in my post to Ziggy.

Also, that is why I put "forever" in quotes.

Since you are the expert, Aaron, tell me how long we will need to be there to secure "victory".

After that you can have your snack and lay down with the other students for your nap.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:52 am

TerryRC wrote:I didn't say anything about the US targeting ships or Germany targeting ships or the US Merchant fleet. You came up with all of that out of the blue Lib.

Your memory ain't so good. You compared a justified war with Germany to an unjustified war in Iraq.

Don't make the analogy if you can't defend it, Aaron. Don't make statements that you are ignorant on (such as the liberty ships didn't fly American flags), either.

By the way, you calling me a "lib", not because I really am, but because I don't agree with the actions in Iraq shows that you are emotionally about 10 years old.

Of course we knew that from your bullying and insulting form of debate.

Carry on. This is amusing.

I didn't compare anything. Stephanie's logic did.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:57 am

I didn't compare anything. Stephanie's logic did.

No, you did, and I quote:

Should we have left Germany in 1945? I've ask you that twice but you've never answered. Why is that?

The fact is, you do the same thing here that BO is attempting to do to John McCain. You take what is said and distort it, change it around and call it 'endless occupation'. That was your statement last night ONE thread AFTER I said we should have never gone to Iraq. I'll trust that smart people knew exactly what I was saying on the old forum, which is the same thing I'm saying now, whether they agree with it or not.

I want our military out as soon as possible but not one minute TOO soon. I'm sorry you can't comprehend that but the way I see it, that's your problem, not mine.

I pointed out that you were wrong about something, again. Time to call me a "lib" again?

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:59 am

TerryRC wrote:I didn't compare anything. Stephanie's logic did.

No, you did, and I quote:

Should we have left Germany in 1945? I've ask you that twice but you've never answered. Why is that?

The fact is, you do the same thing here that BO is attempting to do to John McCain. You take what is said and distort it, change it around and call it 'endless occupation'. That was your statement last night ONE thread AFTER I said we should have never gone to Iraq. I'll trust that smart people knew exactly what I was saying on the old forum, which is the same thing I'm saying now, whether they agree with it or not.

I want our military out as soon as possible but not one minute TOO soon. I'm sorry you can't comprehend that but the way I see it, that's your problem, not mine.

I pointed out that you were wrong about something, again. Time to call me a "lib" again?

You're wrong Lib. Again. The question was separate from the statement Lib. Don't you get tired of being wrong Lib!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:23 am

Aaron, it is clear who brought Germany into this conversation.

Go back and reread the thread.

In hindsight, perhaps you had better not. We see how you act when someone proves you wrong.

Get that nap soon. You are getting cranky.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next